'Greying' G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dynaryder

'Greying' G-10

Post by dynaryder »

I've got these two G-10 handled knives;a C19 and a Benchmade AFCK. Both are NIB,never carried/used,haven't been displayed,etc. But both their handles have turned a sliver/grey color. What's weird is I have a second AFCK of the same model(prolly same year as well) that has been carried and used,but the handles are perfect black. Anyone know why this happens? Any way of fixing it? Thought about using Armor All for a second,but don't want the handles to be slippery.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I'm guessing that the oils from your hands helped keep the G-10 from fading / drying out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jay_Ev wrote:I'm guessing that the oils from your hands helped keep the G-10 from fading / drying out.
Bingo. It's an old trick with G10, when it gets old looking, just oil it and it looks brand new again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ARandom

Post by ARandom »

I use Ballistol and it makes the scales look brand new
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Interesting. Can't see my hands as being the reason the used one looks good,the entire surface of the handles is black. Does the drying out of the handles weaken them in any way?
JD Spydo

G-10 handles do need TLC and Ballistol

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been my experience that over time and especially under demanding conditions that G-10 will indeed fade to some extent. I'm not really sure if it is an actual process of truly fading or if the material is being depleted of some of it's properties.

I routinely do treatments on all of my G-10 handled blades with a product called Ballistol. I have found that Ballistol seems to condition G-10 handles and even revives and rejuvenates them as well. I have had excellent results using it not only to clean G-10 handles with but to lubricate and condition it as well.

The Ballistol really seems to give G-10 something it's lacking over time. Try giving your "graying" G-10 handles a dose of Ballistol and I'm 99% sure you'll love the results.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!