Byrd Meadowlark 2 - impressions and pics

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
gbelleh

Byrd Meadowlark 2 - impressions and pics

Post by gbelleh »

I originally posted this in late 2010. But I'm reposting it here in the Byrd forum.

------------------

I received a new Byrd Meadowlark 2 yesterday. I've been looking forward to the new Byrds mainly for the new pocket clips. I found the original Byrd clips so pants-ripping strong that they're pretty much useless and removed them from all my Byrds.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the new Meadowlark. This is pretty much a Delica with a choil and different steel. The Delica is still worth the price difference, IMO because it does have some nice touches and refinement that the Byrd lacks, not to mention better steel. But, for $20 this is an amazing value!

I really like the new blade shape, and smaller hole. I also like the look of the FRN pattern and the lack of holes in the scales in the new Byrd. And of course, the pocket clip is much improved, and has just the right tension.

Here are some pics of the Meadowlark 2, side by side with an original Meadowlark and a FFG Delica 4. Great improvements! :D

:bug-red-white
Nemonomicon

Post by Nemonomicon »

I agree, a fantastic value. I work in a warehouse and I'm constantly cutting stretch-film (some call it shrink-wrap,) taped and corrugated cartons. I have the CE version and it performs the job I need it to do. My only complaint with the knife is the finger choil. The protruding "Nub" just before the edge digs into my finger a bit. I wonder if I can file that down somehow?
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

i carried one for the first time today, since i couldn't find my benchmade minigrip this morning.
still haven't found it :(
anyways, the byrd worked ok, but i really, really don't like the byrd hole.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gbelleh,

Thanx for the comments and great pics. As with Spyderco designs, the byrd designs are a "work in progress" and will get continual refinement. Glad you like it.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Nemonomicon wrote:.. The protruding "Nub" just before the edge digs into my finger a bit. I wonder if I can file that down somehow?
If I understand the question correctly, it is the protrusion right before the edge starts, usually referred as 'kick'. You can smoothen it out, but not filing it down. It serves to prevent the blade edge hitting the backspacer / spring when closing the knife.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

sweet.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

great beater knife
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yea its a beater I us mine surfcasting.I have had to break the rust of before but still sharp and strong
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Kind of wish the Delica had a choil like that.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

kennethsime wrote:Kind of wish the Delica had a choil like that.
Agreed, I have both... and every time I use my delica I wish that it had that finger choil like the cheaper meadowlark.
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10