How to tell if a Manix 2 (tan) is a

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tommybbq

How to tell if a Manix 2 (tan) is a

Post by tommybbq »

How to tell if a Manix 2 (tan) is a sprint run or not? I know the black comes as a sprint run and doesn't also. But how about the tan one??? Any info. on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure what you mean. The only tan I'm aware of was the M4 sprint. It'll have the steel type engraved into the tang.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BAL

Post by BAL »

I'm with Evil on the Tan, I don't recall a Tan that wasn't a Sprint.

Oh, and welcome.
tommybbq

Post by tommybbq »

Evil D wrote:Not sure what you mean. The only tan I'm aware of was the M4 sprint. It'll have the steel type engraved into the tang.
OK, it's just that I believe and correct me if I'm wrong but the black comes both ways, right?
tommybbq

Post by tommybbq »

OK, that's good to hear because I just bought one tonight and just wanted to be sure.
Thanks.
Tommy B.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

tommybbq wrote:OK, it's just that I believe and correct me if I'm wrong but the black comes both ways, right?
What do you mean the black one comes both ways? Just want to make sure we are answering your question fully.

There was only one tan Manix2 and it was a dealer exclusive for Bento Box with CPM-M4.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Technically, the Tan Manix 2 with a Full Flat Ground CPM-M4 blade was a dealer exclusive for Bento Box Shop. A sprint is one that Spyderco releases through the distribution channels and many dealers get some.

As far as I know, all standard production Manix 2's have been saber ground and all sprint and dealer exclusives have been full flat ground with the exception of the Pink Manix 2.

Before the production of the Manix 2, I believe there were 50 pre-production samples made, 25 with Full Flat Grind and 25 with Saber grind. I wouldn't call those sprints or production.

The only exception I know of is when I sent my Tan Manix scales to another forum member, they scale swapped them to help with the sale of a rit dyed Pink Manix 2.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I think by "black one comes both ways" he means that you can get a black Manix 2 that is regular production and there was also a limited production black Manix 2. If that is what you mean, tommybbq, then you are correct. The sprint run black Manix 2 was made with CTS-BD30P steel and has a full flat grind and skeletonized liners. The regular production Manix 2 has a hollow saber grind, S30V or 154CM steel, and unskeletonized liners. I also think I remember hearing that the G10 used on the BD30P sprint is coarser than that used on the regular production Manix 2.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ricechrispy wrote:I think by "black one comes both ways" he means that you can get a black Manix 2 that is regular production and there was also a limited production black Manix 2. If that is what you mean, tommybbq, then you are correct. The sprint run black Manix 2 was made with CTS-BD30P steel and has a full flat grind and skeletonized liners. The regular production Manix 2 has a hollow saber grind, S30V or 154CM steel, and unskeletonized liners. I also think I remember hearing that the G10 used on the BD30P sprint is coarser than that used on the regular production Manix 2.
Oh of course. Thank you :)
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

ricechrispy wrote:I think by "black one comes both ways" he means that you can get a black Manix 2 that is regular production and there was also a limited production black Manix 2. If that is what you mean, tommybbq, then you are correct. The sprint run black Manix 2 was made with CTS-BD30P steel and has a full flat grind and skeletonized liners. The regular production Manix 2 has a hollow saber grind, S30V or 154CM steel, and unskeletonized liners. I also think I remember hearing that the G10 used on the BD30P sprint is coarser than that used on the regular production Manix 2.
I'm pretty sure this is right. I remember seeing some blac sprints and of course the production black ones.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:What do you mean the black one comes both ways? Just want to make sure we are answering your question fully.
I kinda think the OP may be missing a definition of Sprint.

We're talking about a short run of knives with something different about them. It can be the steel. Scale material or color. Coating. Etc etc.... But there is something different. You don't have sprints and regular production that are the same, except for a label (of one being a Sprint)

So while scales being a certain color may well define a particular Sprint, you wouldn't generally say "Black Manix 2s come both ways" More typically you call out the difference, in your case, ' is the M4 Manix 2 a Sprint?'. On this one, you could call it 'the tan Manix 2' but that would kinda have been answering your own question, if that makes sense?

Ken
玉鋼
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Right on the money I own the BD30P and the G10 is more coarse than the production models
tommybbq

Post by tommybbq »

Thanks for the info. guys!
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Glad I stopped in this thread, I had been thinking about getting a Manix2 that was closer to the Manix2 XL with the FFG and the skeletonized liners, and it looks like that Spyderco Plain Edge Full Flat Grind CTS-BD30P Black G-10 Manix 2 at Bento Box is the closest I have found. How does the CTS-BD30P on this one compare to the CPM S30V that the XL comes with?

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
Donut

Post by Donut »

They are supposed to be very similar.

To comment on the coarse texture. The pattern on my BD30P Manix is larger, but feels more rounded. I don't know if I would say it is more coarse as coarse suggests it is rougher.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Donut wrote:They are supposed to be very similar.

To comment on the coarse texture. The pattern on my BD30P Manix is larger, but feels more rounded. I don't know if I would say it is more coarse as coarse suggests it is rougher.
I do agree with you, ."more pronounced" is better term
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

IIRC the BD30P replaced the initial steel announce which was CTS B75P . Still want to try some of that steel.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle