Have we "Jumped the shark"?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Kev83 wrote:"You spent how much on a knife?!, you know how many other more important things you could have used that money for?!"
I certainly remember how my parents lived. They didn't have much luxuriates in their lives, if you compare their lives with ours. Still they had quite a few things that our grandparents couldn't imagine at their time. Color TV is one of examples, hot running water will be another. Our kids already have things, which we couldn't imagine. Life getting different, looks less and less as a survival.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Yeah it's still hard to imagine actually video calling someone on a phone and seeing their face and the look on my daughters face when I found an old box of VHS movies and her saying, "dad what are those things?" Trying to explain cassettes and such to her. It's crazy how far we come in our lives of deeming something luxury or just your average run if the mill daily product
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Kev83 wrote:Yeah it's still hard to imagine actually video calling someone on a phone and seeing their face and the look on my daughters face when I found an old box of VHS movies and her saying, "dad what are those things?" Trying to explain cassettes and such to her. It's crazy how far we come in our lives of deeming something luxury or just your average run if the mill daily product
People still say they are going to "tape" a show even though they are using a DVR to record.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Kev83 wrote:Yeah it's still hard to imagine actually video calling someone on a phone and seeing their face and the look on my daughters face when I found an old box of VHS movies and her saying, "dad what are those things?" Trying to explain cassettes and such to her. It's crazy how far we come in our lives of deeming something luxury or just your average run if the mill daily product
Yep, and cell phones are now considered a "right", beyond even a "necessity" Can't afford one? The government will provide one for you. Simply amazing!
Pinetreebbs wrote:People still say they are going to "tape" a show even though they are using a DVR to record.
And we refer to our cable box/DVR as the "Taper" ;) As in "So, what do we have on the taper?"

Ken
玉鋼
The General

Post by The General »

I am a confirmed steel knut as Sal called me years ago! I just love technology and new stuff. Gives me something to try and experiment with. I have enough knives to last me a dozen lifetimes of very hard use. Yet I still love the new Spides.
My real name is Wayne :D
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I think in this day and age of economic freedom and disposable income we have the advantage/disadvantage of buying most anything brought to market. In my father's day, if you weren't part of the wealthy class, your pay-check went for mortgage payments and to feed and clothe the family. I can't imagine him walking in to see the local banker to get a loan to buy an expensive pocket knife. Today, a new "toy" is just one click away no matter what your financial circumstances. The playing field has changed, and that's not bad, but it does present it's own unique set of challenges. There's the camel and eye of the needle thing for one!
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare