Spyderco at the OKCA show this year?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
invisiblemonster

Spyderco at the OKCA show this year?

Post by invisiblemonster »

I noticed in the recent Spyderco March Byte that Spyderco will be at the Lone Star Knife Expo April 13-14 in Dallas, TX. That's the same weekend as the Oregon Knife Collectors Association show in Eugene, OR. Does this mean no OKCA show for Spyderco this year?
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

I'm planning on seeing Sal and Eric and the family along with Peter and Joyce. My Wife, Son and future daughter-in-law will be attending along with the Golden Child, my son's Golden Lab. Bob Weinstock will be visiting with me at the show and is one of my heros. If he is there when you stop ask to see if he has any knives with him, you will be blown away with his work. Stop and say hello, most importantly Identify yourself by your forum name, you might get a surprise. If you buy one of my designs from me I will give a good price and a hat with duel logos of mine and Spyderco's. I don't have any new folders done for the show, but I will have some reasonably priced kitchen knives.

I go off on a tangent frequently and make several of the focus of my interest. Right now I'm experimenting with geometry of the grind and the edge. I'm trying to reduce the amount of steel in the blade and at the edge to give the most pleasurable cutting experience. Or as Sal would say, "no more than necessary, no less than perfection". I just have to revisit that goal in different avenues of design and performance....Take Care...Ed
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Looking forward to see you guys there, I'm going to be coming down from Portland
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sorry to say I will miss the show this year. I hope to see Ed, Sal, Eric, Jose and many others in 2014.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

They will probably be showing my prototype; therefore, I have to go.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
invisiblemonster

Post by invisiblemonster »

Good to hear Ed! I always enjoy chatting with everyone, I think I missed you last show but i'll be sure to stop by and say hi this year.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I will most certainly be there both days of the show and can't wait to stop by the Spyderco table. It was nothing short of breath taking last year and I expect it will be the same this year. This is one of the days I mark on my calendar and there are few things in this world that could keep me from attending. Look forward to meeting up with some of the forumites this year.

Anyone ever thought of putting a gathering together at the OKCA show?
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I won't be at the OKCA, but I'm definitely planning on attending the Lone Star Knife Show, glad to hear that Spyderco will be there, I will definitely look for their booth. I bet it doesn't matter how much $$ I bring, I won't have enough for everything that I want :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm kind of worried and surprised that Sal hasn't chimed in on this one. I am looking forward to seeing Eric and him at the OKCA, but will be sad if they are in Texas.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
sal

Post by sal »

We'll be there.

sal
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

See you in a week Sal.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

edit - I guess that Sal and Eric will be in Oregon and not Texas this weekend. Bummer for us......
"The edge is a wonderous thing." - Sal
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Coming down from Portland with my wife tomorrow as well. Looking forward to meeting Sal and the whole Spyderco crew. Should be a great time.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

What a day! I cannot wait for tomorrow, this show is amazing. There are more designers and spydercollaborators than I can count. The brain picking alone is worth the membership dues.
Sir Humphry Davy
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

It was great talking to the Spyderco forum members at the show. Should be lots of prototypes on display today.

spyderwa

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Page

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Spyderwa is a huge help on locating all kinds of deals, and shared a great deal of knowledge. I got to meet Ferris Wheels, and he ended up taking home some really awesome Para2 sprints. Ed made me a heck of a deal on a Khukuri, Spyderwa hooked me and my friend up with excellent Kiwis, and now I'm really really broke.

All I can say is that Spyderco pulled out all the stops this year. I got introduced to the stop lock and the power lock. The stop lock opens a whole bunch of interesting doors. I went home and started playing with the idea now that I have seen how one works. It is a really neat lock. Other things I saw were also really inspirational. Ed had some new designs that were excellent. There was also a new form of non-locking knife that I thought was neat. Sadly, I didn't get to see the Domino. The stuff that they can do with texturing is really great these days though.

Thanks again everybody for another great year. I can't wait for next year!
Sir Humphry Davy