Spyderco Persistence Blue sprint run / Opening problem / 5 bronze washers for pivot?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BronislovasLTU

Spyderco Persistence Blue sprint run / Opening problem / 5 bronze washers for pivot?

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Hi, at first sorry, my English not so good. At first i got new my Persistence Blue from ebay. I have spyderco tenacious before it. And first look like Persistence not so good opening/ some strange sound / need more power to open it and close it. Tenacious easily operate open-close.

So i disassembly my new Persistence and i found it 5 bronze washers for pivot. I don't know how call them in other world. Looks like this - Image .

But 5? So i guess 3 on one side on 2 on other. But seriously 5? Not 2 or 4? I don't want to take disassembly to my tenacious, its working good and i don't want to take some wrong on it or make problem on it.

So how many bronze washers will need on Persistence?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's very common to have a different amount of washers on each side. You sure it wasn't smooth because of grit/dirt or perhaps unnecessary pivot-screw tension?
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

No, i cleaned it all and use some WD-40 to oil washers. Or WD-40 is bad for it? I have old Ka-Bar Gila.
And on Gila washers are just plastic. No, tension are enough or maybe little less, not full screwed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

WD-40 isn't a lubricant as much as a cleaner and rust inhibitant. I would put some non-cooking oil in the pivot.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Blerv is correct, it is common to have different amounts of washers on the knives.
Actually that is how some people have made mistakes when re-assembling them.
if you had issues with it opening and closing, you might wash it in soap and water
blow dry or shoot air to dry.
I have used WD-40 to lube but it is a wet lubricant that will attract dust and there
ar better choices, such as Tuffglide or Militec among others. It sounds like there
might have been something in the pivot preventling it from opening smoothly.

After I have cleaned and dried mine and added lube, I will work it open and closed
over and ever to smooth it out. I wish you the best. Your English is fine.
Welcome to the forums.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BAL wrote:Your English is fine.
Welcome to the forums.
Yes, great questions and a very sincere welcome to the forums :) .