FRN durability when cleaning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matt the Knife

FRN durability when cleaning

Post by Matt the Knife »

I just got an orange FFG Endura 4 and i love the knife, but I'm used to black and mostly black G10. I drive a truck and also spot trailers a lot and my hands and gloves get very dirty and dusty. My orange handles are showing dirt very quickly. I've been using baby wipes to clean them (you'd be amazed how good baby wipes are for cleaning heavy duty grime), but i need to get into the small lines in the scales of the FRN. I'm thinking a toothbrush will be adequate, but don't want to scratch the FRN or damage it it fade the orange to quickly.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
1st Spyderco Endura 1 or 2 stainless steel w/spyderedge. It currently resides at the bottom of a lake.

Current Spydies: Q(HK edition), Blacked out PM2, and Endura 4 Orange FFG.

Wishlist: Military, Caly 3.5 CF, Volloton, and Navaja
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Toothbrush, or a finger nail brush, would be fine. Speaking of toothbrushes, check the part of the handle that spends part of its time inside your mouth and some of that time bumping, dragging, and otherwise making contact with your teeth. Do you see much damage? I'm guessing not, and also guessing that, like 90% or more of the toothbrushes out there, the handle of yours is nylon, just like the handle of your FRN Endura.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Unless you are cleaning it with a Dremel or a belt sander, you don't have anything to worry about. Scrubbing it in the sink with a toothbrush will get the job done and leave it looking new for years.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Pauls post makes me think of dunking one in Efferdent... lol (thanks for the funny visual, Deacon!)