Any news on the Pygmy Warrior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

I'm real interested in a Taylor/Spyderco Sifu model. I think that's going to be very nice tactical folder at this stage of the game. I've been carrying/using a REKAT Savant for the past several months and am very pleased with it as a everyday use utility folder. Pigmy Warrior sounds likewise super interesting project. Just hope the sheath is as good as the knife.
GW
linos

Post by linos »

any news on the Pygmy and the pocket hobbit?
linos

Post by linos »

is no news, good news... or bad news? :p
linos

Post by linos »

come on guys...i am dying here....
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I feel your pain, linos. Looking on the bright side, though, if "all good things come to those who wait," then I'd say we're in for one heck of a surprise when these models are finally released.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Bought a Folding Hobbit and a Sifu when they first came out. Sold them both to a friend of mine. Just got the Folding Hobbit back from him in a trade. The Sifu is a serious knife, but my model had one serious problem, just one finger's worth of pressure on the back of the point and it folded up fast! Sent it back to Bob Taylor with an explanation. He took it apart and said it spec'd out perfectly. In my phone message you could hear him banging it on a table. When I got the knife in the mail you could see the marks of the desk just about midway on the back of the blade. I pushed on the tip and the knife folded like a wet noodle. You couldn't keep that bugger open. Really looking forward to the Spyderco versions of both.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Hopefully we'll see the Pymy Warrior soon. Last word I got was March/April. We'll see; ETA has been pushed back several times.
linos

Post by linos »

maybe at the Blade show?
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

This is great news, Sal!

BTW - My article on Mike Echanis will be out in the June/July issue of Black Belt.

It centers on Mike's journey as a Wounded Warrior and his incredible recovery / rehabilitation.

And (documented) his role as the Senior Instructor for Special Forces in H2H as well as what actually occurred in Nicaragua at the time of his passing and who was responsible.

It is the only article on Mike authorized and assisted with by the Echanis Family.

Great new / unpublished information about Mike and same with photos. I believe you'll find it interesting.
GW
linos

Post by linos »

Got to talk to Mike at the blade show....unfortunately the production dates of the Pygmy and few other knives has been pushed back once more...but i did got to see and handle the prototype.There was a sign for not taking pics so there isn't any......
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

linos wrote:Got to talk to Mike at the blade show....unfortunately the production dates of the Pygmy and few other knives has been pushed back once more...but i did got to see and handle the prototype.There was a sign for not taking pics so there isn't any......
What was it like? Is it exactly like the pictures, or have they made any changes? Did you see the sheath?
Just got: Green FFG Endura
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

It's like waiting for Christmas :) . With Bob Taylor's direct input as to maintaining the integrity of the original design features as well as a high quality sheath for carry / storage the Pigmy will be a very attractive package for SD/Combatives. Sal is clearly doing it right in line with all the other concerns there are in manufacturing not just one but a large number of knives and new product. As with the Spyderco Warrior the Pigmy Warrior is getting correct/accurate credit to its design source (Randy Wanner/Bob Taylor) regardless of previous manufacture sources (i.e. AMK and the various custom makers who created limited numbers or prototypes.

Case in point - if there is one knife that is truly an Echanis - Hwa Rang Do preference during the period Mike Echanis was in play it is the Gerber MK II. Mike began training with it post wounding / recovery and re-entry into the martial arts in Ontario, Oregon; visited Gerber personally regarding an evolution of the design with his input; brought the Mark II to Fort Bragg/SF and Little Creek/UDT/SEAL students and then took the standard issue Mark II to Panama (training SF in Panama in combatives, land and water) and then Nicaragua.

Wanner/Taylor brought the Warrior to life and its seen some nice evolutions and continued use/application ever since. The Pigmy Warrior will become, IMHO, a very popular knife within the military, para military and contractor circles once it hits the market.
GW