2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Everybody breath deep. Trust that Spyderco will try to make this as fair as possible for everyone. I hope this doesn't become such a pain in the arse that the Spydercrew says forget it. It is sad that something that is supposed to be a special thing made for us by Spyderco is causing heated responses already. I feel confident that there will be more knives available than last time, hopefully everyone can get one.

I say if there is real concern for quantity, limit to one per person and verify that they have been active for at least 6 months to qualify and have a minimum post count of 25. If there are still some left after 2 weeks, open up sales for additional knives per person.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

araneae wrote:Everybody breath deep. Trust that Spyderco will try to make this as fair as possible for everyone. I hope this doesn't become such a pain in the arse that the Spydercrew says forget it. It is sad that something that is supposed to be a special thing made for us by Spyderco is causing heated responses already. I feel confident that there will be more knives available than last time, hopefully everyone can get one.

I say if there is real concern for quantity, limit to one per person and verify that they have been active for at least 6 months to qualify and have a minimum post count of 25. If there are still some left after 2 weeks, open up sales for additional knives per person.
There will always be certain types out there that will lets say take advantage and they ARE the problem....
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

araneae wrote:
Nice - I Agree
Atleast 6 months would weed out the vultures who just found out -
Then after - offer sales if any additional are available.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

araneae wrote:Everybody breath deep. Trust that Spyderco will try to make this as fair as possible for everyone.
This ^^^ Why do we need to tell Taz and Sal how to run this? :spyder:
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Wow. How did I miss out on this until now? Very excited about the look of the forum knife! I love the Native 5.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JNewell wrote:This ^^^ Why do we need to tell Taz and Sal how to run this? :spyder:

Yeah I know, but some do have concerns and they are legitimate. :)

Don't want to see good people miss out because others find a way to buy 10 or 20 at a pop and sell them on EBAY or BF at $500 a pop....
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

PatCatMan wrote: Atleast 6 months would weed out the vultures who just found out -
And also lump in people whose timing was coincidentally close to the forum knife but who have been long-time Spyderco fans and just didn't happen to have a specific need to come here until recently.

I joined here to try to track down the history of Spyderco models released in Carbon Fiber and Nishijin. Right after I joined, I saw an announcement of a new forum knife, and I thought "hey, neat, I don't have a Native 5 yet, and I don't have anything in 110V yet, that could be cool to jump on."

Since then I've seen an ever-increasing hostility toward anybody who is new to the forum. One guy makes a comment, possibly a joke, about buying a handful of them, and soon anybody who is new is a "vulture".

I bought my first Spydercos in 1998 - a first generation Endura and Rescue with plastic clips, which I still have and occasionally carry to this day. I have been loyal to this brand for fifteen years, and the ratcheting-up of hostility toward people like me, solely because of timing, is extremely off-putting.

I've seen exactly one person say something that made him sound like a jerk, in terms of trying to exploit this deal for profit. I've seen much more rudeness and unfair accusations coming from people who have been here much longer, and who are so concerned about protecting their ability to buy a knife that they are lumping people into a faceless group to be hated, based on a few people who acted crappy in the past.

Guys, relax and try to buy the knife - if you can't get it, forgo a couple packs of smokes or a nice meal at a restaurant, and buy the carbon fiber version with the exact same steel and WAY sexier handles. It's just a knife, it won't ruin your life if you miss out.

Throwing stones before the thing has even happened, working yourselves into a frenzy and pointing fingers, isn't going to help you get the knife.

That said, somebody else made a suggestion about folks trying to help out long-term members by picking up their max of two knives, and giving one, at-cost, to an old-timer who missed out. That's an awesome idea, and much more reflective of the inclusiveness and goodwill that I have seen everywhere else on this forum.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:And also lump in people whose timing was coincidentally close to the forum knife but who have been long-time Spyderco fans and just didn't happen to have a specific need to come here until recently.

