Never thought I'd say this, but a DULL NIB Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I envy you Chuck. That edge looks gorgeous.
Thanks KS but it's not nearly as good as some others here can get them.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I always sharpen. mine out of the box because too many of them have chipped on me or have had uneven grinds or haven't been sharp eniugh or haven't held their edge. I've grown to distrust machine ground edges on mass produced knives. Besides, I always end up reprofiling my knives anyway, so I might as well do it right away.

Gordon
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

I bought a para 2 new from GP and it was disappointing how dull the blade was/is. I couldn't even cut paper with it maybe I should send it back.
Andy Blackwell

Post by Andy Blackwell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hello! If as you say the second thing you do is lock up your knives after looking at them, then how sharp they are won't really matter, does it? I usually don't sharpen knives that I don't use.

I do put my own edges on knives before I take them with me to use. A factory edge pretty much doesn't matter to me besides I've found factory edges to be chippy anyway. Here's the edge I put on my M390 Millie.

Call me a noob, but how on earth do you do that? That edge is phenomenal.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Andy Blackwell wrote:Call me a noob, but how on earth do you do that? That edge is phenomenal.
This edge is mirror polished - I do not see anything special about that. Chromium Oxide compound on leather will do this in 20-30
passes after EF DMT, several days of cycling is not really needed for this. Polish itself does not indicate sharpness - if it whittle
hair - then it will be clear if it is good or not, because in many cases edge got rounded during polishing process.

[video=youtube;I_k5qXHxb0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_k5qXHx ... w&index=62[/video]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Andy Blackwell wrote:Call me a noob, but how on earth do you do that? That edge is phenomenal.
Thanks but I cheated with an edge pro. Some dudes do it freehand(which I can't do to save my life). :)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

zhyla wrote:I haven't been impressed with the factory edge on any plain edged Spydies. It is a usable edge, it will cut things, but you can do a lot better yourself. I spent a little time putting a real edge on my brother-in-law's Ambitious today, it looks like that Military now and I am missing quite a bit of hair on my left arm.
I understand your point but from a newbies perspective , its a learning curve .
The only knives I've had that come as sharp factory are Esee which are even more expensive here.
All my tenacious have come sharp enough to pop hair .
PGeo00

Post by PGeo00 »

I've had a couple of Kiwi's that would not cut anything. Edge Pro took care of it.
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

2 words= Paper Wheels
DavidReid

Post by DavidReid »

mule skinner wrote:2 words= Paper Wheels
I'm a weird one. I sharpen freehand, using water stones. I always achieve a mirror edge, that can wittle hair. I tried paper wheels once, I've never had so many recurve kitchen knives. For some reason, sharpening on something round is alien to me.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

mule skinner wrote:2 words= Paper Wheels
four words = you have burnt edges
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cliff Stamp wrote:four words = you have burnt edges
Like.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »