lava sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

lava sprint

Post by endgame »

Anyone as excited for this one to come out as I am?.I have a ss version and love it cant wait together one I can beat on.just wish it wasn't snuff blue.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm psyched. And for the colour.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm psyched. And for the colour.
Me too, on both counts.

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

of cause. I want it. I love the knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Just got an SS version, and that is all I need. I might go G10...but not that horrible blue color.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely looking forward to it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm excited for it. I've always loved the design of the Lava, but hate SS handles. For this reason, I've never picked one up. Fortunately, this will fix my only issue with the knife. If you don't like the blue G-10, it looks like it'll have screw construction and should be fairly easy to swap out the scales for another material or color.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have the SS Lava, and I like it. I'm looking forward to the G-10 version, but blue is low on the list of preferred colors. Blue seems like a strange color for a "Lava". Orange, yellow or red would seem to fit better to me (a nice burgundy would've been very nice), but, I'll definitely still get one.
:bug-red-white
GSO

Post by GSO »

Blue is my color. This thing's calling to me.

Although I generally don't like the extra weight of stainless steel handles, I think I appreciate the heft of the original model. I hope the sprint isn't so light that I feel like I'm holding a very different knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

GSO wrote:Blue is my color. This thing's calling to me.

Although I generally don't like the extra weight of stainless steel handles, I think I appreciate the heft of the original model. I hope the sprint isn't so light that I feel like I'm holding a very different knife.
Assuming the posted specs are correct, it will be less than a quarter ounce lighter. The Mid-Year Supplement catalog shows the G-10 Sprint Lava at 2.8 oz. and the online catalog shows the SS version at 3.0 oz.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GSO

Post by GSO »

The Deacon wrote:Assuming the posted specs are correct, it will be less than a quarter ounce lighter. The Mid-Year Supplement catalog shows the G-10 Sprint Lava at 2.8 oz. and the online catalog shows the SS version at 3.0 oz.
Thanks for the specs. I'm not sure if I can discern 0.2 oz in the hand. I suppose that's a good thing.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have the ss version but I am afraid to even take the plastic coating that comes on the scales cause they are so hard to find. it fits so perfect in hand.I went on the hunt for a ss version to use so I can keep this one unused and after a week of searching I only found one for $275.ouch!I allready paid for two of the sprint runs cause that is all they allow.I will feel much better beating a blue one up. They are due out in August just 3000 of them.made in seki city so they shouldn't be late.if you never had a lava in hand you must best feeling knife in hand ever.the ss are as hard to find as the ss poliwog but a great member here from overseas helped me out with that thanks J .you no who you are.do youreself a favorite and get one of these no matter what color you will be sorry if you miss out trust me the mark up will be huge.
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Looks pretty good to me! I'll probably get one. I love the smurf blue handles.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

3,000 piece run? Is that right? Seems like a large sprint run.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Is there a pre-order?
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

endgame wrote:...just 3000 of them.made in seki city...
gbelleh wrote:3,000 piece run? Is that right? Seems like a large sprint run.
Yeah, I'm doubting those numbers as well. Endgame, can you share where you heard the number 3000?

A normal sprint run from Japan is usually 1000-1200 pieces. Considering the MSRP on the Lava sprint is fairly high and the knife fairly small and with no super steel (all things that tend to dissuade people from buying), I find it hard to believe that Spyderco would order anything more than the minimum for the run.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Paul10

Post by Paul10 »

I was thinking about this one as well. Looks like Knifecenter has it up for pre-order now.
endgame

Post by endgame »

One of the websites offering preorder.I forget wich one I will look again though.I allready paid for 2 at knife center just waiting till they getem.my stainless lava is a gem.wonder how its going to feel with g-10.man I just cant wait till August.commingled from Japan so they should be onetime I hope.I like the fact they are only letting people order 2 so the ebay heads wont buyem all up and jack the price up.the way the lava feels in you're hand is so nice.perfect fit.I wish the toyed with some different blade styles.I saw a thread were a member reprifiled one to a warncliff blade now that is awesome.maybe try reverse s serrated - plane edge- or hawkbill blade. I didn't collect spydies back when this knife came out.was it a bad seller?I just don't see anyreason to discontinue it .you can do so much with different blade styles and scales.cf- jade- frn-titanium or micarta.I would buy them all
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I doubt this sprint will disappear in minutes, or command ridiculous flipper prices like the Para 2s. The funky looking design, blue color, and price should keep many buyers away. I'm sure it will be a great knife though. I'm looking forward to seeing how the G-10 version compares to the SS.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

gbelleh wrote:Blue seems like a strange color for a "Lava". Orange, yellow or red would seem to fit better to me...
It might be a good candidate for some of those kirinite scales I saw on the concept Natives in the case at Blade. Swirly orange, red, black. Definitely looks a lot more like lava than blue G-10.

TedP