Dodo Lock Failure

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jimd

Dodo Lock Failure

Post by Jimd »

Sal, I'm going to have to send the Dodo back for repair.

Remember I said I adjusted the pivot points, and the blade tightened up nicely, and it was working great?

Well, the lock completely failed; I can close the knife very easily without even unlocking the ball. In other words, there is just about zero lock-up. Nearly got my finger in there, which would have just about taken it off.

Dang, I really like this knife, too! I'm not sure that I'll have confidence in it's lock in the future.

Sniper -- One Shot, One Kill Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Whoa! Sounds like you got a baddie. Wouldn't blame the lock,though. Whenever anything is manufactured,there's always gonna be x% bad. Personally,I think tang locks(Ball,Axis,Arc) are the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure Sal and the gang wouldn't have even put it into production if it wasn't right. Spyderco doesn't seem to be the kind of folks to let the customer do their QA for them.

I'm certain your replacement will be right.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Dynaryder: Whoa! Sounds like you got a baddie. Wouldn't blame the lock,though. Whenever anything is manufactured,there's always gonna be x% bad. >>>

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. Now, to make a liar out of me, the lock on the knife is working perfectly.

I'm still going to send it back, though, and hopefully, it will act up when the Spyderco folks play with it.

I'm sure their customer service will make me happy. I still love the Dodo, don't get me wrong. It's an awesome knife, and I plan on carrying one for the foreseeable future.

And like you said, with man-made items, there are bound to be a few in there that fall a little short now and then. I've no problem with that, as the Spyderco folks seem very reasonable to deal with.

bell

Post by bell »

I think you messed around with this knife too much and screwed it up.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim, sorry, we'll need it back. We've already made a few minor refinements in production and we would rather you had them in your piece.

Hi Bell. You should be able to "mess with it". That's one of the beauties of the Dodo and the ball bearing lock. The self adjustment on the lock should always lock up tight.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dynaryder, You are correct in that we don't like to use the customer for Q&A. Unfortunately, on a brand new item, we don't always catch all of the possibilities the first time out of the chute.

But.....we fix......and CQI.

sal
CKE

Post by CKE »

Great blade, great service, great company!

"everything else is just a jeep"
bell

Post by bell »

Hi CKE: Amen
Hi Jim: Let us know how the refinements work out. The Dodo is my EDC and I just can not find anything wrong with it, even my wife likes it..
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Bell: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you messed around with this knife too much and screwed it up. >>>

If I "screwed around too much with it", then why do the pivot screws have provisions for adjustment by an Allen Wrench?

My only guess is that you're implying I'm a moron who can't turn a screw. If I'm off base with that, then I apologize ahead of time.

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Sal: Hi Jim, sorry, we'll need it back. We've already made a few minor refinements in production and we would rather you had them in your piece.>>>

I think I'd like to have them, too. :-)
It's okay, I realize that on items that are produced by man, sometimes they need a small change here and there.

I'm quite eager to get the new Dodo, as I can't tell you how much I love that knife.

Sal: Sorry for the inconvenience.>>>>>

Sal, it's impossible for me to be mad; you guys have wonderful service and stand behind your product. No one can ask more than that. Your company is to be commended, as customer service this good is difficult to find these days.

I will, however, be in agony for the time that my beloved Dodo is away. The darn thing is just simply the most useful utility knife that I've ever owned.

Thanks for your help, Sal.

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Bell: Hi Jim: Let us know how the refinements work out. >>>>>>>>

I definitely will. I've got all the confidence that the next knife will be 100% perfect. Can't wait to get my paws on it!

CKE

Post by CKE »

jim>checked my Dodo as we were having similar concerns and man this thing is rock solid. WAY better than my axis lock! Glad you are getting yours right. Take Care!

"everything else is just a jeep"
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Well, I'm getting ready to ship my Dodo back to Spyderco.

I spoke with Mike Hayes and asked him if they couldn't ship out a replacement Dodo to me while I shipped my malfunctioning knife back to Spyderco, so that I wouldn't have to be without my knife so long.

No dice. I just have to wait for it to get there, be repaired, and come back. I have to say, I am disappointed with the whole situation.

Sal, if you're reading this, could you please ask Mike to send me back a completely new knife? There's no way I can place any faith in the old knife's locking mechanism, even if it's repaired. The thing nearly ripped into my finger.

Meanwhile, I'll glumly wait for my knife to get back. :-(

Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Jim,
First off, I don't really know any knife company that will send you a replacement as they work on your blade. Luckily though, Spyderco's turn around rate is very quick. I had shipped them a mini temp and got it back in 7 days. Secondly, they are true to their word and will definately fix it. Spyderco won't send it back to you unless it works 100%. They are great people!
Matt
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Just got my Dodos;a #'d SE and reg PE. Both work smooth w/solid lockup. Been toying w/the PE since I got it. Works as smooth as my BM 806 and SOG Sculptura,but is way cooler 'cause it's a Spydie.

Jim: think you just got a baddie.

Sal: please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please,please! Put the Ball Lock on the Military and Civilian!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Dynaryder: Jim: think you just got a baddie. >>>

I imagine so, but I'm still seriously bummed out over the deal. Right now, my knife is ? in transit ? somewhere. All I know is, it's not in my pocket where I'd like it to be.

So far, no word on it yet...

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim. Got your knife yesterday, new one going out today.

sal
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Hi Jim. Got your knife yesterday, new one going out today.
sal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sal, that's outstanding! Thanks very, very much. It's not often that the president of a company will personally get involved in customer satisfaction. I applaud you.

Just out of curiosity, could you let me know if/what you find anything wrong with the Dodo that I sent in?
Thanks again.

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Aug. 29th: Hi Jim. Got your knife yesterday, new one going out today.

sal >>>>>>>>

Still haven't received it yet. I wonder if something is amiss with the mail, as I think it should likely have arrived by now. (?)

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Spyderco ships UPS, keep an eye out for the brown truck.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Sal,
I spoke to Mike Hayes in Warranty/Repair today. He had promised to send my Dodo back on Overnight Shipping in order to minimize my inconvenience at having to go without my Dodo.

Mike said he forgot to send it Overnight because the warranty department is up to their eyeballs in work, which kind of surprised me. According to Mike, the knife is scheduled to arrive Monday. If it was sent out on August 29th, and it arrives Monday, that's ten days if my calculations are correct. I was tempted to ask him if he sent it by Pony Express....