Question about Military in Cruwear with Gray G10 Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rangodash

Question about Military in Cruwear with Gray G10 Handles

Post by Rangodash »

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and have recently preordered two militarys in Cruwear. Does anyone have a more specific date that it will be out besides May or June? Also, I have a couple of questions about the steel. First off, if I am correct it is not made using the CPM tech., right? Also, I've heard that it compares very similarly to Z-Wear and Vascowear, but if I'm not mistaken Z-Wear is a powdered steel. If anyone has experience with this steel, please tell me what your opinions on it's corrosion resistance, toughness, wear resistance, ease of sharpening, and edge holding. It would be greatly appreciated! Also, could anyone tell me how to put the information that would be directly below this where people list their spydercos? I tried signature and it didn't show up. Thank you all
paladin

Post by paladin »

let me be the first to welcome you to the boards, Rango...great bunch of folks here and information aplenty!!! Like you, I can't wait to hear the details on Cruwear as I'm sure you'll get a great answer here soon... cheers!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Here are some thoughts on the Cruwear Mule team knife: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... erformance

It seems you are correct in it not being a powdered steel. Spyderco doesn't give exact dates for upcoming releases, so May-June is probably the most accurate date we will get at the moment.

As for the signature, it should be in the top right under Settings, then in a column on the left there is an Edit Signature button, which should allow you to add in a signature. While I'm typing this very reply, I see that just beneath where I'm typing, on the left, is an option box for Show your signature. Mine is checked by default, but you may want to verify that it is checked when you are posting a reply.

Welcome to the forum!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Welcome to the forums. Im not sure what the answer is to your question but Im curious to find out. Im sure someone will be by soon to tell us.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

thank you!
(Libertarian)(.357)(CPM M4)
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

thank you very much, very helpful!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

There is some explanation of this steel on Spyderco's site with respect to its use in the Mules:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=703
Sierra_dave

Post by Sierra_dave »

Hi,

First post here but I have enjoyed reading many others. I just checked and I did not see on BF where Ankerson has tested Cruwear for comparison. I have used my Cruwear Mule and to me it seems a steel better suited for heavy blade construction. Something like the discontinued Hossum Forager or Schempp Rock?
fwiw
SD
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sierra_dave wrote:Hi,

First post here but I have enjoyed reading many others. I just checked and I did not see on BF where Ankerson has tested Cruwear for comparison. I have used my Cruwear Mule and to me it seems a steel better suited for heavy blade construction. Something like the discontinued Hossum Forager or Schempp Rock?
fwiw
SD
I will likely test it once the Military comes out and I get ahold of one to run.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Too many good knives coming out
and they're all Spyderco :p
Holland

Post by Holland »

Looks like everything has been answered, so ill just say, Welcome to the forums! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

thanks man
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

exactly haha
DBH

Post by DBH »

I want one, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. Any ideas?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

DBH wrote:I want one, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. Any ideas?
They haven't been made yet. You can email various sites and get on their waiting lists.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm sure Mastiff will chime in any minute now and bury you in a wealth of information regarding Cruwear. I am a believer after using my Mule and am very happy that Sal chose the Military as the platform to bring Cruwear to production.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've been playing around with Zwear lately, which is powdered vascowear/cruwear. While a very nice steel I'm still liking the ingot cruwear better. It seems like it has more bite with the same grit finish. I've always said it takes a savage bite , is stubborn and tough.

As far as making larger blades sure. They have made some moderately successful large fixed blades out of D2 and Cruwear is tougher and more wear resistant than D2. The Powder steel versions, like Z-wear or PD-1 are probably even tougher because of the smaller, possibly cleaner matrix and carbides. Still, I'd take 3V at rc 58 over cruwear for large chopping blades. 3V is a cousin derived from Cruwear and we all know it does choppers very well.

I am looking forward to the Cruwear Millie. How could I not be? It's an excellent platform for any good steel. Cruwear shouldn't really let anyone down unless they demand S90V wear, or 440C corrosion resistance. If you want a tough, stubborn, wear resistant knife then the Cruwear sprint should be up your alley.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

The Mastiff wrote: I am looking forward to the Cruwear Millie. How could I not be? It's an excellent platform for any good steel.
+1

Well said Joe!
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

very interesting, i appreciate it
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

The Mastiff wrote:I've been playing around with Zwear lately, which is powdered vascowear/cruwear. While a very nice steel I'm still liking the ingot cruwear better. It seems like it has more bite with the same grit finish.
In this case can't you simply lower the grit finish of the P/M and have whatever slicing aggression you want and then the advantages of the P/M steel (which are admittedly maker/manufacturer based).