Really OFF topic...cooking question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

Really OFF topic...cooking question

Post by tonydahose »

I make a dish that everyone seems to like, at the firehouse and at home. The question i have is i want to make a sauce for it and I am trying to figure out how to go about it. Here is the dish, off the top of my head, I never wrote the recipe down. I buy some foccacia bread. Slice it in half so there are 2 discs, top and bottom. I toast the bottom for a bit to give it a bit of crunch, then melt some 5 italian cheese on it. I fry up some chicken breast bite size pieces in olive oil, green onions,salt, pepper, and alot of basil and parsley. Once it is cooked i put the chicken on the bottom disc, add more of the cheese along with parmesean and put it in the oven till the cheese melts, then add the top on to warm it up and you have a giant sandwich. I just think it needs something to drizzle over or dip into. There are juices left over in the pan from the chicken. I am thinking i can add some chicken stock or white wine or both? maybe some butter and lemon for acidity? i can always add some corn starch to thicken it up. So come on chefs and food network groupies...any ideas?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Mmmmm. That sounds delish, Tony.

My first reaction would be to deglaze the pan with some white wine and scrape up all those tasty brown bits. Then I would hit it with a splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice to brighten it up. Thicken to your desired consistency.

Another option would be to make something more like a tapenade sauce - put some chopped olives, capers, and sun-dried tomatoes into the cooking juice and cook down. Hit it with a little olive oil, balsamic, spices of your choice and thicken to your desired consistency.

TedP
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Make a clam or mussel chowder dip, and you are ready for SNACKTIME!!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Yes, Tony, that does sound like a winner. Same "formula" would work well with ham & Swiss!
phillipsted wrote:My first reaction would be to deglaze the pan with some white wine and scrape up all those tasty brown bits. Then I would hit it with a splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice to brighten it up. Thicken to your desired consistency.

Another option would be to make something more like a tapenade sauce - put some chopped olives, capers, and sun-dried tomatoes into the cooking juice and cook down. Hit it with a little olive oil, balsamic, spices of your choice and thicken to your desired consistency.
I like the way you're thinking here, Ted. Very nice, either way.

Ken
玉鋼
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Or go a totally different direction, we make a grilled chicken with butter/basil/garlic marinade/topping. It is a little bland on it's own, but we dip it in a mix of Real Mayo, Grey Poupon, Garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce, more Worcestershire gives it more bite. I have been known to mix up a batch of the sauce and use it on everything from a ham sandwich to hot dogs.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
alerin

Post by alerin »

I'm thinking sun dried tomatoe, roasted garlic and basil aioli sounds good, sandwich sounds great though.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I made it tonite. My family is a bunch of wusses when it comes to spicy so i went with the chicken broth/butter/lemon combo. It tasted alot like a dish that we have at one of our local restaurants. I think i am going to try and add some capers next time. Thanks for all the advice guys. i should have taken a picture but its too late now, they are all gone :D .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Hay tonydahose,I don`t believe that I could improve on that,it sounds real tasty,I may have to try this myself,Tonight. :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd go balsamic with a touch of olive oil and maybe a little honey to sweeten a tad, reduce it on the stove a bit to thicken.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal