knives that need wire clips...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
alerin

Post by alerin »

The new larger Kiwi needs one.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:And it's also less obtrusive - the combination of the deep carry and the wire clip makes it look a lot less like a knife in your pocket. Definitely a bonus in a professional environment.
This is one of the reasons I am a big fan of the wire clips. They might be the most discreet clip around with the way they make a knife disappear into your pocket. There are times when I do not want to advertise the fact that I have a knife in my pocket to the world at large.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of wire clips. I appreciate the aesthetic, but I find knives with wire clips harder to clip to my pocket one-handed. Not a deal-breaker for me, but enough to make me prefer an hourglass clip.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Rippervet

Post by Rippervet »

gbelleh wrote:I like the wire clip too. The hourglass clip is ok with me too, but I really wish they weren't so shiny! All my regularly carried shiny clip knives get swapped for black.
You could always take it off and paint it yourself. I tend to do that to mine after the black paint wears off on many of them. My biggest issue with Spyderco original metal clips is I bend them too often to the point I have to order new one's because eventually I brake the one's I bend back into place. My Endura and my Manix always bends out of place. I never had any problems yet with the others.
Rippervet

Post by Rippervet »

You guys seem to like these wire clips let me ask the question. Are they tougher than the original metal ones? I tend to be rough and bend mine just from general wear and tear.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I've bent the flat metal clips, but haven't bent a wire clip yet. I personally find them to be pretty robust.

The absolute worst clip I've owned is the one on the Lum Chinese - broke that one within a month or two of owning the knife.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Rippervet wrote:You guys seem to like these wire clips let me ask the question. Are they tougher than the original metal ones? I tend to be rough and bend mine just from general wear and tear.
I think it is like the story of the willow vs the oak... in my experience, the wire clip has a little more give, so for everyday type wear it has more of a range of motion, so it is slightly less prone to bending. If you are subjecting it to much harder use, you may snap it, however.

I agree with all of the sentiment above, the low riding wire clip is my favorite. I do wish they came in black, to make them even more low key.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:And it's also less obtrusive - the combination of the deep carry and the wire clip makes it look a lot less like a knife in your pocket. Definitely a bonus in a professional environment.
Agree 100%. If I had to choose today, I'd rather take a Sage 1 than a Native 5 for regular office carry.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Rippervet wrote:Are they tougher than the original metal ones?
IIRC wire clip is heat-treated and solid is not.
Brock O Lee wrote:If I had to choose today, I'd rather take a Sage 1 than a Native 5 for regular office carry.
you hurt my feelings. :)
Currently I am working for small company. And I am an old peaceful man :) , so nobody feels threaten by content of my pockets. But if I would work in corporate environment again, even if it allowed to carry knife, I would carry loose, no clip at all. There are too many people in that environment, who will be scares of SAK classic.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

My design is wire clip, and that's how I want it. That's all I can say.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

bh49 wrote:+2
N5 with low riding wire clip will be almost perfect.
Probably most utility knives will be better with wire clip. Even on gents knife like Damascus Caly3 wire clip looks better, also easier to remove
what makes it a good gents clip makes it a poor utility clip, IMO. you want something that's really easy to retrieve in a variety of circumstances, deep carry is bad in this regard.

though I guess you could have a wire clip with standard riding height, but it seems like half the reason you guys like it is because of deep carry.

the average guy who will splurge and spend $70 on his only pocket knife would most likely find the standard clip much more to his liking, as he isn't concerned about people seeing his knife. It's only people who work/live in very strict environments, or people who just can't stop thinking about pocket knives who think it needs to be super concealed.

I would imagine a black clip on your dress pants would be **** near invisible to the average office employee. ****, almost nobody besides knife nuts and cops even notice large, shiny pocket clips.

carrying iwb with the clip concealed behind your belt is even more stealth, and more comfortable IMO
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I would love it if all of my :spyder: 's had a wire clip. I find it much more aesthetically nice and pocket friendly than other clips.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:what makes it a good gents clip makes it a poor utility clip, IMO. you want something that's really easy to retrieve in a variety of circumstances, deep carry is bad in this regard.
IMHO gents knife shouldn't have clip at all. Low riding wire clip in this case just is lesser of the Evils for me. I do not clip any knives, when I wear dress pants.
Different people have different needs. I carried Caly3 and than Caly3.5 for about six years and never had difficulties to get a knife. For me the knife with low riding wire clip is less noticeable, so pants looks better.
GoodEyeSniper wrote: I would imagine a black clip on your dress pants would be **** near invisible to the average office employee.
Of cause it is much less visible than SS clip, but much more than you think. If people do not say it, it doesn't mean that they do not see it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

if they don't say anything, then its effectively the same as them not seeing it, no? ;)

I feel you, though. I'm just offering counter points to the "every knife needs a wire clip" mentality. as a guy who used to work with gloves on every day,I could say with much certainty I wouldn't want a deep carry clip. sure it would be usable most of the time, but those times you are squatting down, holding something awkwardly and need it, when your pockets tighten up, you would want to have something more to grab onto.

I also think a military would look a bit chintzy with a wire clip, ymmv. there is no wrong or right. Would a wire clip make me not buy it? of course not. but I do think there are obvious benefits to standard clips on certain knives, and I think switching certain work horse models like the Delica/endura would do more harm than good.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The PPT could have used one. Or any other clip other than what it has, really. It's too pointy and keeps snagging on stuff...
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

For the record, I just want a Millie with a wire clip on one sprint and preferably a natural G10 like the Leafstorm. Like an art house version. The wire clip on the Superleaf has never reeived one complaint from a user that I have ever heard?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:if they don't say anything, then its effectively the same as them not seeing it, no? ;)

I feel you, though. I'm just offering counter points to the "every knife needs a wire clip" mentality. as a guy who used to work with gloves on every day,I could say with much certainty I wouldn't want a deep carry clip. sure it would be usable most of the time, but those times you are squatting down, holding something awkwardly and need it, when your pockets tighten up, you would want to have something more to grab onto.

I also think a military would look a bit chintzy with a wire clip, ymmv. there is no wrong or right. Would a wire clip make me not buy it? of course not. but I do think there are obvious benefits to standard clips on certain knives, and I think switching certain work horse models like the Delica/endura would do more harm than good.
I would love for all my knives to have wire clips...except the military. I agree that the military wouldn't look right to me with a wire clip. I might throw the Gayle Bradley in there as well but everything else is fair game.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

senorsquare wrote:I might throw the Gayle Bradley in there as well but everything else is fair game.
Respectfully disagree

;)

Ken
玉鋼
Rippervet

Post by Rippervet »

I have never owned a knife with the wire clip. I have bent and broken plenty of the metal clips though. I usually keep a extra clip on hand for my Endura the knife I carry more on duty than any other knife I own. The only Spyderco knife I have that I haven't bent the blade in one way or another was my all stainless all serrated early Police Model. I have even broken the older clips that were molded plastic like a old Rescue Model I gave my Wife now. I usually have pretty good luck though with bending them back into place. My next Spyderco was going to be that Manix 2 translucent blue but I have to wait now and see if I have to repair my Truck maybe next month.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

twinboysdad wrote:For the record, I just want a Millie with a wire clip on one sprint and preferably a natural G10 like the Leafstorm. Like an art house version. The wire clip on the Superleaf has never reeived one complaint from a user that I have ever heard?
No problems with my Superleaf clip. I really like that it is deep carry... the SL is not a really big knife, though. It is in the same league as a Para2 or Manix2.