Received My Wayne Goddard Lightweight Today - I Like It

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike157

Received My Wayne Goddard Lightweight Today - I Like It

Post by Mike157 »

Just thought I'd say I received my Wayne Goddard Lightweight today. I'm liking it a lot. A very simple, clean, simple, light design. Fits well in my hand. Good steel and I really like the blade shape. Of course, always to my delight, the edge grind is even and hair shaving sharp. This one will stay in my pocket for quite some time.

Given all the variations the folks a Spyderco treat us to, I'm thinking, for those one or two people that like carbon fiber and say, M390, the next sprint run of this knife could have a one piece milled carbon fiber handle with an M390 blade. It might be costly though.

Off to enjoy my new knife. Thanks. Mike

BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I really like the looks of the Sprint and wanted to get it but I had my mind set on a Sebenza and snatched up a lightly used one for a great price. If these are around in the next few months I might grab one.

How is the lockup without liners?
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

The lockup feels solid to me. No blade play, no up and down or back and forth motion. The single-piece molded FRN handle is fairly rigid and captures the blade and back lock well. Opens and closes smoothly. Mike
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I really like that blade shape, the volcano frn/pinned construction I could live without. Nice knife!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

How's the size?
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

DRKBC wrote:How's the size?
Nearly equivalent to the Endura, but lighter in weight due to the lack of steel liners.

Don't let the pinned construction or liner-less FRN blur anyone's vision....I have an older, all pinned Endura and Native and they are plenty tough and rugged.

Large but lightweight, the Goddard is old-school goodness. These are made to be used, not just photographed.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Diamondback wrote:... These are made to be used, not photographed.
Or like I do, photograph first, then use. I'm looking forward to this classic. Mine's in the mail.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm looking patiently forward to this classic, too. Very nice pic you took - thanks for the eye candy. One of the old school classics. I can't wait. They sold out 25 of them at W&W in a day. :eek: Should be a regular menu item. I'm not the biggest collaboration fan, but this is gonna be a good one for me. I really like the linerless FRN with barrel bolt designs.
- best wishes, Jazz.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

how do you like the color? I'd like to see that color in person as pictures are sometimes misleading. But I like the black clip on the lighter colored scales.

When I got my OG lightweight Goddard a couple years ago I was blown away by how light and thin it was for its size. Not my favorite carry knife, but it's gorgeous and plenty tough enough.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I really like it. The blade shape and slight top swedge are wonderful. The handle is huge compared to the blade, but it's about the most comfortable handle in the lineup, IMO. It does lack the 50/50 choil I love, but you can choke up on the handle in a fairly safe manor since the middle finger locks up against the guard portion of the handle.

Here are two pics showing the color, one inside, and one in the sunlight.

Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

I met Wayne in '72 and was his neighbor for a number of years, even worked in his shop for a short while roughing out blades for him. When Spyderco brought out the first FRN Goddard Lightweights he had several and I bought one from him. He asked me if I recognized it and I allowed as how I didn't. He pulled his sketch book out and showed me a model folder he had made earlier in his career which he called "Odin's Claw". He told me that the Spyderco collaboration was a modified version of the Claw. At the OKCA show this year he was all excited about Spyderco doing the flat ground sprint run.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Cool story!
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Cool story!
Glad you enjoyed it. After seeing the drawings I did remember holding and playing with the Claw.

Two years ago I was digging through a forgotten chest of drawers that I had found left over from a time that I had put in the basement of the new house we moved to after leaving the old neighborhood. I found three old Goddard knives buried away. Took them over to Wayne's house to show them to him. As he dug through his archives he determined from the materials used, the markings and in one case the lack of markings, that these three were from an early period of his career, somewhere between '65-'69. He offered to buy them from me, but instead I asked him to make me a knife. A few months after that at the 2012 knife show I stopped to talk with him at his table and saw that he had three different sizes of the Spyderco Goddard with micarta handles. I offered to change our trade deal of his three knives for one each of the different size Spyderco's. He had to ask his wife Phyllis though as selling the Goddard models was her part of the business. She said yes and that she would give him a discount on the table price of the folders.

