What ever happened to the WHITE FRN Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

What ever happened to the WHITE FRN Spydercos?

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

What was it, a few years ago? There were Delicas and Dragonflies and Enduras and such made with white FRN handles. ... They seemed to be popular, as I recall, and for the novelty I bought 1 each of those three and also a Ladybug, knowing that I would hold onto them as an investment (I had never done that with a knife before).

Lately I don't see any mention of them having ever existed. Anyone here have one as a USER? I know that some people experimented with dyeing the handle scales; I was never sure of they got that to work out. (Did the dyeing process harm or weaken the plastic in any way?) Apart from those four models, were any others done in white?
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

There was a Goddard model produced in white, but that one was micarta..

You're right though, the white models don't even show up on eBay. The last one I saw was that way overpriced NASA model, and even that was a while ago.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The white FRN knives were all Sprint runs and, IIRC, produced as the "overflow" of a special order from an "artist" named Tom Sachs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The Deacon wrote:The white FRN knives were all Sprint runs and, IIRC, produced as the "overflow" of a special order from an "artist" named Tom Sachs.
Ah..so from the same fellow that posted the overpriced NASA knife?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sadly I believe most of then have been dyed different colors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx Deacon for sharing that, I didn't know that fact.

I have the white Endura, Delica and Ladybug. I use the white Endura from time to time, not often, but in the summer the white handles come out nice.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
peacefuljeffrey

I did see a link to the discontinued model in the Spyderco catalog that mentioned the artist guy. I didn't go looking for anything about his project, though. I'm a little bit shocked, though: ONE GUY'S request got Spyderco to come out with an entire sprint run across four models?!
Clip

Post by Clip »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sachs_%28artist%29

The term 'artist' is used pretty loosely I've found. But then again, I'd call the employees of Spyderco 'artists' and not think twice about it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Here's the original flyer from back then.

Dennis
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I know one white D'Fly went to a friend as a gift :) It's a shelf queen ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
rycen

Post by rycen »

Long gone but not forgotten by me at least is the one that started it all. The white FRN rescue. Also I thought that it would look striking if the white FRN was combined with a black blade and black hardware "storm trooper".
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

I bought at least one of each when they were out. After using one a bit it got dingy fast.
Sold / traded the NIB set at a small loss. The white FRN is probably best for collectors, or folks who want to dye them.
Not very practical.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
peacefuljeffrey

Clip wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sachs_%28artist%29

The term 'artist' is used pretty loosely I've found. But then again, I'd call the employees of Spyderco 'artists' and not think twice about it.
I watched some of his Apollo video with the two girl astronauts, and I found it kind of interesting.
peacefuljeffrey

MCM wrote:I bought at least one of each when they were out. After using one a bit it got dingy fast.
Sold / traded the NIB set at a small loss. The white FRN is probably best for collectors, or folks who want to dye them.
Not very practical.
For a loss? That surprises me. Having just watched an ordinary Delica 4 sell on eBay for $102.50 (I watched the auction out of morbid curiosity) I can't imagine not being able to sell that set for a profit. I think I'll hold onto mine for a while.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

What happened to the white FRN from the 70s?
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've got a white Ladybug. It's picked up dirt and dye and can prob be reconditioned easy enough. Just haven't bothered. It's different and I do like white FRN :) . Heck, white leather interiors comes as an option in some cars on occasion. If FRN is impractical that is insane.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

StuntDouble wrote:Ah..so from the same fellow that posted the overpriced NASA knife?
It was one of the knives he commissioned and embellished with the the NASA logo, but I don't believe he was the one who listed it on eBay.
gbelleh wrote:What happened to the white FRN from the 70s?
That was the 90's, not the 70's but IIRC, the only one back then was the C14 Rescue which, I believe, was a "special order" for a Canadian fire department. Photos:

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

As for white FRN, it obviously shows dirt more easily than black FRN, but I don't see it being any worse in that regard than yellow, orange, or tan and it does have the advantage of being the best possible vehicle for those who want a "non-standard" color on an FRN handled knife and are willing to dye it. If Spyderco ever decides to make a white FRN VG-10 Stretch I'll definitely be in for at least a couple.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

rycen wrote:Long gone but not forgotten by me at least is the one that started it all. The white FRN rescue. Also I thought that it would look striking if the white FRN was combined with a black blade and black hardware "storm trooper".
I also would like to see a knife with white handle and black blade. Also a Military, with white G10: we invent the Siberian Military!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I bought a 2 white Dragonflies and 1 SE Ladybug in white. All of them were gifted to friends and loved ones. The Ladybug was RIT dyed purple beforehand by request. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Clip wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sachs_(artist)

He works in mixed media, which is often a very misunderstood medium.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David