Forum Knife... Some (Limited) Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I'd like to see something with a Wharncliffe blade... That way an expensive steel could be used, and the blade length can be kept at a minimum. That would effectively cut cost/price but not effect the cutting performance. Wouldn't mind a non-locking slipit either.
blevinsknives

Post by blevinsknives »

Hello all. I think the Native 5 would be an awesome choice! Excellent platform. :)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Would like to go in on a group buy, if still possible (just saw this thread). Any idea of when this will actually be happening? Is there an official list from Spyderco, or a specific contact person to get with? Didn't read the whole thread. tim
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

noseoil wrote:Would like to go in on a group buy, if still possible (just saw this thread). Any idea of when this will actually be happening? Is there an official list from Spyderco, or a specific contact person to get with? Didn't read the whole thread. tim
More information about the forum knife can be found here: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 5-C41GPGR5
MCM

Post by MCM »

Common posters killed that thread.
As I would not like to miss this one, is there any new info?

I will ask 'em at Blade in a few weeks, but am curious.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

noseoil wrote:Would like to go in on a group buy, if still possible (just saw this thread). Any idea of when this will actually be happening? Is there an official list from Spyderco, or a specific contact person to get with? Didn't read the whole thread. tim
Not released yet. No group buys. You just buy straight from Spyderco with their discount code yet to be released.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

AFAIK, the information in the first post is still correct, however.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks for asking the question ............ I wanted to ask this myself.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Wait, did I miss the Forum knife drop? I don't see the sticky thread anymore.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The thread got totally out of control and was locked and de-stickied. Pretty sad (worse than that, but...).
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:Wait, did I miss the Forum knife drop? I don't see the sticky thread anymore.
It's not out yet, but it was announced what it would be - a native 5 with a new handle texture and S110V steel. The thread was locked and unstickied because some members, both new and old, said things that were unfair and sometimes offensive, and the discussion got quite heated.

Even with the moderators clarifying that the knife is meant for anyone who "participates" in the online forums - even anonymous users who only read and never post, emotions kept flaring up and the thread was eventually closed.

When it does come out, it will be limited to two purchases per person, hopefully mitigating the hoarding and "buy a bunch to sell for profit" that ruffled feathers in the past. It's also a higher end knife that, while being released at an awesome price point for the steel being used, will be out of many peoples' price range - that will likely make them a bit easier to get. These will be quite popular, regardless - it's a favored design with a super-steel at a great price.

There will also be a Carbon Fiber Native 5 with S110V - it won't be the forum knife, but it will hopefully give a chance for others who want this super steel in the native 5 package to get their hands on it. Honestly, as implied by my screen name, I'd prefer the CF to the forum knife, but I might end up with both, since the forum knife is such a great price and a chance to remember the moment when I finally decided to stop lurking and start posting.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yup...but on price, remember the forum member discount - I think (I did not go back to check) it was about $140. I have a Strider SnG in S110V and it was quite a bit more. :(
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:I think that's an inaccurate characterization of what happened.
I won't get involved in this.

Oh wait! I already did. :D
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

JNewell wrote:I think that's an inaccurate characterization of what happened.
I disagree - from the perspective of a new person who coincidentally joined around the time the announcement was made, and saw a lot of vitriol (some deserved, some not) in that thread, that's very much how I saw it.

I am not really interested in contributing to sending this thread down the same drain as that one, though, so let's agree to disagree on the details, and agree that things got ugly enough for the moderators to step in, and we'd rather be better than that this time around.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Happily edited! :spyder:
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

For the love of Pete, please don't start another petty and childish argument about the forum knife. Greed and entitlement are not fun topics. This stuff is getting old.

If everyone agrees to stop posting on this now, it will die out and go no further, and we can get on with the process of enjoying this forum.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mikerestivo wrote:For the love of Pete, please don't start another petty and childish argument about the forum knife. Greed and entitlement are not fun topics. This stuff is getting old.

If everyone agrees to stop posting on this now, it will die out and go no further, and we can get on with the process of enjoying this forum.
I'm tempted to join the argument just to push your buttons mike. :p
DJ

Post by DJ »

I want one of these Forum knives pretty bad ............if they let me have two , then I,ll get two.
Then I can freely use one .........
Ive never owned a native mainly because its never come in a what I call a super steel ..........that I know of anyway.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Alright cool, back to the knife...

It's May. An announcement should be coming soon!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Can't wait! Love the chain link handle
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris