What Spyderco do you use for Bushcraft/Camping/Hunting/Fishing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
alonewolf

Post by alonewolf »

Hi everyone,

SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I either use a Temp 2 or a damascus mule. I've been trying to convince myself to use my Aqua Salt SE, but that's been slow going, as SE is great for some tasks like feather sticks, but not so awesome at filleting, skinning etc while PE models can do it all.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I don't hunt or fish, but I usually carry a fixed blade and a folder when I go camping. My fixed blade is my Woodcraft Mule and my folder varies. I prefer something easy to clean so usually a Military, Paramilitary 2, Manix 2, or Superleaf. Here's the Woodcraft Mule:

In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Holland

Post by Holland »

paramilitary2!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Honestly, my bushcraft/camping knife is rarely a Spyderco. I have a lot of other fixed blades that fill that role. However, sometimes I grab the Bushcraft UK for camping trips.

For fishing I use whatever is in my pocket.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Usually a Military. Sometimes I'll bring a Forester or Dayhiker on my pack. My Bushcraft is with Charlynn.

My most used fixed blades are from Andy Roy (Fiddleback forge)
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

CPM M4 Military
if I bring a fixed blade it usually stays in my pack or back at camp and only sees food prep. the Millie sees wood work, utility stuff and of course food prep.I don't hunt, and haven't fished in years, but that would probably get the same knife.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I've used a Bushcraft and a Dialex Junior, including field dressing pigs. Both did pretty well.
thurin

Post by thurin »

I always have a folder and a multitool on me (PM2 and Leatherman when I was out yesterday for example) when I'm out camping or hiking, but they're there as backups. The go-to knife for me in those situations is going to be a fixed blade (Fiddleback Forge). I want to pick up a Bushcraft UK one of these days to compare.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

:o I don't have a Spyderco fixed blade, but I do take my Endura or the Military, when I go into the backcountry.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
endgame

Post by endgame »

I haven't had my pm2 long enough but I used my pm1 and my microtech currahee fixed blade.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I pick up one of my worker Mules - either the M4 or the Cruwear. I also usually take a large-ish folder (e.g., Para2 or Endura) and a smaller pocket knife (e.g., Dragonfly2). That's my kit for summer camp - along with a good machete.

TedP
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

alonewolf wrote:Hi everyone,

Next time I go elk hunting and or fishing it will be the Phil Wilson, if ocean hunting an Aqua Salt or Pacific Salt. For camping and bushcraft I have a couple customs in CPM-10V, a bushcraft style and Kephart style blade.

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My fixed blade is usually a scandi-edge of some sort (lately a custom Jones Bros puukko), but I have carried my standard Dragonfly along as a quick access folder. I also bought a Jester Sprint for use in Altoid Tin kits.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I love the Catcherman for fishing. The Moran drop point is excellent for hunting. I just recently got a Bushman for camping, but haven't gone yet. Phil Wilson is one of my favorite knives for working around the yard, and it will probably accompany me in the field and when camping, also. I've always wanted a Hossom Forester, but haven't been able to snag one.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Detdaddy wrote:I love the Catcherman for fishing. The Moran drop point is excellent for hunting. I just recently got a Bushman for camping, but haven't gone yet. Phil Wilson is one of my favorite knives for working around the yard, and it will probably accompany me in the field and when camping, also. I've always wanted a Hossom Forester, but haven't been able to snag one.
There is a NIB Forester for sale on Candlepowerforums for $180 if you are a member..
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

i usually use my native 4 SE and Dragonfly 2 PE. the Dragonfly is used more for fishing. I also usually have a alox SAK with me too.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I would love to get a Southfork and be a pioneer
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm far from a hardcore bushcrafter, but I do enjoy the occasional camping trip. I tend to bring some folders to mainly help with food prep, my favorites are the Chinese Folder XL, Police 3 SE and a Moran drop point.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Funny enough had a buddy use my centofante 3 to process two deer. The knife worked flawlessly.