I joined here to try to track down the history of Spyderco models released in Carbon Fiber and Nishijin. Right after I joined, I saw an announcement of a new forum knife, and I thought "hey, neat, I don't have a Native 5 yet, and I don't have anything in 110V yet, that could be cool to jump on."

Since then I've seen an ever-increasing hostility toward anybody who is new to the forum. One guy makes a comment, possibly a joke, about buying a handful of them, and soon anybody who is new is a "vulture".

I bought my first Spydercos in 1998 - a first generation Endura and Rescue with plastic clips, which I still have and occasionally carry to this day. I have been loyal to this brand for fifteen years, and the ratcheting-up of hostility toward people like me, solely because of timing, is extremely off-putting.

I've seen exactly one person say something that made him sound like a jerk, in terms of trying to exploit this deal for profit. I've seen much more rudeness and unfair accusations coming from people who have been here much longer, and who are so concerned about protecting their ability to buy a knife that they are lumping people into a faceless group to be hated, based on a few people who acted crappy in the past.

Guys, relax and try to buy the knife - if you can't get it, forgo a couple packs of smokes or a nice meal at a restaurant, and buy the carbon fiber version with the exact same steel and WAY sexier handles. It's just a knife, it won't ruin your life if you miss out.

Throwing stones before the thing has even happened, working yourselves into a frenzy and pointing fingers, isn't going to help you get the knife.

That said, somebody else made a suggestion about folks trying to help out long-term members by picking up their max of two knives, and giving one, at-cost, to an old-timer who missed out. That's an awesome idea, and much more reflective of the inclusiveness and goodwill that I have seen everywhere else on this forum.

I think a lot of people are remembering what has happened in the past.... ;)

And are concerned it may happen again....
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

araneae wrote: I feel confident that there will be more knives available than last time, hopefully everyone can get one.

I think this type of thinking, getting people's hopes up based on unfounded speculation, sets the stage for greater disappointment and recriminations. All these statements about how Spyderco should do this and that: produce a greater number of forum knives and bypass their computer ordering system in favor of having their phone lines jammed all day (with customers becoming irate over the wait times) are creating expectations that may not be met in terms of quantity and certainly will not be met in terms of screening buyers.

Remember, Spyderco has been running at FULL capacity for a year trying to catch up orders. Even having a Forum Knife in these circumstances is unlikely. Eric sneaks this in by piggybacking on the Native 5 S110V CF but has great difficulty scheduling production time for the blades. They do not have the time and capacity to make a large run likely (I hope I'm wrong on this) or go through a personalized ordering process. I know they have spent time trying to come up with a better way to do the factory seconds sale and the forum knife. Every change has it's pros and cons. After discussing many options on the seconds sales there was one change. I don't expect to see more than a minor tweak in the Forum Knife sale.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sequimite wrote:I think this type of thinking, getting people's hopes up based on unfounded speculation, sets the stage for greater disappointment and recriminations. All these statements about how Spyderco should do this and that: produce a greater number of forum knives and bypass their computer ordering system in favor of having their phone lines jammed all day (with customers becoming irate over the wait times) are creating expectations that may not be met in terms of quantity and certainly will not be met in terms of screening buyers.

Remember, Spyderco has been running at FULL capacity for a year trying to catch up orders. Even having a Forum Knife in these circumstances is unlikely. Eric sneaks this in by piggybacking on the Native 5 S110V CF but has great difficulty scheduling production time for the blades. They do not have the time and capacity to make a large run likely (I hope I'm wrong on this) or go through a personalized ordering process. I know they have spent time trying to come up with a better way to do the factory seconds sale and the forum knife. Every change has it's pros and cons. After discussing many options on the seconds sales there was one change. I don't expect to see more than a minor tweak in the Forum Knife sale.
I just think that the good honest people are hoping that they can get one or two of the forum knives for their collection and or to use. :)

That's as positive as I can say it.
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

Ankerson wrote:I just think that the good honest people are hoping that they can get one or two of the forum knives for their collection and or to use. :)

