Another great reason to love my knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

Another great reason to love my knife

Post by casey1 »

I don't post here much, but I check it every now and then. The other day, however, I thought of this place when I woke up to get ready for work. I was about 30 minutes from leaving when I realized that the night before I spilled water all over my Sage 1. I saw a little discoloring on the tang, and did not want to enter the work day knowing it was starting to corrode.

With thirty minutes and no time for a Youtube how-to, I got out my screwdriver and went to work with it and Flitz.

I got to work in time. Taking it apart was obvious and easy. Putting it together was all the same. Getting it to center took a good 5 minutes, but that was nothing like the nightmare that occured when I decided I was going to take my Delica apart. Everything was so easy. Even washer fitting was cake. Cake with ice cream.

So with that said I'm forever sold on the Sage series. At least the first one and the second one. Simple and perfect.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Taking apart lockbacks is a nightmare
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Being able to take your knife apart for cleaning is worth about as much to me as the knife itself, almost. I've always used knives that cost less than $20 so replacing them after they fell in a mud hole or something was easier than with a $100+ knife (for me anyway). That IS definately another reason to love a knife. Knowing this is an easy option gives me a peace of mind about carrying them also. Congratulations of finding this out through experience. Back locks are a little more difficult but after one or two times they are easy too. The only other knife I've taken apart is a Manix2. For that one I'm very glad I had a youtube video to guide me. The order you put the parts back together makes it pretty easy or a lot harder. But now you can feel comfortable about your Sage being used and if a little dirt gets in there a 10 minute project will clean it up. :D

Jack
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I haven't had any problems taking any of mine apart. The key step for me is putting a couple of layers of painters tape on the edge so I don't slice my hand up trying to get it back together.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

+1
jackknifeh wrote:Being able to take your knife apart for cleaning is worth about as much to me as the knife itself, almost. I've always used knives that cost less than $20 so replacing them after they fell in a mud hole or something was easier than with a $100+ knife (for me anyway). That IS definately another reason to love a knife. Knowing this is an easy option gives me a peace of mind about carrying them also. Congratulations of finding this out through experience. Back locks are a little more difficult but after one or two times they are easy too. The only other knife I've taken apart is a Manix2. For that one I'm very glad I had a youtube video to guide me. The order you put the parts back together makes it pretty easy or a lot harder. But now you can feel comfortable about your Sage being used and if a little dirt gets in there a 10 minute project will clean it up. :D

Jack
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

senorsquare wrote:I haven't had any problems taking any of mine apart. The key step for me is putting a couple of layers of painters tape on the edge so I don't slice my hand up trying to get it back together.

Speaking of tips, a good idea is to take the knife apart on a towel or something that screws and little parts won't bounce far WHEN you drop them accidentally. I use the tape also but I'd rather get a little nick than loose a screw. I've dropped a couple that it took me about 2 yours to find. If you haven't noticed these knives don't come with extra parts. :) One time a screw fell in the little trash can beside me. Luckily it was only full of paper and dry stuff. Not the kitchen trash that may have grosser stuff in there.