PM2 - why not little bigger blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Lil bit of both LOL. It was in the works.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

senorsquare wrote:While I would prefer to see a compression lock and tip up option on the military, that knife works so good that I have no problem using it as is. It is definitely worth a look-see if you've never tried one. You may be surprised at how much you like it, I know I was.

Wait, what? Is this a joke or was there some announcement I missed?
well, there has been talk of it. Sal even said it will run concurrently with the military. It's just way back in the drawing board stage yet.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A longer blade would make it a PMP...
Para Military Pinochio...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Just as the super-popular Manix 2 made way for the Manix 2 XL, I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen with the Para 2 getting its own XL version down the line. Personally, I think that the Military fills the role of a larger knife with similar blade and handle design, but obviously lacks the compression lock and 4-way clip you desire. If enough people want a Para 2 XL, I'm sure Spyderco will listen to their customers and build one (heck, it would be just like printing money because they know we'd all buy one ;) ). I don't see that happening in the near future, as Spyderco can't even keep up with demand of the current models they make and they likely don't have capacity to add another model at the time, but who knows what will happen down the road. You can keep hoping.

And don't listen to all the guys saying it doesn't make sense to make a Para 2 XL. We know they'll all be in line to buy one in carbon fiber and S90V! :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jabba359 wrote:Just as the super-popular Manix 2 made way for the Manix 2 XL, I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen with the Para 2 getting its own XL version down the line. Personally, I think that the Military fills the role of a larger knife with similar blade and handle design, but obviously lacks the compression lock and 4-way clip you desire. If enough people want a Para 2 XL, I'm sure Spyderco will listen to their customers and build one (heck, it would be just like printing money because they know we'd all buy one ;) ). I don't see that happening in the near future, as Spyderco can't even keep up with demand of the current models they make and they likely don't have capacity to add another model at the time, but who knows what will happen down the road. You can keep hoping.

And don't listen to all the guys saying it doesn't make sense to make a Para 2 XL. We know they'll all be in line to buy one in carbon fiber and S90V! :D

I'm busted! :D
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

jabba359 wrote:Just as the super-popular Manix 2 made way for the Manix 2 XL, I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen with the Para 2 getting its own XL version down the line. Personally, I think that the Military fills the role of a larger knife with similar blade and handle design, but obviously lacks the compression lock and 4-way clip you desire. If enough people want a Para 2 XL, I'm sure Spyderco will listen to their customers and build one (heck, it would be just like printing money because they know we'd all buy one ;) ). I don't see that happening in the near future, as Spyderco can't even keep up with demand of the current models they make and they likely don't have capacity to add another model at the time, but who knows what will happen down the road. You can keep hoping.

Why stop there? S10000V would be more awesome! :D
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

arjay18 wrote: S10000V :D
Oh no! now I need one of those.
O.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

senorsquare wrote:
Wait, what? Is this a joke or was there some announcement I missed?
Sal made a simple comment over ten years ago saying they were planning for a Military 2 with a stop lock.... Nothing has ever come of it. It is not going to happen, and you can only say it was once being planned, and there might be a folder for it somewhere in Golden, Colorado covered in dust. But that's about it. It's certainly nothing that is even remotely close to being "in the pipeline".
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:Sal made a simple comment over ten years ago saying they were planning for a Military 2 with a stop lock.... Nothing has ever come of it. It is not going to happen, and you can only say it was once being planned, and there might be a folder for it somewhere in Golden, Colorado covered in dust. But that's about it. It's certainly nothing that is even remotely close to being "in the pipeline".
Actually one of the protos at the Eugene knife show had a stop lock (though not a Military), and as I understand it, the stop lock Military is still in the works, here's picture of the patent on it.

This is from BF:

The Military is a large folder (4" blade) in a light package that carries easily. The distal tapered full flat grind uses high performance steels and cuts quite well. It's easily used with gloves.

It's been continuously refined for the past 10+ years.

The Military2, while still being engineered, will have a 4 way clip.

sal
ourgon

Post by ourgon »

jabba359 wrote:And don't listen to all the guys saying it doesn't make sense to make a Para 2 XL. We know they'll all be in line to buy one in carbon fiber and S90V! :D
I know.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I am waiting on the Military 2 with compression lock and 4 way clip.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ourgon wrote:I know.
but it's not gonna happen in the next two years though...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

You could always grind down the butt end of the current Para2 to get the blade/handle ratio to your liking.

TedP
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The point of the Paramilitary line was to be a smaller version of the Military. It already grew a half inch, any more and you may as well make it a completely different model. I'm not saying I wouldn't love a 4 inch compression lock knife, but leave the Para 2 the way it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
endgame

Post by endgame »

Id rather see a spyderedge pm2.I like the military the way it is don't mess with perfection.a all stainless steel pm2 would be killer . I like heavier knives and I haven't found one spyderco that could be considered too heavy.I feel light knives are not strong enough I no that's wrong but that's just how they feel in my hand.they cant get pm2s out fast enough to get a longer one commisioned you would be waiting forever.
Justa

Post by Justa »

It doesnt matter to me what happens with the paramilitary since the handle is too small for my hand and I dont carry them but I have always wondered about the unused space on the para and military so I can see where the op is coming from. I'll buy that the para has a purposely reduced blade size for legal carry reasons. Not sure how useful this is though since, here at least, if the police want to take issue with you for carrying a knife they can/will even if the blade is slightly under the legal carry limit.

There doesnt seem to be any reason for the smaller blade on the military though. The handle goes on for an additional half inch past the blade when closed on mine. Since the blade is already long, what is the point of not using all the space available? The blade could be at least a quarter inch longer without coming close to the edge of the scales. I still like the knife and dont really need a longer blade but I do wonder why they chose to design it that way.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They stretched it almost half an inch last time. There has to be some difference between the Para2 and Military, otherwise...why make the latter? That and the Para2/Manix2 at 3.5" and under qualify for FAR more carry laws than 3.5"+.

I would probably just buy a Military, Szabo, Police, Endura, Vallaton, Navaha, Tuff, Ulize or the others.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Justa wrote:It doesnt matter to me what happens with the paramilitary since the handle is too small for my hand and I dont carry them but I have always wondered about the unused space on the para and military so I can see where the op is coming from. I'll buy that the para has a purposely reduced blade size for legal carry reasons. Not sure how useful this is though since, here at least, if the police want to take issue with you for carrying a knife they can/will even if the blade is slightly under the legal carry limit.

There doesnt seem to be any reason for the smaller blade on the military though. The handle goes on for an additional half inch past the blade when closed on mine. Since the blade is already long, what is the point of not using all the space available? The blade could be at least a quarter inch longer without coming close to the edge of the scales. I still like the knife and dont really need a longer blade but I do wonder why they chose to design it that way.
For one thing to keep the blade under the 4" length for legal reasons and to
have a longer handle for glove use and for more leverage and bigger hands.

The legal length is not a factor until there is a situation, such as using it for personal protection.
Then it will be very important that it is under the legal limit.