Spyderco Designer's Insight Series - The Bradley Air

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Spyderco Designer's Insight Series - The Bradley Air

Post by Michael Janich »

In the latest installment of the Designer's Insight Series, renowned custom knifemaker, designer, and former competitive cutting champion Gayle Bradley provides the inside story of his popular Air pocketknife.

We hope you enjoy it!

Stay safe,

Mike

[video=youtube;5i2p2YHQzn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i2p2YHQ ... e=youtu.be[/video]
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Thank you Mike. I really enjoyed the video and you gotta love the bandaid on Mr. Bradley's left index finger. A truly legit knife maker! I also love the quote, "Contracts just make lawyers rich".
I handled the Bradley Air for the first time last week at the local knife store and I definitely have it on my list.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
endgame

Post by endgame »

Well I see my next knife!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I love the Air - it is a fantastic piece of kit. I'm a sucker for small, lightweight, true pocket knives (I never liked the term "gentleman's folder").

Gayle, thanks for taking the time to give us a little history on this knife - and thanks, Mike, for bringing the video to us!

TedP
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Ha I love that even Gayle says that no one uses that other lock release. Maybe in the future they will just eliminate it....
On the hunt for...
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

These are always great. I learn a lot every time you post one. Thank you for continuing this series.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

been tempted to get this for so long. would make a tremendous partner to my m4 Millie, IMO.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Fabulous. Keep 'em coming.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Outstanding.

Love this series.

Of course, I voted "clip" ;)

Ken
玉鋼
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

That was a fun little video! I've talked to Gayle and his wife at shows, they are very nice in person too.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

what did you use to patina yours?

also it's so refreshing to see the trust and respect between Gayle and Sal/spyderco in this day and age.
JoeKansas

Post by JoeKansas »

Thanks for the video. I just received my Air 6 days ago. I would prefer a clip on this knife but it is so small and has such a low profile that it does not bother me to carry it in my pocket. I actually use the first cut out to close the liner lock. I have not carried a small liner lock for a long time. When I first tried closing the knife using the opening hole cut out I was putting too much pressure on the spine of the blade and almost closing it on my thumb. If the lock cut out is used the tang stops on your thumb much like a finger catches in the choil of a lock back knife. I am really pleased with the fit and finish of this knife. Great job Spyderco and Mr. Bradley! Joe.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Great video, thanks. I have much respect for Galye and Sal and the way they do buisness.

I have to say, I really wish the Air had a clip. I just don't like carrying knives deep in my pockets.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Again, a great video! Thanks for putting this together Mike.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

First, thank you again for posting these videos!

I also wish the Air had a clip (or at the very least, a nice pouch). I won't carry a liner lock loose in my pocket. It just seems way too easy for it to open in the pocket.

It's funny that the designer seems a bit unsure of why the second lock cutout is there. I find it way too small to easily use, and seem to always get pinched trying to use it.

Anyway, it's a great little knife, and very interesting to hear the designers' insights.
:bug-red-white
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

he wasn't unsure why the cutout is there. the small one is for the lock access, the large one is the opening hole access.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:he wasn't unsure why the cutout is there. the small one is for the lock access, the large one is the opening hole access.
Right. Unsure of the usefulness of it I guess I should've said.

It's been a while since I've used my Air, but I've been carrying it in my watch pocket today. I almost forgot how feathery light it is. It's nice to look at too. I'm really considering trying to add a clip to it myself.
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Nice video :) Quite enjoyed Mr Bradleys comments to the effect that contracts only make lawyers rich :D Mutual Honor and respect are more powerful than any contract :)

Thanks to everyone involved in making the Air happen :) For me the intended cutout for closing is used :) I can feel for it without looking and makes the knife as effortless to close as it does to open.

The Air is truly oustanding :eek:
Attachments
air.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Nice to see another video in this informative series! Keep it up :-)
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I have one whose scales are dyed red. I think it looks even cooler!

Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3