I know that the price of the folders could never actually equal the value of his three knives but this was for an old friend who had the opportunity to reclaim a valued part of his history. I would simply have given the knives to him but I didn't want to lose that connection to our shared history, hence the trade. Actually I first met Wayne when I was looking for somebody to make me a set of knives. After meeting him I ordered a matching set of Bowie Knife and Arkansas Toothpick with 10.5" and 11" blades respectively. They had black sheaths that tied down, Macassar Ebony handles and brass fixtures. Both were double edged. They matched a western outfit that I wore for special square dance events and I caused quite a stir when I was in full costume. Everybody was always highly amused that a "cowboy" carried a set of knives instead of pistols. My timing of the purchase was somewhat unfortunate because at the same time we were planning our wedding and the $325 the knives cost me was shall we say, "distressing" for my fiancé. But she eventually got over it and we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary this August. She really did love me and apparently still does.

When I think about it, I guess you could say that Spyderco is now a part of that shared history between Wayne and myself. I've left the three knives in their boxes and should something happen to me they will belong to my wife and eventually my children and grandchildren.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Now, if they come out with a foliage green G-10, fully lined, steel lock back with steel spacers, I'll be in seventh heaven. I like more weight, and I do love collecting foliage green G-10 knives, and this Goddard is a prime candidate for such an upgrade. :)

Oh, and full torx screw construction as well.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Great posts. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Now I'm more excited to get it!
:bug-red-white
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Tonie Nichols wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. After seeing the drawings I did remember holding and playing with the Claw.

Two years ago I was digging through a forgotten chest of drawers that I had found left over from a time that I had put in the basement of the new house we moved to after leaving the old neighborhood. I found three old Goddard knives buried away. Took them over to Wayne's house to show them to him. As he dug through his archives he determined from the materials used, the markings and in one case the lack of markings, that these three were from an early period of his career, somewhere between '65-'69. He offered to buy them from me, but instead I asked him to make me a knife. A few months after that at the 2012 knife show I stopped to talk with him at his table and saw that he had three different sizes of the Spyderco Goddard with micarta handles. I offered to change our trade deal of his three knives for one each of the different size Spyderco's. He had to ask his wife Phyllis though as selling the Goddard models was her part of the business. She said yes and that she would give him a discount on the table price of the folders.

I know that the price of the folders could never actually equal the value of his three knives but this was for an old friend who had the opportunity to reclaim a valued part of his history. I would simply have given the knives to him but I didn't want to lose that connection to our shared history, hence the trade. Actually I first met Wayne when I was looking for somebody to make me a set of knives. After meeting him I ordered a matching set of Bowie Knife and Arkansas Toothpick with 10.5" and 11" blades respectively. They had black sheaths that tied down, Macassar Ebony handles and brass fixtures. Both were double edged. They matched a western outfit that I wore for special square dance events and I caused quite a stir when I was in full costume. Everybody was always highly amused that a "cowboy" carried a set of knives instead of pistols. My timing of the purchase was somewhat unfortunate because at the same time we were planning our wedding and the $325 the knives cost me was shall we say, "distressing" for my fiancé. But she eventually got over it and we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary this August. She really did love me and apparently still does.

When I think about it, I guess you could say that Spyderco is now a part of that shared history between Wayne and myself. I've left the three knives in their boxes and should something happen to me they will belong to my wife and eventually my children and grandchildren.
Great stories. IMO you should print out the story and keep it with the knives. Even if you tell your kids or grandkids this story, sometimes the years make them forget and it would be great for them to be able to recount it down the line (after your long and healthy life :) )
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

"Very nice pic you took - thanks for the eye candy." Thank you Jazz. Mostly an accident with help from a new, little, capable camera.
"How do you like the color?" I like the color quite a bit. Seems like a good neutral color to me. Doesn't stand out as much as a black handle. I would say WireEdge Roger's indoor picture and mine are pretty close. The actual being just a shade lighter. Kind of a green with some grey? My wife says I'm terrible at discerning any shades but the most obvious. Thanks. Mike
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Alnamvet68 wrote:Now, if they come out with a foliage green G-10, fully lined, steel lock back with steel spacers, I'll be in seventh heaven. I like more weight, and I do love collecting foliage green G-10 knives, and this Goddard is a prime candidate for such an upgrade. :)

Oh, and full torx screw construction as well.
But then it wouldn't be a Goddard Lightweight anymore...

TedP
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think the color looks great - I love OD green. Cool story about Wayne. I'm gonna google that knife right now.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Well, this thread is not making it any easier to resist... But I did just book a hotel for Blade so I must for now...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal