Why no updates to....these....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBar666

Why no updates to....these....

Post by KBar666 »

Why no Updates to the Military Model and the Civilian?

Where you can swap the clip? I mean its no deal breaker but it'd be nice.

Also with that perhaps a waved Civilian?*** (Than again I admit that one might be redundant since the Matriach 2 now has the wave and is pretty close. But I still like the larger blade.)***
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I think that the civilian is a true invention in these troubled times that for which Spyderco needs more credit for. Given its purpose, an Emerson opener would be useful. I need to get one soon. But my favorite supplier does not sell those.

Millie 2 is due to come out soon. Do a search for past threads on that.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Most of the updates have been minor, but the Military has been updated a number of times over the years. If I had to guess, I'd say the main reason they've stuck with RHTD carry only is that adding TU carry would mean making the liner bigger, or adding another partial one, to provide a mounting point for it. That would benefit a few, but add weight for everyone. Or, they may genuinely feel TD is the only safe option for that particular knife. Harder to say about the Civilian, but it probably meets the needs of its original market and it's only recently Spyderco has been marketing it and the Matriarch to the general public.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say everything Paul said is spot on, with the addition of the Civilian being a very very small niche market knife, and the Military 2 is in some state of development so why do a major modification to an old design? The changes that would need to be made to the Military are enough to warrant a completely new model, just like the Paramilitary got when the Para 2 came out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

To the OP: the Civilian does have the option of tip-up or tip-down carry, right handed only. So it actually has been updated as the original versions where tip-down only.
The military is the one i wish they would update like the civilian and add tip-up carry. It is the primary reason why i have never ordered one.

JD
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Thanks, did not know there was a military 2 in development.

As for the Civi being alble to swap tip up/tip down. Well than thats awsome. My bad on that one.

Still a waved version would be nice, but don't see it happening as they already have a waved matriarch 2. But if they did I'd buy it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Necessity is the mother of invention. The Mili2 as mentioned I recall is in the works. With the heavy emphasis on the Matriarch2 I wouldn't expect much to come of the Civilian but welcome the surprising Spydie crew ;) .
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

x2 waiting for an updated military before I place an order.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Spyderco are operating pretty full on right now with the back log of new knives and the para 2 situation but if it became so big they didn't have these issues it wouldn't be the spyderco we know.
Here in the uk we haven't had any Ti fluted military yet and that was in the 2012 catalogue so its just supply and demand I'm happy to wait.
Although I waited on a blue tenacious and it got disco,d before it got here the only tenacious I don't have so you guys ease up eh ;) .
Save some for us Englishman .
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

An ambi variant of the Civillian would be nice, but I am pleased with the updated Matriarch2 that my need/want for the Civillian is reduced. Still an H-1 variant that is southpaw friendly would be sweet.
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
Let Us Slay !

Post by Let Us Slay ! »

I hope the military 2 comes in a left hand variant or at least an option for left handed carry.