Red Endura Trainer blade swap

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sgteldridge

Red Endura Trainer blade swap

Post by sgteldridge »

Does anyone know if you can swap the trainer blade for a reg one ? I like the red handle
BAL

Post by BAL »

I think so, but I am not 100% sure, now that I think about it.
Someone else will know fo rsure. I like the red handle myself.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

sgteldridge wrote:Does anyone know if you can swap the trainer blade for a reg one ? I like the red handle
Yes, it's possible. There's a vid on YouTube in which someone swapped out handles. From Spyderco's perspective, it would make sense having the parts between the trainer and a production model be identical (excluding blade of course) for both cost and ease of manufacture.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have done this on a delica so I would assume the endura to be the same.

The suggestion is to just put the red scales and backspacer on the true knife. I wouldn't try to do a blade swap.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Or you could search for the older version with a live blade and the red handle!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

I switched out the green handles on my Delica ZDP with the red handles of the trainer. Both work fine. I also switched out the lock bar that came with the blade.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I think if you got a blue one and swapped out the scales, but left the blue spacer on, it would look amazing. :)
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:I think if you got a blue one and swapped out the scales, but left the blue spacer on, it would look amazing. :)
That'd be cool.. Spider Man colors or should I say spyder man
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:I think if you got a blue one and swapped out the scales, but left the blue spacer on, it would look amazing. :)
Or if you are a Giants fan... It would be a bit harder to assemble a burgundy-and-gold Endura...

TedP
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

You can do it. I have done it. You need to swap both the blade and the lock bar. The lock bars are matched to the blade. I think that the trainer blade has not been heat treated, and the lock bar may not be either. You don't want a non heat treated lock bar with a heat treated blade. Switch 'em both and you'll be fine.

Or.....take the entire knife apart and just switch ONLY the plastic scales and backspacer. I vote for only switching the blade and the lock bar.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

Do be aware that you will be voiding the warranty, although Spyderco will still be willing to sharpen the blade if you send it in to them. A few years ago someone was selling red-handled trainers for really cheap, so I got one, did the swap (both blade and lockbar), and now I have a fully-serrated Endura with red scales, and a grey-scaled Endura trainer.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have done it...i need to find the thread. i switched it a red handle with the waved USN forum endura.

edit: found it http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t=switched

this will void your warranty. In fact someone tried to take their endura apart, i Rcvd the knife in pieces as a gift because they couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again ;)

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Yup, Just be sure to keep the backlock with it's blade.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

OK, "keep the backlock with the blade"....so, can I swap my combo blade FRN Delica with my Delica G-10? I do prefer combo blades, and would like the G-10 to have a combo?
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Alnamvet68 wrote:OK, "keep the backlock with the blade"....so, can I swap my combo blade FRN Delica with my Delica G-10? I do prefer combo blades, and would like the G-10 to have a combo?
Yes but the finish on the frn Delica backlock won't match the finish on the G10 Delica liners, If that matters. You can try to keep the G10 lockback but it may not fit right with the frn's blade.

Also remember that dissembling your knives will void warranty.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Gunslinger wrote:Yes but the finish on the frn Delica backlock won't match the finish on the G10 Delica liners, If that matters. You can try to keep the G10 lockback but it may not fit right with the frn's blade.

Also remember that dissembling your knives will void warranty.
That's kinda' what I thought. Thank you for the response.

Al