Do you always keep your knife boxes?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Post by endgame »

My God that's 1/4 of the value along with the paperwork it is s must.even if you don't resell
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

endgame wrote:My God that's 1/4 of the value along with the paperwork it is s must.even if you don't resell
I think that's stretching it a bit. I buy knives to put in my pocket and cut things, not to keep their "value" as defined by ebay sales.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
nccole

Post by nccole »

I keep all mine in a shoe box (full now :D ) I have no intention of ever selling any of them, or not using them, so I am not sure why I keep them. I just like having them I guess.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I purchase knives second hand often and I appreciate receiving knives with the box. Adds to the new knife purchase excitement a little bit. I've learned to keep the boxes. Why not.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

"Do you always keep your knife boxes?"

Absolutely. I have kept every box that every knife came in, with the exception of one or two knives that were perchased second-hand that came without boxes. (This applies to my other non-Spydie knives as well). :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I keep every box and store my knives in them. If I ever did sell one I would assume the buyer would appreciate it, I would if I was the purchaser. Resale aside it also keeps all the paperwork together.
BD583

Post by BD583 »

I buy lots of older NEW or LIKE-NEW knives from the secondary market. If the knife does not have the box in at least fairly decent shape than I do not even consider it for purchase (it would have to be a very rare knife.) It's just part of the value for modern production collector knives. It is the same for the US coin coin sets.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used to keep them all but after i passed the 40 mark I started throwing them. I usually keep sprint run boxes with the little paper in them but I'm not planning on selling them. Also mule team boxes are quite large along with other fixed blade boxes. Unfortunately I may have thrown a brand new M390 mule away when I cleaned out my boxes. I'm hoping it's hiding somewhere though.
Sir Ringo

Post by Sir Ringo »

I keep all of mine. The box has the made date on them. I always write the purchase date on the box and then have both dates for comparison later if needed.
Orange Dodo, Jason Breeden Rescue, PM 2 Digi Cam & all black, Delica 4 FRN Green & Purple, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 Moonglow, Sage 1
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

yes, like old times, the matchbox toycars and its boxes..... :)
Tom
Holland

Post by Holland »

im always buying and selling knives, so keeping the boxes is a necessity to hold resale value
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I keep all my boxes. It makes it a lot easier to move a knife if it has the box when the time comes.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Yes, I keep them...because everybody else does...The only time they come in handy is when I sell one to somebody else - they get the complete package - which makes the sale seem more legit...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
ominodipietra

Post by ominodipietra »

Hey, thank you for all the feedback and opinions!
I think I'm also going to keep all my boxes.
Good news, I have just found a missing Ambitious box: it was hidden inside a bigger Fox knife box :)
- Gabriele

Le montagne sono il principio e la fine di ogni scenario naturale.
http://ominodipietra.wordpress.com
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I didn't always, but lately I have been doing so.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

Yup, in case I decide to sell it, it will have a better value. I can sell it as new for example.
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I keep all my knives in their boxes when not carrying them. The knives are in a cabinet sorted by model number. It's much harder to do that sans-box.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I keep all my boxes. They come in handy if you want to sell them. I have gifted 5 or 6 of mine to family members and I really enjoyed watching them un-wrap and open the boxes.
Salty

Post by Salty »

What an interesting question - must be making a new movie based on people asking arcane questions.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

akaAK wrote:I didn't for the first three (FRN Native, SS Pro Venataur, SS DFly). But about 65 later I have all of the rest.

Ones that are not in heavy rotation sit in their original box. I find it an easy way to store and retrieve knifes as needed.

It may add to the value if it is a safe queen or rare sprint. You can't use the term new in box or like new in box without it.

Will you be keeping boxes?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Enjoy your stay.
I'm exactly the same. The ones in current rotation (8 or so) stay in a small Spyderpac.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple