new knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

which one?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Spyderco salt 1
13%
Spyderco caly 3.5
88%

Total votes: 24

Knivesinedc

new knife?

Post by Knivesinedc »

:spyder: i need a knife to replace my Native lightweight serrated because it doesn't fit my needs that well. the 2 choices to replace it are: Spyderco salt 1 yellow or A Spyderco Caly 3.5.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I've got a Damascus Caly 3 in my pocket at the moment, so my recommendation is obvious - the ergos of the Caly are awesome, and it's a very nice-looking knife for EDC that doesn't look overly intimidating.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Unless rust is a major concern, I'd go with the Caly 3.5. It's nice and slim in the pocket, but packs a lot of blade in there.
:bug-red-white
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

I Have To Admit I Do Not EDC My Caly 3.5 Daily But It Is One Of The Four Spydies That I Regularly Rotate That Gets Pocket Time.....
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

The 2 knives you're asking for advice on are very different. Size is significantly different, and ergonomics are significantly different -- the Caly has a choil and the Salt does not. I prefer a knife without a choil... so I'm the only one who recommended the Salt.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I'm around water a lot and well I love the salt series vote salt
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

If corrosion and rust are issues go salt if not, go with the caly! Great blade and great edc if you like the blade size
araneae

Post by araneae »

What about the Native is the problem? What do you use the knife for? The two you listed are pretty different in terms of price, construction and size. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Both are great knives, but the Salt 1 is more of an everyday work knife. It is also my knife of choice for dirty work and outside use.

The Caly is a dressier choice that can certainly handle all sorts of real world use. I feel less bad about beating on a Salt than I do on a Caly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Really depends on what you like and don't like about the Native. For example, the Salt and Native are both unlined FRN, so if that's an issue for whatever reason, then the Caly 3.5 would be a better choice. Same deal if the barrel bolt clip is not to your liking. The Caly 3.5 would also be the logical choice if you like having a 50/50 choil or want something a bit more "upscale" looking. Then too, while serrated H-1 is close to unbeatable in terms of edge holding, it's a poor choice for a plain edge knife unless total immunity to rust is your highest priority.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!