The gift of a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kev83

The gift of a knife

Post by Kev83 »

Well I'm sure as we go on in our collecting lifestyles we are going to run into someone who is also getting into the same thing and really wants to get started with their own acquisitions. My question to you is what was the first gift of a knife that you gave to someone else? That happened to me tonight when I gave my father in law his first decent pocket knife. I gave him a spyderco tenacious with black blade as per his several hints he supplied me with for his birthday. The look on his face and his reaction was worth it. It brought a definite smile to my face and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a pre disposition to spyderco but love all knives and brands. So please share your stories I'd love to hear!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

[attach]21582[/attach]
I saw my father carry one of these for almost 10 years as a young man. I decided to purchase him another (USA made) Schrade Old Timer this past christmas. He was holding back tears and it wouldn't have meant that much to anyone else. The photo is mine and I love the carbon steel and the patina. Giving the gift of sharp is a unique feeling. I also recently gifted my brother with an H1 Dragonfly and he is in love with it. He carries it everyday and throws it on a lanyard around his neck when he goes fishing.
Attachments
IMG_2963.jpg
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I gifted my Mom a purple Delica. She was one of the few people, much to my surprise, that never joked about or thought my interest in knives was weird. When I gave it to her on her birthday, she really was happy although she had no idea what I was going to get her. She still tells me when she finds the opportunity to use it and the compliments she receives on it from her friends.

I tried to repeat this success with my twin brother but it didn't seem to work. He is just so forgetful that he loses track of his Tenacious and even managed to lose one of the screws for the pocket clip. Maybe time will change his attitude. :rolleyes:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The first was a SAK to my best friend. He still has it which is good. The second was a CS Rajah III to a chap named Raja. He loved it. The third was a Spyderco Manix 2 XL last Christmas to a friend from the Netherlands. I think he likes it. Not sure though.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I gave a buddy of mine a cheap frost pocket knife (before I knew much about nice knives), later a leatherman juice and a SAK sportsman. I received my first pocket knife (also a Victorinox Sportsman) when I was 6, and still feel it's a really nice gift/first knife for people.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The first knife, which I gifted was Schrade Old Timer. I gifted to my son, when he was a cub scout. That was at least 15 yeas ago. Unfortunately he lost the knife, like many other knives, which I gave him late :rolleyes: . He likes knives, but somehow keep loosing them and currently doesn't have any. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

I gave a Spyderco Salt to my brother in law. He works in water treatment and I thought the rust free H1 would be good. He also has a habit of dropping knives in the woods, so bright yellow was a plus as well. It is not a knife he would have gotten on his own.... He tends to buy more thow away cheap knives instead.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My first knife gift was to my girlfriend: a blue G10 Tenacious. Second was to my brother in law: a lefty Millie.
MAM

Post by MAM »

I just got me a digicam black blade military and really liked the ergos. Its a great slicer. And the size is perfect for me. So i gave my para 2 to my bro since i felt the millie platform better suits my needs. He cant stop carrying that para, sais its the smoothest knife hes ever used. Of course he was used to cheap gas station quality knives.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I can't remember what my 1st gifted knife was. I do know that I have given away about 6 knives within the past year. The latest was a combo Delica to my best friend for his birthday. Previously to that was a Enuff Clip Point to my father, which I really wanted to keep for myself!
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

thog94 wrote:I can't remember what my 1st gifted knife was. I do know that I have given away about 6 knives within the past year. The latest was a combo Delica to my best friend for his birthday. Previously to that was a Enuff Clip Point to my father, which I really wanted to keep for myself!
That's the problem with gifting.. It feels great to give but in your mind you're so torn because you're like **** this would go great in my collection! Haha