The many face's of my Byrd Flight

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
smeecogg

The many face's of my Byrd Flight

Post by smeecogg »

So i recently bought a Byrd Flight with a S.S. handle. I tacked it on to an order so as to get free shipping. Upon unboxing i loved the blade shape, weight and overall look of the knife.

BUT!! my god is stainless slippery no grip at all, and no jimping. Let alone the clip!!!!! huge!! So first was to add some jimping.

Then was to try and get some grip on this stainless. The only thing i had lying around that caught my eye was an old golf club grip. Cut a bit out and tried.

I thought it looked great but with the clip being so fat and this adding even more fatness. It was too beefy. And the more i held and used it i did not like the handle shape. The space between the top of the handle and the start of the blade kept getting caught on everything. So from there i removed golf grip and clip and did a little filing and sanding to the handle to make it fit my large hands and eliminate the space that was getting caught.

When finished you can see that an old tool belt was lying around and now this caught my eye. Cut out 2 pcs of leather for either side and installed. WOW!!! i now love this knife more then several others i own that cost 10 times the money. The fit, cut, look, and feel of this knife are incredible!!!!! Thanks Sal for giving me this opportunity to experiment, cause even god knows i would never touch my Spydies!!

Chris
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Very nice mods! The golf club grip looked pretty good, if only it hadn't been too thick.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I like the look of the belt and I bet it's quite grippy. Did you use Superglue or gorilla glue or something like that for adhesion?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
smeecogg

Post by smeecogg »

Did you use Superglue or gorilla glue or something like that for adhesion?
Loctite 495!!! its like Franks Hot Sauce!! i put that s*#t on everything!!
anglinaj

Re: The many face's of my Byrd Flight

Post by anglinaj »

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.
http://www.test-king.com/cert-PHR.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.test-king.com/learning/Secur ... ations.htm
Jazz

Re: The many face's of my Byrd Flight

Post by Jazz »

Nice work smeecogg. That's actually a pretty nice looking knife. Hmmm... you're giving me ideas.
- best wishes, Jazz.