Spyderco Urban dead? Why Sal, Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Spyderco collecting is a dangerous, dangerous hobby (from a financial perspective, lol). I'd love to try out a couple more of Spyderco's "Little Big Knives" but for now I think the Dragonfly takes the cake. I wonder if compared directly, what would make you choose the Urban over the D'fly? Besides that it's a slipjoint?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tea

Post by tea »

kennethsime wrote:I wonder if compared directly, what would make you choose the Urban over the D'fly? Besides that it's a slipjoint?
I own a few Dragonfly's. In my opinion the Urban is better in every way. The only time I use a Dragonfly now, is the Salt when I know I will be spending most of my time soaked for whatever reason.

The Urban's handle is more comfortable and fills my hand better. Weight wise it is a happy balance between heavy enough to give confidence, but light enough to forget about.

The leaf blade is a work of art and the perfect size. I always found the Dragonfly's blade just a bit too small. The Urban's choil is the same fashion as the Dragonfly allowing it to have the same superior 'control' the Dragonfly is known for. Plus the choil also makes it practically impossible for the Slipit to, well, slip.

I'm probably coming off a bit fanatical :) , but the Urban simply does everything I need a folder to do. The extras I mentioned (back lock, steel liners) are not even necessary, they are just features I like that I wouldn't mind seeing in the model.

The Dragonfly has a huge following, and for good reason, but when I use it now I feel like something is missing. It's the Urban's anorexic sister.
tea

Post by tea »

Na
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:Certainly great knife

+1
I do not mind to change clip as well, but keep everything the same, including the color of G10.
The clip is a bit special. Great retention though...

If they change the G10 I'd like tan or brown G10. I do prefer to keep the green as well.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

tea wrote:Why Sal, Why? Why the Urban?
I can't believe that no one answered the question and took Sal off the hook, since he's too polite. I'm not. LOL

tea, it's because you didn't buy enough of them. ;)

Gordon
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just a little bit of pic whoring :D
Attachments
pingo 006.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Got mine in my pocket right now. If this exact knife had a lock - same size, shape, no liners, everything - it would be awesomer. It's a wonderfully perfect EDC size and weight. Blade shape has the perfect amount of point. Well, here's my pics...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Let's not forget this one...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz, nice black G-10 UKPK!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

NoFair wrote:Hopefully the world is ready for a sprint with skeletonized liners :D My CPM 440V leaf is in my right front pocket as I type
there is no way i would pass up a sprint of that knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'm surprised nobody's metioned the byrd Tern yet as an alternative for people who need an Urban fix. It has very similar dimensions, and, personally, a more comfortable handle.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

The Tern is nice knife for its bargain price but owning both i have to say the Urban is so far ahead quality wise I don't think it would really be fair to compare the two.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got two urbans, the orange Wharncliffe and the green Leaf. Both are superb knives - excellent fit and finish, superior ergonomics, and very compact. Actually, in a lot of circumstances I think the lack of a lock is a bonus. Specifically, if you are going to be deploying, closing, deploying, closing, deploying, closing your knife repeatedly (like when you are working on a craft project at a workbench) - then I find slip joints are quicker and easier to use. The choil is genius, Sal. It makes the UKPK/Urbans safer than a lot of lockbacks I've used over the years!

Bring 'em back! I'll buy more! Maybe a sprint run in Super Blue?

TedP

allory

Post by allory »

phillipsted wrote:Bring 'em back! I'll buy more! Maybe a sprint run in Super Blue?
Cruwear would be nice also.
tea

Post by tea »

Great pictures. I didn't realize the size of the Anso. It always looked big and clumsy to me in the pictures, but beside that Urban... I may have to buy one now...
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'd love to see an FRN Urban. I think the market for FRN slipits is bigger than for the high end versions.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...