You forced me into buying a Southard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

You forced me into buying a Southard

Post by gull wing »

.....and you will have to pay for it, by reading all the hype I'm going put out about it when it comes in.(I thought today??)
I put it off for a while, resisting as it turns out, was futile. There were lots of reviews and u tube vid's that convinced me I couldn't do without it.
It's a uniquely designed knife for sure, Brad is an artist. The reviews said the F&F is on par with the company that has CRK in it, add the super Carpenter steel (204P), a lower price, how can I resist.

This knife has a lot of features I like, *Ti framelock, **stonewash, flipper, ***half G10 scales.

Ok that's enough! :D

*- but I don't like all metal scales.
**- Sal is finally agreeing to go stonewash. :cool:
***- sold my three all metal CRK's, long ago, still have my Sage 2.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I didn't. I don't like it. :eek:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

What were your concerns?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Mostly the long thick blade.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I didn't. I don't like it. :eek:
Haha, well said. I'm with you too.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Well - I got one and really like it, can't say I love it - but it is nice.
Maybe because I felt I had to get STR to make me a clip(big improvement) and the brown G10 doesn't do it for me.
But nice F&F - almost too tight - still breaking in. And the blade is a little thick for my EDC needs.

But for the monies - no way you can beat it(even with having to buy a new clip)
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

I have bought, sold, traded, used, broken, and lost Spyderco knives since 1993, and reguardless of all the other makes of knives I own, Spydies are still my Favorite brand.
That said, Spyderco can make some of the FUGLIEST knives I have ever seen :eek: ! I won't name any of the models, cause I'm not trying to flame anyone. :p
I still can't believe people actually spend real $$ on some of them. :D
BUT, the Southard ain't one of them. ;)
To each his own. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Dan.
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

SteelyDan wrote: To each his own. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Exactly... the Eiffel tower used to be considered a huge eye sore.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

It's my favorite knife by far and I have to say it might be the last knife I buy for a very long time... It's that good.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jet B wrote:It's my favorite knife by far and I have to say it might be the last knife I buy for a very long time... It's that good.
I say this about EVERY new model I buy.
~David
Stony

Post by Stony »

I'll add that I loved the 2 I lost!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I say this about EVERY new model I buy.
LOL. Right on. I think we've all uttered these words a time or two (...or seventeen :o ). Now the Techno, well, I must say that little number seems to have taken up a permanent residence in my front right pocket. It is definitely in my top 10 favorite Spydercos of all time.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

I just ordered a Southard on thursday and I can't wait!!!!!Love the look of it!
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Evil D wrote:I say this about EVERY new model I buy.
I know what you mean... I used to say the same thing.

However, since buying the Southard I haven't even felt the urge to even look at other knives and shop around. Either something changed in me and the new knife obsession is fading, or I'm just so happy with this thing that It jolted me out of the urge to keep looking and searching for the "perfect knife". For the first time, I have even been willing to give away or sell off some of my other knives for guns or new ski equipment. Go figure.

Maybe it's just me though. It's a great all around folder and I'm extremely pleased with the design and materials. The 204P steel is holding a fantastic edge.

This knife is with me almost everywhere I go.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't mind the frame lock or the flipper, I'm just not crazy about the style/looks of it. I can't really explain what it is, it's just not for me. I'm sure it's an excellent knife, and if I handled it I may change my tune (it's happened that way several times in the past).
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this beholder just doesn't see the beauty in that knife. Sorry.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I for one like the design. It kind of grew on me.

There are knives that don't appeal to me either. Good thing Spyderco has a wide variety.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

PMBohol wrote:I for one like the design. It kind of grew on me.

There are knives that don't appeal to me either. Good thing Spyderco has a wide variety.
Yup!
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have been drawn to Brads designs since i first stumbled across them, not too long ago... I don't currently own any custom knives, but if his were more readily available, I would have one of his... something about the subdued curves really draws my attention. When it was revealed that Spyderco would release a production version, I finally had my chance to get one, and it fits my hand very well. (XL Mechanix wear gloves fit me perfectly) This version will certainly tide me over a bit longer, til the opportunity arises to order from Brad, again.

I can't really comment on the blade thickness, for those of you that are apprehensive about it, as my day to day use is not that comprehensive... but i can say, that i havent noticed it being any kind of hindrance to me...
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I got mine a week ago and I've been playing with it for a just a bit.

First impression, F&F is superb; the guys in Taiwan did it again. Every edge is rounded perfectly and polished, every surface fit together seamlessly. Pivot action is smooth as if it came already broken in. There's no hint of grittiness anywhere.

It'll take a little bit of getting used to. I generally don't like framelocks because of the extra care you need, not to put pressure on the lock bar when opening it. The good news for me is that the flipper opening is pretty easy to use.

Trying to open it with the thumbhole is proving to be harder. I can flick it just fine but a slow deliberate opening is not happening for me. I wish the Spydiehole's edge has a little more bite to it, it seems overly rounded for good traction. I noticed that the last couple of knives from Taiwan have thumb grooves on top. Do they work for anyone? All I feel is a bunch of smooth bumps for my thumb to slide on. No real grip at all. Compare that to the Manix 2, tons of grip there. I just don't see the point.

Overall, a 9/10 first impression for me.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: