That darn Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

That darn Starmate

Post by toomzz »

Hello forum,

there is much said about the Starmate and I want share some final thoughts with you.
After EDC-ing it a couple of weeks I conclude that I really like this heavy folder. I changed a couple of things to the knife. As I told before I blasted the clips, pivot and screws, cleansed and finished the bad finish of the knife and replaced the 1 mm G10 by 3 mm thick black G10 slabs.
I changed the slabs a couple of times. The thin original slabs are good for IWB carry but I don't like the knife in the pocket, thin or thick slabs.
The blade opens with a solid 'click' and breaths that it's a heavy one. Like!
Finally I added an aluminum blasted spacer (should have been there!) and I changed the the sunken torx-screws for buttonheads. The latter alteration is pure esthetics but button-torxes in the handle gives the knife just the appeal it deserves.
For my daily purposes at the office the knife a little to big, but it will be keeper. The liner lock is still a the beginning of the tang and strangely the knife is off-center with original G10 and spot on centered with my custom slabs.
I have plan to integrate the 'bug-pin' in the handle or do some more to the custom black G10 but it hasn't formed in my head yet :rolleyes:
I also make a couple of more slabs for the knife, dark green textured G10 or canvas micarta....keep you informed.....
IMHO the knife would have been superb in an exotic steel; SB or M4 with the original hollow ground.....
Tom
zippy2001

Post by zippy2001 »

Sounds nice, let's see some pix. :-)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Standard reply demanding pics!!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sounds interesting. Another pic request!
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

pictures pictures pictures!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Knifeaddict

Post by Knifeaddict »

I would like to replace the screws on a cpl of my Spydies. exactly where do you get button head screws for Spydies?

and yeah Pics or it isnt for real :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Now Toom, it's hard to believe you didn't include pics, or at least beg forgiveness while promising pics in the future. :)

What you did sounds great. In case it hasn't mentioned, can you provide some pictures of your work? :) Of the work you've done that I've seed, this knife will be worth looking at.

Jack
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

.....you guys are right, no pic no story.... :) See for yourself.
3mm G10, buttonhead torxes, Alu-spacer and blasted hardware...Nice and rounded, perfect fit for (my) large hands....
Attachments
air starmate bradley 006 (350x263).jpg
Tom