Strong outdoor folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Manix 2 XL ? Its a stout and strong knife. Not that expensive either. The Tuff would be my first choice, second will be the Manix 2 XL and thirdly, the Military.

Look forward to hearing what you bought finally.......
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I use either an Endura or Griptilian and both have handled all my tough jobs without difficulty. You can overspend if you want, but it's not necessary. Heck, even a Tenacious would make a reliable outdoor companion.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Manix2 is a stout knife and the price is decent compared to the Gayle
Bradley or even the Military which is what I use for outside rought work.
I don't have the Native 5, but it looks strong and everyone that has one
speaks highly of it.
The ParaMilitary 2 is one of the best overall knives out there to me, but
for a hard working knife the Manix 2 might be a better choice. I would
however agree with rg02 on the Military being a great choice, but it is
a bit higher priced.

Good luck. They are all great knives.
araneae

Post by araneae »

A Pac Salt would be a great choice for outdoor use. The H1 blades will handle neglect and come out ready for duty every time. Its lightweight is not representative of its strength. Those frn handles are tough. If you want a knife that feels heftier, the Super Leaf fits the bill, as would a Manix. There are some decent deals on the SL now as it has been discontinued.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
tvhaugen

Post by tvhaugen »

I would recommend the Native 5 or Paramilitary 2.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

scoprion wrote:What are your opinions on the Manix 2, Native 5 and paramilitary 2
Sorry, I didn't see this question while focusing on the Salt recommendation. :(

I don't have a Native5 but hear good things. The M2 and P2 are great and tough knives. If given the choice I would probably pick up a Superleaf as some have suggested. Many dealers are selling it discontinued for $95.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

scoprion wrote:I like the concept of that but it looks a bit weak, I have a UKPK and to be honest it doesn't inspire confidence, I have no problem with popper maintenance so id prefer to have steel liners.
Don't be deceived by the construction of the linerless Salt knives. They are almost completely bomb-proof and tough as any knife out there. I have a Salt1/Pacific pair I use as my main fishing knives - they have seen long dunks in salt water, storage in the tacklebox, clipping to the belt during rough boat rides, immersion in fish guts, the occasional batoning for beach firewood, and generally rough treatment. When I get home, I just disassemble them, wash out the sand and gunk, dry them and reassemble. They are good to go - and aside from a few scratches on the blades, they look almost like new.

Highly recommended.

TedP
messer454

Post by messer454 »

phillipsted wrote:Don't be deceived by the construction of the linerless Salt knives. They are almost completely bomb-proof and tough as any knife out there. I have a Salt1/Pacific pair I use as my main fishing knives - they have seen long dunks in salt water, storage in the tacklebox, clipping to the belt during rough boat rides, immersion in fish guts, the occasional batoning for beach firewood, and generally rough treatment. When I get home, I just disassemble them, wash out the sand and gunk, dry them and reassemble. They are good to go - and aside from a few scratches on the blades, they look almost like new.

Highly recommended.

TedP
I concur. I carried a Pacific Salt the last 2 years to the beach in my swim trunks and after a day of being in the ocean, all i did was hose out the sand at the end of the day. I probably would not have had to do that but I like to take care of my stuff. That being said if you are not around salt water the Endura is just as durable around freshwater as I have never had one of them rust either. Another good thing about the Salt is I doubt anyone could call it a flick knife if that is important in your country. I don't think the blade is heavy enough on a new one to flick it open under any circumstance.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Hi to scoprion from scorpion! Nice username!
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

If money wasn't an option something like a Hinderer XM-18 would be a good choice. From what I've seen based on reviews the PM2 should serve you well.