knives that need wire clips...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

knives that need wire clips...

Post by twinboysdad »

as a wire clip worshiper, I think **** near all Spydies would be better with that beautiful clip. But let's focus on the models that clearly NEED a wire clip to be complete. I will get this show on the road...

1. Lil' Temp-keep everything the same, ditch the SE one, bring back the leaf and rhino and make them complete with a wire clip. Sal, this is my Spydergrail and please consider.

2. Stretch- preferably in a G10 (standard production ;) ) but FRN would suffice but how do you refine this model so much further than the D4/E4 but leave the E4/D4 clip on it? It deserves better!

3. The Military-doesn't "need" it but I envision a wire clip and natural G10 sprint that cleans this brute up if just for a bit. And since the Superleaf is now defunct, we need a bruiser with a wire clip.

4. Native 5-perfect edc except for the...Shiniest. Clip. Ever.

what say you?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I think the Native 5 is perfect with a black clip from a Delica 4, and a green Delica looks alright with a shiny clip to match the blade.

I do like wire clips for discretion. The perfect option to me is a coloured uk pen knife which really does look like a marker or pen while black scales and steel liners make my sage 1 and caly 3 more apparent.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Native 5, totally agree.

Also the Air:

Ken
玉鋼
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the wire clip too. The hourglass clip is ok with me too, but I really wish they weren't so shiny! All my regularly carried shiny clip knives get swapped for black.
:bug-red-white
Sir Ringo

Post by Sir Ringo »

Never thought that I would like the wire clip until I got one. Love the black wire clip on my Sage 1 - It is the perfect clip for my suit or dress pant. Are there any other with black wire clips??
Orange Dodo, Jason Breeden Rescue, PM 2 Digi Cam & all black, Delica 4 FRN Green & Purple, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 Moonglow, Sage 1
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Para 2 all the way. And the Native 5. Basically, any popular knife that doesn't have a wire clip - should.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

G10 Manbug
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Native 5 and Para 2 with wire clips? I say yes, and yes.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
Srg. Trollski

Post by Srg. Trollski »

Are wire-clips made with actual paper clips, or are they made with a so called "wire-edge" I've heard Cliff Stamp talk about
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Can't say that I am a fan of the wire clip. I like the deep carry but I think that tehy look really cheap. Especially if put on a knife over $150...
On the hunt for...
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Can't say that I am a fan of the wire clip. I like the deep carry but I think that tehy look really cheap. Especially if put on a knife over $150...
The flip side of this equation is the case of the Nishijin Dragonfly that has one of it's beautiful scales almost completely obscured by a too long spoon clip.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Yeah I know that the regular clips has drawbacks too. I have drawn up a few clips that I would love to see Spyderco use...
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

twinboysdad wrote:2. Stretch- preferably in a G10 (standard production ;) ) but FRN would suffice but how do you refine this model so much further than the D4/E4 but leave the E4/D4 clip on it? It deserves better!
One man's better is another man's worse. AFAIK, there has never been a Spyderco knife that had a 4 way wire clip, so I'm guessing it's not a viable option and, no matter which clip mounting position(s) you eliminate, someone's favorite will be among them. As for me, I generally carry my knives loose in my pocket and I find it easier to hide, or ignore, a few screw holes than to deal with the trenches left behind when a wire clip is removed. If that wasn't enough, on the rare occasions I carry clipped, I prefer tip down to tip up. So, for me, wire clips are double-damned.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I much prefer wire clips, maybe they look "cheap" but I rarely see nice clips anyway. They're much more discrete on the pocket and also less obstructive with knife aesthetics, that's why I don't like clips in general but I find easier ignoring wire clips that those screw holes.

The same as Paul, if I ever carry clipped I prefer tip down but that's not an option with wire clips with rare exceptions as Des Horn (not very deep though).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Like most things Spyderco, the wire clip has to be used to be appreciated. It is the best pocket clip on the market
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I wonder why more knives don't have the small clip found on the Centofante 4 (and 3 I think)? Anyone else feel this size could work better on some knives?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:Native 5, totally agree.

Also the Air:

Ken
I like wire clips myself. I don't know if they could all be swapped out due to manufacturing issues. Especially at the pivot end for tip down carry. Just a thought. I don't have the brain cells to try to think it through. I'll let the designers work it out. :)

Once again we see that beautiful knife with a wire clip. The clip is on the wrong side of course. I guess you can't expect lefties to get it on the right side I suppose. :) Get it? It's a lefty/righty joke. :)

Ken, I like the thinking on how you did that. I think we talked about it before but I can't remember. Did you grind the top of the liner or bottom of the scale? Both a little bit? This would eliminate the larger grooves on the opposite side or when the knife is clipless. It makes for a low ride which I like also. They aren't much harder to remove from the pocket. I put my thumb inside and a finger under the bottom of the clip. Plenty easy to get out of a pocket.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

knives that need wire clips... All of them :D
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote: 4. Native 5-perfect edc except for the...Shiniest. Clip. Ever.
kbuzbee wrote:Native 5, totally agree.
Ken
+2
N5 with low riding wire clip will be almost perfect.
Probably most utility knives will be better with wire clip. Even on gents knife like Damascus Caly3 wire clip looks better, also easier to remove
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

bh49 wrote: Even on gents knife like Damascus Caly3 wire clip looks better, also easier to remove
And it's also less obtrusive - the combination of the deep carry and the wire clip makes it look a lot less like a knife in your pocket. Definitely a bonus in a professional environment.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?