Fluted Carbon Fiber

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
black

Post by black »

CarbonFiberNut wrote: One of the things turning me off from the current preorders for the CF Native 5 is the S110V steel - I will already have a knife in that particular supersteel if I buy the forum knife, so I don't really need another.

CarbonFiberNut is preferring G10 Native over the CF Native? What's going on here?

I would understand this: "I will already have a knife in that particular supersteel if I buy the Native 5 CF, so I don't really need the forum knife but I still want it."
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

The fact that there is ANOTHER cf native, linerless, in the pipeline is what intrigues me. If I buy the forum knife, cf/s110v, and the fluted, that's excessive.

For as much of a nut I am, I tend to avoid duplicates of a given model if I can. The fluted appeals to me more, and the forum knife is a better value. Gotta attempt to be kind to the old wallet.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Any indication of what steel the fluted CF scales will enclose?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:Wait! What?
I'm sorry, I musta misread that ;)
Ken
+1 :eek:
CarbonFiberNut wrote:If I buy the forum knife, cf/s110v, and the fluted, that's excessive.
absolutely not
CarbonFiberNut wrote: For as much of a nut I am, I tend to avoid duplicates of a given model if I can. The fluted appeals to me more, and the forum knife is a better value. Gotta attempt to be kind to the old wallet.
CarbonFiberNut,
You need to make your story straight. I am not alone. Ken seems to be confused as well. It looks like, that you are on the slippery slope. I am afraid that one day I will hear from you that you do not need CF Fluted Para2, because you already have CF Fluted Native.
You either CFNut, so take second mortgage, rob a bank, do whatever it takes to get all CF :spyder: . I can recall one guy on USN was willing to give away his right nut for the knife. These two Natives are not the same. One will have Peel ply CF and S110V, second will have fluted CF. And somebody with CFNut name must to have both.
Your second option would be to change you forum name to something like "CF is OK for me" :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

bh49 wrote: Your second option would be to change you forum name to something like "CF is OK for me" :)
Lol!

A linerless version sounds intriguing to me! I wonder if the S110V blade could be swapped in to create the ultimate Native!
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bh49 wrote: Your second option would be to change you forum name to something like "CF is OK for me" :)
If I follow your advice, I'll have to change my forum name to "Sleeping on the couch is OK for me"
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:If I follow your advice, I'll have to change my forum name to "Sleeping on the couch is OK for me"
....and... Your point is? ;)

Happily, we just bought a new couch. It's quite comfortable ;)

Ken
玉鋼
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

How much is the referenced Native expected to retail for? $200+ ?
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I really like the Fluted CF Para 2. Handles were a little thicker than g10 and I actually really liked it. Favorite knife at the show
I didn't like the Native 5 as much. It felt too thin in my hand, thinner than the Fluted Titanium 5.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Eric said that the thicker scales on the fluted CF Para2 at the Blade show were a manufacturing error and that the production version would have thinner, more svelte scales.

TedP
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

phillipsted wrote:Eric said that the thicker scales on the fluted CF Para2 at the Blade show were a manufacturing error and that the production version would have thinner, more svelte scales.

TedP
Ooh, I do like a svelte knife :)
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

phillipsted wrote:Eric said that the thicker scales on the fluted CF Para2 at the Blade show were a manufacturing error and that the production version would have thinner, more svelte scales.

TedP
I saw that you posted that :(
Well that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd hope they aren't thinner than the g10 version!
The thicker handles just felt right to me
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:If I follow your advice, I'll have to change my forum name to "Sleeping on the couch is OK for me"
Is this a problem? :D A little price to pay for CF Native. I am slipping on the couch for a while. I sold my bed to get my desert ironwood scales :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

I will need to borrow money, sell stuff, perhaps even not buy certain medication, but this para 2 is a must for me! I just hope pre orders don't come out while I am in the hospital for a bit this coming friday + a week after x.x not only would I feel like crap from my surgeries, but knowing I am possibly missing a chance at my fav knife, double whammie! x.x lol. Thanks phil for the heads up + info! Sounds like amazing stuff! A linerless native sounds awesome too, but I dont think my funds will allow for that. It would be cool to know the steel+ availability on these. I am also scared to say, but with these natives coming out in s110v.... a para 2 fluted CF in s110v? my god all mighty... lol
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Could be worse at least your still inside the house, plus you can get up in the middle night without disturbing anyone to go and look at your knife collection.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

This sounds expensive, but I'll certainly enjoy the pictures :D
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

Sounds like I might need to buy a couple of knives this year.
DBH

Post by DBH »

Great news. A carbon fiber pm2 fluted sounds killer to me.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

ZL1 wrote:I saw that you posted that :(
Well that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd hope they aren't thinner than the g10 version!
The thicker handles just felt right to me
For me, the thicker scales felt a bit chunky compared with the standard. A bit of personal preference, I guess...

The one thing I like is that the fluted CF scales on both the Para and the Native were nicely contoured. Sort of like the fluted Ti Millie - the edges of the scales are a bit thinner than the center of the scale. It gives it a slightly better grip in hand when coupled with the fluting. I kind of liked them...

Also, I wanted to mention again that the look of the fluted CF is *astounding*. You almost can't see the fluting at all - it sort of blends into the weave of the CF until you catch it at the right angle. Very understated and very classy. This one will be a huge hit - and if it ships with a good steel - may displace the S90V sprint as many folks' "grail" Para2.

TedP
Holland

Post by Holland »

hahahahhaha :D

what you could do is make a zombie native and put the s110v blade on the fluted handle ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE