New to spyderco, need some help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianD

New to spyderco, need some help

Post by BrianD »

Hey all, as the title says I'm new to Spyderco. My first spyderco was a delica 4 three weeks ago and since then have purchased two dfly's the g10 and frn vg-10 version. I'm getting the itch to buy more more more, already have a spyderedge dfly salt in my cart alongside a sharpmaker and I'm looking for one more knife for this round of ordering.

I really love the dfly do you guys have any suggestions for something a little bigger than the dfly? I've been eyeing the caly3 as it has many of the features of the dfly. I was unsure how I would like the CF handle, is it slick or grippy like g10? Then I saw a sprint caly3 with super blue steel. I've done some research on this steel and a lot of people like it for the edge it takes and holds. But is susceptible to rust and pitting without proper care. Do you guys have any experience with this steel or the caly3 CF? I like to use my knives, but I also don't neglect my knives. Any info or experience or photos would be much appreciated!

I think it's official that I have been "bitten"! Thanks again in advance for any help!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hi Brian, welcome to the forums.

The Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 are beautiful knives. The CF isn't as slick as you'd think, it feels a lot like a polished G-10 (smoother than your G-10 dragonfly).

I like the ergonomics of the D'fly better than the Caly line, but if you like one you will like the other.

If you go the Super Blue route you will probably want to purchase Tuff Cloth and wipe the blade down once a week or so, avoiding use on food. That or you can force a premature patina on the blade and that'll keep it safe.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Hello Brian,
Welcome to Spyderco addiction.
Caly3 is the great knife and fortunately more than one flavor is available. CF is not grippy, but the handle has great ergos, so in my opinion not everybody really need an extra grip. Many people absolutely love SB. Will it rust or develop patina depend on the environment. There is one more Caly3: VG10/G10 variant. It was discontinued couple years ago, still possible to find on secondary market: e-bay, various forums classified. Or if you do not have 3" blade length restriction, you can go straight to caly3.5. I carried both Caly3 and Caly3.5 G10/VG10. Both are great knives. A little different and I love both.
Great thinking on getting sharpmaker
Good luck.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
c11642

Post by c11642 »

W :) elcome to the Spyderco sickness lol! I buy and use several high end knives but always come back to the Delica. Its very hard to beat
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

Yeah, you're "bitten" it's only going to get worse, but it's not that bad once you accept it. Along with becoming a knife steel snob. As a fellow newcomer, welcome to the forum. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here, along with group therapy in the addiction to Spyderco knives. As far as knife recommendations to fit what you are looking for, I enjoy the Native series or the Salt knives (H-1 is a really nifty steel!). I have no experience with any of the Caly knives so I can't really say much about them but I am interested in them as well.
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Hitachi Aogami - blue label steel is one of two major steels (other one Shirogami - white label steel)
of choice for top custom knives in Japan. In US everybody came up with different names - now it is
super blue somehow, but it is just because Hitach pack it in blue paper. Japanese lately tend to
laminate it with stainless steel to make it less vulnerable, I wish Spyderco learn how to do that.

In general this is high carbon steel with W added to make it easyer to HT - Shirogami HT require
exceptional skills from craftsmen it has quite thin temperature window not to overheat and they measure
temperature by color of heated steel, tungsten widen this window and add a little edge holding over
Shirogami if HT done properly.

As high carbon steel it has better edge holding and much cheaper then top stainless steels with exotic
composition and super modern production process. Unfortunately this does not make knife any cheaper
but it will hold edge well.

High carbon steel also means not just corrosive but high corrosive steel.

