Only one Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ceya

Post by ceya »

You can never own one.

Lose one and I'll see you back buying one and another for back up.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Until I started getting better quality knives and buying Spydercos I can't remember leaving for work or anywhere else and having to decide which knife to take. Normally, I only had one. If I would have thought about it I would have thought it was stupid to have a multitude to pick from. Then I started seeing people talking about having a knife, then getting one just like it as a backup. Needless to say I thought that was stupid. Now I understand completely having several knives to choose from to carry. I haven't ever bought a backup but I understand it now. I still think I'd be happy with between 5 and 10 knives to select from. Doesn't mean I don't see one and want it though.

Jack
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

jackknifeh wrote:I usually only had one pocket knife all my life. When I decided to break down and shop for a better quality knife I only wanted one. Then one more, etc. So I was curious as to how often does someone just get one knife or eat only one Lay's potato chip?

Your pattern is pretty much mine, as well. I've still only got three Spydies, and only six pocket knives. If Spyderco manufactures a knife even better suited to my needs than Chaparral 1, I'll buy it. But that'll take some doing.

I have to say that if the Chaparral had been in production when I got fed up with the poor quality of my existing EDC knife, I probably would have skipped the Urban and the Delica that I've got. So I would be pretty close to the "just one" guy: I kept looking until I found one that didn't leave me wanting anything else.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dj moonbat wrote:Your pattern is pretty much mine, as well. I've still only got three Spydies, and only six pocket knives. If Spyderco manufactures a knife even better suited to my needs than Chaparral 1, I'll buy it. But that'll take some doing.

I have to say that if the Chaparral had been in production when I got fed up with the poor quality of my existing EDC knife, I probably would have skipped the Urban and the Delica that I've got. So I would be pretty close to the "just one" guy: I kept looking until I found one that didn't leave me wanting anything else.
That's me to a T. I've bought several knives and sold quite a few just because I didn't use them. Really nice knives that I wouldn't carry because I'd carry something else. My blue Stretch is the best example. I really loved that knife but for some reason just carried something else. I took the money from those sales and got other knives to try. Now I know what I like and when it's all over I'll have around 6 knives that I won't sell. Then I'll only get one when I really want it. But I've had the same thought that if I had X knife I wouldn't have bought the Y knife. On the other hand I'm glad I went through so many knives. That's the only way I now know what I like and why. Now I can look at a knife in a picture and have a better idea of will I like it or not. It still amazes me that for the first 45 years of my life one knife was always enough. Also, when I spent $25 on a knife I thought is was a "nicer" knife. That's because I didn't know what else was available. I just wish I had checked into better quality knives when I was younger. Oh well.

Jack
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

i bought a tenacious 2 years ago, and haven't bought a spyderco since.
joined the forums to find a smaller/lighter edc knife, but it seems they don't offer what i want.
so i'll stick to my tenacious and opinel for now, but i have been wanting to try a eka swede 8 for a while.

and yes, i'm a knife nut, just not a nut for a specific brand.
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

I'm the only person that I know that even know what spyderco knives are besides my wife. My friends and co-workers can't understand how I can spend thousands a year on knives when they think 1 $20 knife is pushing it.
35:spyder:
fast.ed

Post by fast.ed »

I have had various models over the years. Now that I am older and don't carry, I was looking for a nice "desk" knife. Had a ladybug for several years. When I saw the first Dragonfly2, I traded on the spot and haven't regreted it. The DF 2 is the only one I own.
The only way I would buy another is if spyderco put a drop point blade in it.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I really can't imagine having only one :spyder: , but the hypothetical choice just got easier with the arrival of my M390 Para 2.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

catamount wrote:I really can't imagine having only one :spyder: , but the hypothetical choice just got easier with the arrival of my M390 Para 2.
I can't get one now. I did get to hold one though. I can see where it may shove a favorite over a little. Nice knife, even the color. I like blue but some shades work better than others for different items. The knife is one I'd love to pull out in public. Congrats on the new knife.

Jack
BAL

Post by BAL »

Yojimbo 2 or Military for me.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Stretch ZDP's
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Anybody reading this?

Guys we should continue on with this topic here.

You won't be criticized by the OP for petty things like grammar and you won't be insulted.
Freman

Post by Freman »

Well I only have a Endura 4 at the moment, although I have a Cara Cara 2 in the mail for comparison purposes, and then I suppose I'll look at a Native in S30V, after that who knows? A Military perhaps, although that just seems like a slightly larger Endura.
shaolinbill

Post by shaolinbill »

rg02 wrote:I would have to go with my PM2 out of what I own so far
Let me second that vote PM2!
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

I've only 3,a ukpk a grasshopper and a dragonfly, the ukpk gets carried daily as does the grasshopper, the dragonfly I use while mountain biking or camping,i will get a bug for a necklace at some point,due too UK laws ill mainly get non locking spydercos :)
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

I have many different knives and to choose one would be very hard but in the end it would be my edc Manix2
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

Paramilitary2!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Eezan

Post by Eezan »

I was a big Kershaw fan for years. I bought my first Spyderco a couple months ago: a Ladybug. Then a Delica, then 2 Dragonflys, then 2 more Ladybugs. There are several more I want and have no plans to stop the collection any time soon!