Closed spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scorpion

Closed spyderco

Post by Scorpion »

Not much of a question, but when a back-lock spydie is in closed position, the "heel" of the blade (the blocky part that attaches the pivot to the edge) is resting on the inside of the back-lock, as opposed to the edge of the blade resting on the inside of the handle, right?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sort of. There's a specific protrusion on the lower side of the tang, just behind the edge, that makes contact with some portion of the lock mechanism. On most Spyderco midlocks the location of that contact point is behind the lockbar pivot, which makes it impossible for the edge of the blade to touch anything inside the handle, even if you squeeze down on it. However, there are a few exceptions to that. Even on the exceptions, the only time the edge will contact the spring or backspacer is if you squeeze the closed knife, or allow the blade to snap shut.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The part name you're looking for is the tang. And yes, that's what rests, not the edge (if I understand you correctly)

Ken

Agh, Paul beat me... Again! And with a better/clearer response ;)
玉鋼
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

The Deacon wrote:Sort of. There's a specific protrusion on the lower side of the tang, just behind the edge, that makes contact with some portion of the lock mechanism. On most Spyderco midlocks the location of that contact point is behind the lockbar pivot, which makes it impossible for the edge of the blade to touch anything inside the handle, even if you squeeze down on it. However, there are a few exceptions to that. Even on the exceptions, the only time the edge will contact the spring or backspacer is if you squeeze the closed knife, or allow the blade to snap shut.
Would I be correct in assuming that the lightweight ladybug style knifes are not among the exceptions? If so, no further clarification would be necessary.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbuzbee wrote:The part name you're looking for is the tang. And yes, that's what rests, not the edge (if I understand you correctly)

Ken

Agh, Paul beat me... Again! And with a better/clearer response ;)
And the specific part of the tang that serves as a blade stop is called the kick, or kicker. Had a brain fart earlier, couldn't think of that word.
Scorpion wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that the lightweight ladybug style knifes are not among the exceptions? If so, no further clarification would be necessary.
Actually, no. But the good news is that the kick makes contact barely in front of the lockbar pivot. So almost zero leverage which means that, while in theory, you can squeeze the blade edge against the inside of the handle, in practice it takes enough pressure that it's not going to happen unless you really want it to.
Paul
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

That's good. I suppose that means flicking it open and closed won't do it either?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

With my hands I wouldn't even try to flick a knife that small open, but the Ladybug's blade is so short and light I'm not sure if it's even possible to flick one open.
Paul
Invective

Post by Invective »

The Deacon wrote:With my hands I wouldn't even try to flick a knife that small open, but the Ladybug's blade is so short and light I'm not sure if it's even possible to flick one open.
I've managed to flick my Jester open before, but even when I'm trying I have to line up my hands and fingers and the blade perfectly and hold it justttt..... right. It probably works around 10% of the time, but it is possible.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

The Deacon wrote:With my hands I wouldn't even try to flick a knife that small open, but the Ladybug's blade is so short and light I'm not sure if it's even possible to flick one open.
Try holding down the backlock so the blade is loose and then it might flick.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Scorpion wrote:Try holding down the backlock so the blade is loose and then it might flick.
Thanks, but it's both easier and considerably more reliable to open them normally or, for the Jester I carry with my keys, Spydie drop it open using their weight to pull the handle down. Think I may have done that once or twice in the ten years I've been carrying it. If I want to flick something in and out for amusement, I'll play with one of my MT DA/OTFs.
Paul
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

One underappreciated aspect of Spyderco's approach to the "kick" is that it's flat and long, so it "bottoms out" on the underside of the lug of the lock bar. If you squeeze the closed blades of most traditional lock backs into the handle, the lock bar will pivot and the edge will contact the inside of the back spacer, causing a dull spot. Snapping the blade closed quickly does the same thing, with an even more pronounced effect.

Spyderco's approach won't allow that, so the edge remains protected from contact with the inside of the handle slot. I learned that with my first Gen 1 Endura way back when and thought it was pretty cool.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/

It is well worth the read ... once a day for a week, then once a week for a month, and then once a month for a year. The knowledge you gain will be far more practical and insightful that the same time spent reading personal views, half truths, and innuendo.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I can do the middle finger flick, thumb flick and reverse ring finger flick on all my locking spydies including the ladybug and dragonfly. Just takes a little practice.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I can do the middle finger flick, thumb flick and reverse ring finger flick on all my locking Spydies including the Ladybug, Jester and Dragonfly.
I have large hands too, It just takes a little practice and a lot of fondling.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

einstein2001 wrote:I can do the middle finger flick, thumb flick and reverse ring finger flick on all my locking Spydies including the Ladybug, Jester and Dragonfly.
I have large hands too, It just takes a little practice and a lot of fondling.
That sounds like fun. I just want to be sure it wouldn't harm the edge.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Michael Janich wrote:One underappreciated aspect of Spyderco's approach to the "kick" is that it's flat and long, so it "bottoms out" on the underside of the lug of the lock bar....Spyderco's approach won't allow that, so the edge remains protected from contact with the inside of the handle slot.

Stay safe,

Mike
I think it's something that is definitely overlooked. Another overlooked feature on the lockbacks is the presence of a handle "feature" to act as an indexing point to ensure that the unsharpened kick or choil will touch your finger rather than the edge when you close it with one hand.

To me it shows that these knives were designed with using in mind and in some cases, the aesthetics fall where they may. That being said, many of the newer lockback designs show a fluidity of design that is wonderful. The Stretch and Police 3 come immediately to mind while some of the older "classics" like the Calypso series and the Dragonfly show it as well.

Functional designs, unmatched material selections and excellent manufacturing that all come from a company that conducts itself in a manner that is refreshing these days...those are just some of the reason that 80% of my knives have a Spyder on them.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...