Non stainless steel is more vulnerable on pocket knives, because spine even with closed blade always
exposed. Especially for touch and in many case it corrode even without use or even with being taken
care after use - just by holding closed or in the pocket. For this reason I made little pouch to carry non
stainless pocket knives.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Spyder bite is a common phenomenon , once bitten an overwhelming urge to be bitten as often as possible follows.
Rationale and common sense slowly become depleted , until your only thoughts are the next bite.
Get bitten by the larger genus eg vallotton and symptoms increase ten fold.
Welcome to the state of spyderco neurosis :) .
Anybody think spyderco should have a official song perhaps lullaby by the cure ;) .
PGeo00

Post by PGeo00 »

Welcome. Super Blue is awesome, but if you are worried about patina, it's really not for you. I think patina adds a lot of character, especially with the gray scales.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Welcome!
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BrianD wrote:Hey all, as the title says I'm new to Spyderco. My first spyderco was a delica 4 three weeks ago and since then have purchased two dfly's the g10 and frn vg-10 version. I'm getting the itch to buy more more more, already have a spyderedge dfly salt in my cart alongside a sharpmaker and I'm looking for one more knife for this round of ordering.

I really love the dfly do you guys have any suggestions for something a little bigger than the dfly? I've been eyeing the caly3 as it has many of the features of the dfly. I was unsure how I would like the CF handle, is it slick or grippy like g10? Then I saw a sprint caly3 with super blue steel. I've done some research on this steel and a lot of people like it for the edge it takes and holds. But is susceptible to rust and pitting without proper care. Do you guys have any experience with this steel or the caly3 CF? I like to use my knives, but I also don't neglect my knives. Any info or experience or photos would be much appreciated!

I think it's official that I have been "bitten"! Thanks again in advance for any help!
Welcome. If you want help seek therapy. After about 2 minutes of that, just get another knife. :) I've never had a Caly but everyone who has seems to love them. My personal favorite model is Sage. These are the same model shape with different locks and handle materials. I have had a Sage1 and now the Sage4 is always with me. There is also the 2 and 3. They fit my hand VERY well. The Sage4 is a Very sturdy knife. My favorites from my experience are in my signature. They fill a different size need that works for me. Depending on what you like and/or need you will probably go through several before you find your favorite "set". That's what happened to me anyway. It's fun and not over yet. :) For smaller knives IMO you can't beat the Chaparral series. The first and second are out and the third one looks like a winner. I only have the first one and love it. So, if you haven't yet, check out the Chaparral and Sage knives.

Welcome again and good shopping.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Any of the sage series (my fav is sage 2) , techno, amd caly 3 are all solid EDC knives that are an upgrade from the delica. Have you thought about a bigger spydie?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brian,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the helpful replies! In the countless hours I've spent researching spydies on this forum there has been one constant...the people have always been helpful, informative and pleasant. I beileve it was spyderbro who gave away a Delica4 zdp-189 out of the kindness of his heart. What more do I have to say. Glad I can call myself part of the spyderco family!

I looked up forced patina on the caly3 and it looks very unique! How would you safely force a patina? Some say mustard or something acidic? In my search i stumbled upon some rumors of a bunch of SB sprints coming out soon, ie. delica4/endura grey frn, ladybug, stretch and maybe even a dragonfly (bestow my heart). Have i already missed the boat on pre-order for these sprints? If im not too late how would i go about pre ordering or putting my e-mail on a list to be informed when they are in stock? Also in regards to the delica i read somewhere that it has laminated SB so it wont take a patina, any truth to this?

All the knives suggested look like great knives. There are just too many to choose from! I think for now it will be the caly3 CF, it was the knife that drew me to spyderco so i should give it a shot. I'll save the SB for something a little less expensive to test it out, that is if i can get my hands on one before they are all gone :p

Wish I had the funds to put one of everything in the cart and just get it over with! Thanks again for the replies!
araneae

Post by araneae »

BrianD wrote:
...Have i already missed the boat on pre-order for these sprints? If im not too late how would i go about pre ordering or putting my e-mail on a list to be informed when they are in stock?
Most reputable dealers take pre-orders or have wait lists. Just get in touch with one. The SB sprints are pretty newly announced so you should be able to get them.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal