New Yojimbo 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zeabed

New Yojimbo 2

Post by Zeabed »

I recently purchased online a new Yojimbo 2 C85GP2. It looks and works great, except for some very noticeable grind marks, a row of parallel lines radiating down from the wharncliffe hump on the spine.

Of course I contacted Spyderco consumer service and received a prompt reply:

"It’s hard to determine from the picture but it looks to be normal finishing lines, but it is hard to determine from a picture. The best thing to do would be to send it in for warranty evaluation so we can take a closer look and make a better determination."

So, I'll be sending it in to see what happens.

Has anyone else here experienced something similar with their Y2?
Attachments
Yojimbo 2 grind flaw_star3.jpg
Yojimbo 2 grind flaw_star_small1.jpg
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

They will send you back your knife in the same condition. It's perfectly normal, s30v shows grind lines a bot more than other steels. I wouldn't worry about it.
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks like when they brushed the spine they got a little out of pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

It does look rough. I heard someone else mention they had the same issue and weren't to happy about it.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Spyder-fan wrote:It does look rough. I heard someone else mention they had the same issue and weren't to happy about it.
Maybe he send it back to the seller, who then resold it to me? :eek: Either that, or its a more generalized condition with this steel. Sure doesn't look normal to me though. I have over twenty other spydies, most of them in the same steel, and none of them have grind marks like that. Maybe they sprinted so fast with this batch that they tripped. Well, as I wrote before, we'll see. This will be a learning experience that may do me no end of good.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Does it still cut? Unless it's going to be a collectible safe queen, that's all that matters. If you use it then it will get scratches, why should the finish matter? If you want mirror finished fancy blades then Spyderco is not for you. If it were mine I wouldn't think twice about it. As a matter of fact looking at mine, it is the same and I don't care.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

S30v does show marks, but not that bad. I have a feeling a batch of them are going to have this issue.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

C'mon people... its just a knife... those grind marks does not make it less functional...
use it & don't forget about it is a cool knife - tool for cutting :)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tap78 wrote:C'mon people... its just a knife... those grind marks does not make it less functional...
use it & don't forget about it is a cool knife - tool for cutting :)

While I do agree with this mentality, I expect a new knife to look like a new knife. I prefer to put the scratches on it myself, not have it come that way out of the box. Would you think the same about a car? It's just a tool for transportation but would you expect to buy a new car covered in scratches already, and people tell you to just drive it and enjoy it? ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd send it in if it bothered me. Based on the pics it does look a bit more scuffed so an exchange might be in order.

You sound like a reasonable person. When someone approaches the company in a mature fashion things usually are processed painlessly. If they send the knife back with a note saying its normal at least you know it's not just yours.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I agree with Blake. Send it to Golden. I sent couple knives to Spyderco's W&R department. They are very friendly and reasonable.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SgtSmoke

Post by SgtSmoke »

Mine was perfect out of the box. My buddy got one with scratches. I have put some scratches on mine since I got it. If the edge is good I wouldn't worry about it.
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Despite what a few say here, it is your money at the end of the day.

If it were me, I would get my money back, your money is better spent on items that make you happy. Either that or an exchange for a normal Y2.

All the best man.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Sithus1966 wrote:Does it still cut? Unless it's going to be a collectible safe queen, that's all that matters. If you use it then it will get scratches, why should the finish matter? If you want mirror finished fancy blades then Spyderco is not for you. If it were mine I wouldn't think twice about it. As a matter of fact looking at mine, it is the same and I don't care.
Well, I certainly see your point. My point would be that if I'm going to spend over $100 for a knife, whatever its intended use, I expect its quality out of the box to the same specifications as every other knife I've received from Spyderco, even less expensive ones that come without those grind marks that suggest badly finished polishing. Different strokes...
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Send it back to the vendor. That is what i would do.

JD
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure they would adore the chance to either make it right or properly explain their stance (if "normal").

It's very common for people (not you) to come screaming and flailing, Spydie-crew begs the poster to let them make it right, the knife never gets sent in. In that case all that happens is a bunch of people get cranky, misconceptions are formed, bad news spreads, etc.

A perceived problem only stops becoming one once fixed or educated. I can tell you to "get over it!" but I doubt that is going to bring about any epiphanies.

"O...M....G...he is right! I never realized that it's just a tool."
xceptnl

Fix or Forget

Post by xceptnl »

I would agree with the suggestions above about sending it to Golden. If you are feeling a little more adventurous, break out the sandpaper (probably Norton 800 grit) and some soapy water and make it even yourself. This fix will cost you less than the shipping to Golden and your results should be done before you could drive to the post office to drop off your package to Colorado. I have been collecting lots of older spydies lately and have become practiced at removing scratches from the previous owners. It does bring a certain satisfaction!
Before
[ATTACH]21578[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21579[/ATTACH]
After
[ATTACH]21580[/ATTACH][ATTACH]21581[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2013-02-05_22-21-55_116.jpg
2013-02-05_22-21-45_698.jpg
2013-02-05_20-17-44_69.jpg
2013-02-05_20-17-24_839.jpg
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Blerv wrote:I'm sure they would adore the chance to either make it right or properly explain their stance (if "normal").

It's very common for people (not you) to come screaming and flailing, Spydie-crew begs the poster to let them make it right, the knife never gets sent in. In that case all that happens is a bunch of people get cranky, misconceptions are formed, bad news spreads, etc.

A perceived problem only stops becoming one once fixed or educated. I can tell you to "get over it!" but I doubt that is going to bring about any epiphanies.

"O...M....G...he is right! I never realized that it's just a tool."
I just posted here to find out if this was a shared experience with others who bought this knife. I like the Y2 and originally wanted to buy a second one, so that info would have been useful to me. As I wrote before, I received a prompt reply from Spyderco and will follow their suggestion to send the knife back for them to look. I believe that is reasonable and appropriate. At least it used to be when I was younger. But as Don Ameche said in Things Change, things change. Thank you for all your helpful posts to this thread. They are much appreciated.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

My M390 Millie had one or two such very distinct grind marks and it was purchased at SFO.

Since getting it, my blade now has several distinct scratch marks from the SM. I just adore it more now
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Everyone has a different perspective on what "new" condition should be these days. I am a bit older so my idea of new is something with no noticeable flaws or blemishes and it works perfectly. Then again, I used to buy stuff in bricks and mortar stores where you could look over items before purchasing. Today with online shopping, the term "new" takes on a different meaning and the younger crowd has adapted to it.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air