Cruwear Mule Finished!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ricechrispy

Cruwear Mule Finished!

Post by ricechrispy »

Just finished making the handle for my Cruwear mule. For this one, I chose to use maroon linen micarta and black micarta pins. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. I was a little careless and there's a bite from my belt sander on the spine, but I'm not too worried about that since I plan on using this as a camping knife. Apparently Cruwear is decently stain resistant for being non-stainless. I tried to force a patina without any success. The picture was taken after I let it soak in a cup of apple cider vinegar for about 4 hours.

In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Really outstanding, beautiful job!
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Very nice looks like a lot of sandpaper work.Awesome finish!
Thanks for show :)
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Thanks for the compliments. I did do a decent amount of sanding. Progressed up to 500 grit and then used black and then red rubbing compound with polishing wheels on my drill.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Nice job! So smooth! What did u use for the pins if you dont mind me asking...
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Cheddarnut wrote:Nice job! So smooth! What did u use for the pins if you dont mind me asking...
This.
ricechrispy wrote:For this one, I chose to use maroon linen micarta and black micarta pins.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Looks fantastic, ricechrispy! Nicely done! (I love burgundy micarta...)

TedP
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Lookin good!
Hold Fast

David
BAL

Post by BAL »

very very nice ricechrispy. Thanks for sharing. Great work.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Pretty! The micarta pins are a nice touch.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Thanks, all!
Pockets wrote:Pretty! The micarta pins are a nice touch.
Thanks, Pockets. This is the second mule I've used micarta pins on and I really like them. I think they look great, and I like the fact that everything I'm sanding is equally hard. My first mule was Ipe (wood) with brass pins and I found I had very subtle high spots at each of the pins since they were harder than the surrounding wood.
In chronological order:
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Great job! That burgundy micarta is drool inducing.
:spyder:
Dan
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

ricechrispy wrote:Thanks, all!

Thanks, Pockets. This is the second mule I've used micarta pins on and I really like them. I think they look great, and I like the fact that everything I'm sanding is equally hard. My first mule was Ipe (wood) with brass pins and I found I had very subtle high spots at each of the pins since they were harder than the surrounding wood.
I know what you mean; I've had that happen too. I don't recall having raised spots with small diameter pins, however.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks great, nice work!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Great job. I like the micarta pins as well. I may check on this when I put handles on another fixed blade. Are they actually pins or are they plugs with a steel pin in the middle? I sure do think micarta is hard enough to make pins out of. Either way, I like the looks of them.

I've made a few handles for paring and slicing kitchen knives. I only used pins on a couple of them. Do the pins make the handle stronger somehow? Or are they there mainly for appearance? Till now I've just used epoxy on all of them with no trouble. The knives don't get used hard though like a camping knife would.

Jack
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks good!! :) John
ominodipietra

Post by ominodipietra »

Looks great! I really like the final color too.
- Gabriele

Le montagne sono il principio e la fine di ogni scenario naturale.
http://ominodipietra.wordpress.com
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Really nicely done. Beautiful knife.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

jackknifeh wrote:Great job. I like the micarta pins as well. I may check on this when I put handles on another fixed blade. Are they actually pins or are they plugs with a steel pin in the middle? I sure do think micarta is hard enough to make pins out of. Either way, I like the looks of them.

I've made a few handles for paring and slicing kitchen knives. I only used pins on a couple of them. Do the pins make the handle stronger somehow? Or are they there mainly for appearance? Till now I've just used epoxy on all of them with no trouble. The knives don't get used hard though like a camping knife would.

Jack
Hey Jack,

The pins are 3/16" micarta rod. Here's an image:

I'm by no means an expert, but I think the pins do add strength. It seems like they would help mitigate any shearing force that is put on the scales. I'm sure that metal pins would be somewhat stronger, but my understanding is that it doesn't really matter since they're not the weakest link (epoxy is).
In chronological order:
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Alright, I got tired of looking at that terribly-lit photo I posted earlier, so I borrowed my wife's camera and took a much better photo of the Cruwear mule along with my two previous mule projects and a newly acquired Bark River Bravo 1.5.

In chronological order: