Odd choil jimping on new Ti Millie (with pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLBourne

Post by JLBourne »

Bottom line is that my knife is at Golden for evaluation. If they respond (like one of you suggested) by saying that this very questionable choil jimping is "within specs," then I'll react accordingly. The more I think about it, I spent hundreds on this knife, so I should expect good craftsmanship in return. Yes, the knife is functional, but looks unprofessional. If I only wanted functional, I could buy a $60 cold steel knife. The Ti Millie is one of Spyderco's tier 1 blades. I have no doubts that Spyderco will make it right and either repair the jimping or ship a new knife.

Side note: Since posting this, I've received PMs from other recent Ti military owners with pictures indicating the same type of jimping flaws. I'll let you all know what happens, but I assume it will be anti-climactic and will be another example of good Spyderco customer service.
[HR][/HR]
In order of acquisition: C10SAF (Gen 1 Endura) circa 1994, Endura 4, G-10 Military 2005, Native (OIF markings) 2006, Resilience 2012, Manix 2 XL 2013, Ti Military 2013, Manix 2 2013, Yojimbo 2 2013, Paramilitary 2 S35VN (sprint run) 2013
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JLBourne wrote:Bottom line is that my knife is at Golden for evaluation. If they respond (like one of you suggested) by saying that this very questionable choil jimping is "within specs," then I'll react accordingly. The more I think about it, I spent hundreds on this knife, so I should expect good craftsmanship in return. Yes, the knife is functional, but looks unprofessional. If I only wanted functional, I could buy a $60 cold steel knife. The Ti Millie is one of Spyderco's tier 1 blades. I have no doubts that Spyderco will make it right and either repair the jimping or ship a new knife.

Side note: Since posting this, I've received PMs from other recent Ti military owners with pictures indicating the same type of jimping flaws. I'll let you all know what happens, but I assume it will be anti-climactic and will be another example of good Spyderco customer service.
Sure you can, but I guess most people like Ti Millies because 1) they are millies, 2) They are Ti handled, and 3) they have better steel than AUS-8(not that it's a bad steel).

Also, what part of "you can't expect to have it at this price point if you want that much attention to detail" can't you understand?
Dankerz

Post by Dankerz »

Love your books JL! My wife just mentioned last night that we need to pick up DBDA:Shattered Hourglass. I think I'll order it now. Keep it up!
jimmyboots

Post by jimmyboots »

I signed up here because I actually have a Ti Mili coming in this week. I can see how the uncentered blade would be a concern as that may have lasting implications on how the knife would wear over a long period of time, however the "reverse" jimping would not concern me.

I am curious how Spyderco will handle this as the irregular jimping might be within their own QC tolerances, and if this is a wide spread enough problem it might effect manufacturing costs in future runs.

I hope it works out for you.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

jimmyboots wrote:I signed up here because I actually have a Ti Mili coming in this week. I can see how the uncentered blade would be a concern as that may have lasting implications on how the knife would wear over a long period of time, however the "reverse" jimping would not concern me.
Welcome to the forum

Of centered blades is not a concern with the Military as you can adjust the pivot to center the blade.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jimmyboots wrote:I signed up here because I actually have a Ti Mili coming in this week. I can see how the uncentered blade would be a concern as that may have lasting implications on how the knife would wear over a long period of time, however the "reverse" jimping would not concern me.

I am curious how Spyderco will handle this as the irregular jimping might be within their own QC tolerances, and if this is a wide spread enough problem it might effect manufacturing costs in future runs.

I hope it works out for you.
Zenith wrote:Of centered blades is not a concern with the Military as you can adjust the pivot to center the blade.
Yup, centering a millie is pretty easy.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

The jimping looks fine to me, there is some slight slag on it from the laser cut, but I wouldn't send it in. The off center blade can be fixed easy enough. It is not even as off center as a Sebenza I used to have which cost double what that knife cost. Frankly I wouldn't annoy the Spyderco folks with a few non-issues which are entirely cosmetic. Knives are ment to be used anyway.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
JLBourne

Post by JLBourne »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Also, what part of "you can't expect to have it at this price point if you want that much attention to detail" can't you understand?
what part of "it's my money, my knife, and my choice to send back to Golden" can't you understand? The knife has a pretty high MSRP. I can, and do expect professional jimping. If you wish to overlook with your knives, feel free.
[HR][/HR]
In order of acquisition: C10SAF (Gen 1 Endura) circa 1994, Endura 4, G-10 Military 2005, Native (OIF markings) 2006, Resilience 2012, Manix 2 XL 2013, Ti Military 2013, Manix 2 2013, Yojimbo 2 2013, Paramilitary 2 S35VN (sprint run) 2013
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JLBourne wrote:what part of "it's my money, my knife, and my choice to send back to Golden" can't you understand? The knife has a pretty high MSRP. I can, and do expect professional jimping. If you wish to overlook with your knives, feel free.
Send it back by all means but demanding attention to detail that will increase price point for the rest of us(who are okay with the flawed jimping) is just entitlement issues. Needy baby, greedy baby. ;)

You can always demand satisfaction from Spyderco because they are pretty good at that. Sending the knife back is your choice but you seem to keep harping on the fact that you want a "more professional job" from them. A few people have already explained that keeping the price point where it is might result in a few less than perfect but entirely safe and functional knife but you refuse to accept that explanation.

Why not just accept that it is what it is but just state that you just feel entitled to a new knife because your jimping is less than perfect? That way you'd get no arguments.

Let's hope Spyderco gives you a new knife with perfect jimping so you can be happy but don't demand that they "do professional work" just because you had mommy issues. For a lot of us who use our knives, their work is pretty darn professional.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

With the Ti Millie costing as much as it does, I'd probably be disappointed with the drooping jimping as well. Would I send it in? I really couldn't say. Sal has said before that he is interested in seeing these sorts of things brought to their attention so that they can address the problem, if there is one. Sending it in gives Spyderco a chance to inspect it and see if there is something wrong that needs adjusting in the process, something difficult to do if all they see are pictures. Just my 2 cents.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JLBourne

Post by JLBourne »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Send it back by all means but demanding attention to detail that will increase price point for the rest of us(who are okay with the flawed jimping) is just entitlement issues. Needy baby, greedy baby. ;)

Let's hope Spyderco gives you a new knife with perfect jimping so you can be happy but don't demand that they "do professional work" just because you had mommy issues. For a lot of us who use our knives, their work is pretty darn professional.
This was extremely rude. There was no need to make yourself look like this. This so-called needy baby is a military guy with 19 years on active duty (and counting). I have never been "entitled" and have never been given even so much as a dime. I spent most of 2012 deployed overseas, missing the birth of my first born child. You should really take the time to know someone before bashing them.

Go ride a jeepney into a building.

Anyway, I'll let the rest of you know what Spyderco says.
[HR][/HR]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jabba359 wrote:With the Ti Millie costing as much as it does, I'd probably be disappointed with the drooping jimping as well. Would I send it in? I really couldn't say. Sal has said before that he is interested in seeing these sorts of things brought to their attention so that they can address the problem, if there is one. Sending it in gives Spyderco a chance to inspect it and see if there is something wrong that needs adjusting in the process, something difficult to do if all they see are pictures. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, but there's no pointing in demanding over and over again, that spyderco do "professional work".
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JLBourne wrote:This was extremely rude. There was no need to make yourself look like this. This so-called needy baby is a military guy with 19 years on active duty (and counting). I have never been "entitled" and have never been given even so much as a dime. I spent most of 2012 deployed overseas, missing the birth of my first born child. You should really take the time to know someone before bashing them.

Go ride a jeepney into a building.

Anyway, I'll let the rest of you know what Spyderco says.

The thing with the internet is, you are what you post. Your post was was petulant and whiny. I judged you accordingly. Since you don't seem to be apologetic about the tone of your post, I'm similarly not apologetic about mu judgement of you.
JLBourne

Post by JLBourne »

Spyderco returned my Ti Millie today. The knife was repaired; the cosmetically defective choil jimping corrected, and my $5.00 check returned (uncashed) with the blade. This was handled just as expected. Timely, and professional.
[HR][/HR]
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Good to hear that everything was taken care of.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air