What do you do???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Brock O Lee wrote:I'm a software developer in the medical industry, mostly server-side JAVA, and the occasional C++ work.
Ain't it just the best job in the world. I've never worked professionally in C++, but I'm pretty fluent in it having learned it as a teenager.

A lot of very interesting careers here in the forums and quite a diverse selection as well.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:sob, there he is, what the...

Tony, you have to kind of squint your eyes and think of baseball.
Yeah, I had to print that out and redact the right side of the photo. Like one of those hidden drawings, now you could see him standing there.

Ken
玉鋼
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

kbuzbee wrote:Yeah, I had to print that out and redact the right side of the photo. Like one of those hidden drawings, now you could see him standing there.
Just put your hand on the screen on the righthand side of the photo and slowly move your hand to the left. At some point when your hand is about halfway across the photo he will magically appear.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jabba359 wrote:Usually on set I carry my XHP Manix 2 in the right pocket and Orange Millie in the left. I carried my purple 2009 Forum Native one of the days on this shoot, so it's possible that's what's in my pocket.
Very nice. :) I just had a hunch it might have been an older Spydie. ;)
tonydahose wrote:There is a guy in that picture? where? I don't see one :p
Ha ha! Touché, Tony. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BAL

Post by BAL »

kbuzbee wrote:Yeah, I had to print that out and redact the right side of the photo. Like one of those hidden drawings, now you could see him standing there.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I knew that you'd get it.
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

Hardwood flooring, installing and refinishing for the past 30 years.
Just started installing 2600 sq. ft. plank walnut on a job yesterday.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
DJ

Post by DJ »

Just a poor old roofer ..............40 yrs now or so.
Steel Snob M-4
JulienM

Post by JulienM »

I make PowerPoint presentations for a living.I work freelance (project work). The work is okay, but the people I work with are terrific!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hardwood flooring, installing and refinishing for the past 30 years.
Just started installing 2600 sq. ft. plank walnut on a job yesterday.
Wow! That would be a nice floor to have but probably costs more than I paid for my first house. Any chance of getting a picture without offending the owners or getting yourself in trouble?

I recall when walnut started getting really expensive back in the early 70's? People were getting their trees rustled while they were gone for the weekend where I lived. It sure is a beautiful wood but I don't recall seeing it on a floor.

Thanks,

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I am, and have often been over the past couple of decades spanning my adult life, a Systems Administrator. I'm working at Lowe's Home Improvement HQ right now, in their Operations Command Center. In short, we are the people that keep the online business and store-distribution-corporate communication up, and my office looks like the big ops room from WarGames. It's a fairly fast paced position but we have about a dozen fairly experienced IT folks here so we can usually tackle most problems before they start costing the corporation. This is my fourth or fifth Fortune 100 company in the past 5 years, so I am finally starting to get a feel for what it takes to fit the corporate mold. I'm kind of an eccentric guy, so I often have to learn to still certain personality features while exaggerating others. Still, that is valuable information for a social retard ;)

I've been working with Unix for almost 20 years now, and professionally for 13, so the only thing separating me from an RMS-style neckbeard is that I tend to shave and am not famous :P Similar personality/etc.

Seems there are a lot of techy folks here. Techy and LEO-related professions, which I suppose makes sense considering the likely market for premium tools as we have all gathered together over the love of.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

defenestrate wrote:I am, and have often been over the past couple of decades spanning my adult life, a Systems Administrator. I'm working at Lowe's Home Improvement HQ right now, in their Operations Command Center. In short, we are the people that keep the online business and store-distribution-corporate communication up, and my office looks like the big ops room from WarGames. It's a fairly fast paced position but we have about a dozen fairly experienced IT folks here so we can usually tackle most problems before they start costing the corporation. This is my fourth or fifth Fortune 100 company in the past 5 years, so I am finally starting to get a feel for what it takes to fit the corporate mold. I'm kind of an eccentric guy, so I often have to learn to still certain personality features while exaggerating others. Still, that is valuable information for a social retard ;)

I've been working with Unix for almost 20 years now, and professionally for 13, so the only thing separating me from an RMS-style neckbeard is that I tend to shave and am not famous :P Similar personality/etc.

Seems there are a lot of techy folks here. Techy and LEO-related professions, which I suppose makes sense considering the likely market for premium tools as we have all gathered together over the love of.
We definitely do seem to have a fair share of techies. I understand where you're coming from with trying to fit the corporate mold. I spent two years working at the HQ for Target out of college. It was a much more difficult mold to fit into than my current one. In my current job, our IT department is located at a small satellite location away from most of the business-side folks. Our project management team is almost entirely located at the business location and so they do most of the communicating with the business on our behalf. This allows us a lot more leeway to be our eccentric selves.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

The Mastiff wrote:Wow! That would be a nice floor to have but probably costs more than I paid for my first house. Any chance of getting a picture without offending the owners or getting yourself in trouble?

I recall when walnut started getting really expensive back in the early 70's? People were getting their trees rustled while they were gone for the weekend where I lived. It sure is a beautiful wood but I don't recall seeing it on a floor.

Thanks,

Joe
I can get some pics when we do the sanding and finishing. Right now it's a construction site with a whole bunch of contractors and their stuff all over the place.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks Rayd. Welcome to Spyderco forum too. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

I am an electrical lineman. Most of my time is spent splicing underground lead -sheathed cable, as i am certfied/qualified through the local utility to do so. It's a dying skill/art that i'm fortunate to have.
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

Not the walnut floors which is still a work in progress but another job I recently did.

photo 3 by bladerunnr40, on Flickr

photo 4 by bladerunnr40, on Flickr
- Milan Kundera
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

WOW, beautiful work..i have only installed a few floors on side jobs but they were pretty simple. The amount of cuts alone is impressive...so on this do you start in the middle I am guessing??...was the room ...well not square but you know what i mean, equal proportions?..am i making any sense?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

Yep, you start in the center and work your way out to the walls on something like this. And you need to start off perfect or things will go very bad. And this was a glued down floor over concrete which just made things more difficult.
This room was a perfect hexagon.
- Milan Kundera
DJ

Post by DJ »

That floor is AWSUM ...........Iam very impressed ..............very
Steel Snob M-4
Stony

Post by Stony »

I work on a caster for the 5th largest steel producer in the US.
Barman

Post by Barman »

If you had to guess... :)