That's as positive as I can say it.
I will absolutely carry this specific knife. I have no compunction about putting this baby to work and sharpening (although infrequently) as needed. ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RevDevil wrote:I will absolutely carry this specific knife. I have no compunction about putting this baby to work and sharpening (although infrequently) as needed. ;)
Same here. :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Chiming in here. I wish people would calm down. We all want one. We will all try our best to get one. Yes, there will be some who try to buy up as many as possible, will lie cheat and steal to work around Spyderco's rules for this offer, and there's nothing we can do to stop them. Here's hoping that demand on the secondary market doesn't drive up the prices too high for those of us who may not be quick enough in the first round.

I do like the idea of people volunteering to resell a second forum knife at cost to dedicated forumites who missed out, but honestly I wouldn't expect that of anyone.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:I wonder if the universe would explode if one were to swap the S110V blade into a fluted Ti handle to make the ultimate Native 5? :D
I had similar thoughts, but that decided against. I love an idea about premium steel on Ti Fluted Native, but for me Forum knife is the forum knife and cannot be breaking down on pieces.
jabba359 wrote:Don't worry everyone. I'm creating 150 different accounts and writing a computer script to auto-purchase them all the second they go on sale. You can then purchase them from me on eBay for only 2-3x the price I get them for. I'll make sure that everyone who wants one, will get one. For a price that is. :D :rolleyes:
Kyle,
You are out of luck. I already created 300 accounts and a program, which will move the clock at SFO, so I will place an order for entire run an hour earlier than you. :D
And I will have all of forum knives for me :D :)
Evil D wrote:I see absolutely no problem with making a minimum post count (of something like 100+ posts) and a minimum length of time as a member to be able to qualify for these kinds of things.
Ankerson wrote:I think basic requirements should be met to stop the issues.
250 post min on this forum.
Post count not necessary will help. Some people can make 10 posts in one thread in one day without any good reasons, can you imagine, what they can do, if you give them motivation. :) Join day will help, but this will put too much time on SFO
kennethsime wrote:Chiming in here. I wish people would calm down. We all want one. We will all try our best to get one. Yes, there will be some who try to buy up as many as possible, will lie cheat and steal to work around Spyderco's rules for this offer, and there's nothing we can do to stop them. .
+1
Agree with almost everything.
Also, please, DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS
dam, I can make five posts instead of one and increase post count
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thank you Spyderco for offering such an attractive and capable knife as the 2013 forum knife. If I get one, it will be carried, used and well maintained, and will be a reminder of all the great people that make up Spyderco, and this forum. Sincere thanks! :spyder: :D
:bug-red-white
[ENFORCER]

Post by [ENFORCER] »

Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

I'll give this one a miss. I have 2 of the EDC forum natives which I love but the diamond pattern green G10 just isn't for me. Sorry Sal! Hopefully, I'll find the 2015 forum knife more appealing...
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

I joined after the 2009 forum knife was out so I missed it but I think purple handles would've been a no go for me. This 2013 knife I need in my pocket. I've liked the native 5 but haven't pulled the trigger because the rumors of some sprint run(s) that up the appeal. This is the one for me, I hope I will be successful. This thread has taken some twists, like a black Friday, I don't usually see in the forum . :rolleyes: I will guess a run of at least 300 pieces and hope for more for everyone to enjoy. As for minimum posts I don't like, I lean more to reading than posting, so I would favor join date. There may be some who just joined for one reason, but I don't want to judge. :D Shiny footprints. :)
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I'm personally not in favor of a minimum post count or join date prerequisite. There are many folks who, for one reason or another choose to silently read and observe and not be a "chatty Cathy" yapping all the time. I see nothing wrong with that and those people should not be excluded. Just my .02
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
WMR

Post by WMR »

No worries created here....I will not compete. I have a Native, but it is not my favorite . But, I really would like to work with S110V. If they have enough, it would be an interesting addition to the Mule Team. Just my $00.02.