Do any Spydies come Loctited?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Do any Spydies come Loctited?

Post by flash900 »

The latest Chris Reeve model (Seb 25) comes with a Loctited pivot and some users report that the Hinderer XMs also are Loctited.

Do any Spydies require Loctite to keep the pivot adjusted?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All screws come with blue thread sealer on them. I would recommend using the same after you have taken out or adjusted any screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

yep, spyderco even gave me a tube of the loctite they used when i bought a new clip kit
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

They come from the factory with what looks like some sort of thread locker on the threads of the screws. However on every model I've had it looks like it doesn't work. Like you buy the screw that already have a thread locker on them but it's dry. You're supposed to screw them in and then it locks the threads. In my experience unless the screws are screwed in fast enough to produce heat via friction it doesn't work.

A lot of Spydies I get from Golden, CO. I have to remove the screws and use my own Loc-tite. The ones made in Japan are hit or miss. The Taiwan models are all perfect and the screws are Loc-Tited.

I only remove the pivot screw and use Loc-tite on it if I don't like the action or if it seems loose. I never remove the pivot on the ones from Taiwan. The Japan models I do only sometimes. In fairness, the Manix 2, Para 2 and Yojimbo 2 have all NOT needed any adjustments at all. Perfect out of the box.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
flash900

Post by flash900 »

That's really interesting. I had never heard that Spyderco uses Loctite, much less on every screw.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

flash900 wrote:That's really interesting. I had never heard that Spyderco uses Loctite, much less on every screw.
Unless you mean Loctite specifically, rather than some form of thread locking compound, you've missed more than a few threads where folks have mentioned it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks, Paul. It was never on my radar until now.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Sorry -- duplicate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

flash900 wrote:Thanks, Paul. It's never been on my radar until now when I noticed blade play in several Delicas.
I think like mentioned, the screws likely come with dry compound on them which doesn't seal as well as the wet stuff. Also you can never be sure if blade play is a product of loosening tolerances or the pivot screw backing out, since pinned pivots become loose over time too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I recently got a clip sent to me from golden , in with the clip was a tube of loctite so I'd guess so .
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

This company supplies some of Spyderco's screws:

http://www.nylok.com
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.