Sal!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ar33c9

Sal!!!

Post by ar33c9 »

SAL,
Love the Cat Carbon Fiber but can't get a hold of one. Would you consider making the Cat with Japanese Nishijin glass fiber or CF again? I promise to buy one. I have tried many knife brands but all lead back to yours.
Adam
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Once again...

ar33c9

Post by ar33c9 »

Realize I forgot to say Please... Please?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

If I were you, I'd haunt ebay, bladeforums, CPF, knife-bst, and edc forums for a couple of days. The cat would probably show up there.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
ar33c9

Post by ar33c9 »

Minibear453 wrote:If I were you, I'd haunt ebay, bladeforums, CPF, knife-bst, and edc forums for a couple of days. The cat would probably show up there.
Been Hunting those first two every day, will check the others. What is CPF? Thanks!
Invective

Post by Invective »

ar33c9 wrote:Been Hunting those first two every day, will check the others. What is CPF? Thanks!
CPF = candlepowerforums I believe.
ar33c9

Post by ar33c9 »

Invective wrote:CPF = candlepowerforums I believe.
thanks!
Holland

Post by Holland »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Once again...

I almost spat water all over my computer hahahahaha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Is the cat out of the bag yet.

Nice visualization chuck.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Holland wrote:I almost spat water all over my computer hahahahaha
Glad you like it. :D
KardinalSyn wrote:Is the cat out of the bag yet.

Nice visualization chuck.
I can't take the credit KS. I just found that on the 'net. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not Sal, but I'm guessing Nishijin glass would be unlikely on a non-Japanese model. A new CF version would be possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Watching eBay and the forums that allow selling and trading for a CF Cat would be one option, finding someone to replace the scales on a G-10 Cat with CF would be another.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ar33c9

Post by ar33c9 »

The Deacon wrote:I'm not Sal, but I'm guessing Nishijin glass would be unlikely on a non-Japanese model. A new CF version would be possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Watching eBay and the forums that allow selling and trading for a CF Cat would be one option, finding someone to replace the scales on a G-10 Cat with CF would be another.
Any idea what it would cost to have Cf put on a Cat?
v8r

Post by v8r »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Once again...

Bahahaha you are nuts bro!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

ar33c9 wrote:Any idea what it would cost to have Cf put on a Cat?
You could reach out to Cuscadi or Tuffthumbz to get pricing. I would imagine it would be well more than what the knife cost you, though.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

v8r wrote:Bahahaha you are nuts bro!
My mother already knew that when I was still at a very early age. :D
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

You could buy a G-10 Cat or a Chaparral. The CF Cat was discontinued due to QC issues (I believe) so it's unlikely they'll make it again. Or if they do it'll be at a different factory and sold for a higher price.
ar33c9

Post by ar33c9 »

What is a fair price to pay for Carbon Fiber Scales made and installed on a Cat? How about TI scales? I am shopping around now for a maker/installer and prices.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Which steel was on the CF cat again? Was that the one that was made then stopped after problems, then re releasing later a bit different? Man I'm getting too old to keep track of all these.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I still have one left in the box that I haven't given away and it says S30V on the blade :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Mastiff wrote:Which steel was on the CF cat again? Was that the one that was made then stopped after problems, then re releasing later a bit different? Man I'm getting too old to keep track of all these.

Joe
As NoFair said, S30V. The QC problems were related to overall fit and finish, which likely suffered due to keeping cost low while using top of the line materials. By releasing them again with cheaper materials (blade steel and handle material) while still at a similar price, they likely shifted material costs over to fit and finish costs. I believe the Cat and Chicago were made by a different Taiwanese manufacturer than the usual one. I've got a factory 2nd Chicago and it's pretty rough around the edges.

As for cost of having CF scales made, the OP is probably looking at $50-100. Even though material-wise it may not take a whole lot, it takes just about as much time to make custom scales for a small knife as it does a large one, so labor is a major factor. At least the Cat doesn't have nested liners or any complex machining needed, which could help keep the cost down a little bit.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com