Why Kershaw, why?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
D1omedes

Why Kershaw, why?

Post by D1omedes »

I really want to like Kershaw knives. Really, I do. But every time I see them announce new designs, I am disappointed. Most Kershaw knives are overbuilt IMO and don't over high performing steels that Spyderco has spoiled us with. When you combine heavy weights and poor pocket clips, there are just too many factors that make me refuse to spend money on their models.

For example, I was really planning on picking up a Kershaw Leek. I have never had a good wharnie. Also, I've wanted a flipper for some time and the Southard is way over my budget. Then I saw that it is AO (I've had a bad experience with a Tanto Blur), the handles are slick aluminum and a non-low riding pocket clip. I told myself that I can send the knife out for mod's and get an STR pocket clip. Then I estimated the price of that and I'm better off skipping the knife and getting a higher-end Spyderco.

Do any of you feel the same way about certain knives from other companies?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be honest, aside from Microtech's OTF autos, I haven't seen anything "pocket worthy" from anyone other that Spyderco for a long time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've owned two Leeks, sold both. Really love the design though, and if they would make one with VG10/S30V or something like that I would buy another one. I don't necessarily love the smooth handle but I don't hate it. I can't see myself needing tons of grip in a knife of this design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

David-
I think they do make an S30V model...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't love the smooth handle, but I love my CPM-D2 composite leek. Mattman is right, Kershaw made an S30V Leek with a G-10 handle.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I have an S30V leek, I love it, but it doesn't get much pocket time due to the tip being very fragile. I also have a Kershaw Field Hunter, which is my fixed blade of choice. Most of Kershaw's knives are very nice, IMO. I've used several, and while I don't love every single one, I think their all serviceable, certainly not BAD knives. Overall, I may prefer Spyderco, but I like Kershaw well enough to proudly support them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Huh. I had no idea. But then, I don't follow the brand very closely. The last one I had was a DLC version and I really liked it. In fact it was the knife that got me back into buying Spydercos just before I joined this forum.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Anthony,
I am almost on the same boat. I tried to love Kershaw. It is great American company. My first purchase was Nakamura. Bolsters, wood. This is what I like. But the wood was little too light for my taste and I didn't like multi- layered bolsters. The next I bought limited run mini-Cyclon. ZDP, Titanium. Looks good. Just do not fit into my hand well enough to keep. Next was Blur with super gold steel. good ergos, but didn't like the blade shape.
The latest, I bought ZT 561. Just heard so much about flippers, so when I saw sale @ my favorite pharmacy I got one. I like it a lot so far. I also like ZT 0600, but I am afraid that it will be cost prohibitive for me.
BTW, why would you need Leek? Much better get N5. I know you want it :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

In the beginning, I had equal number of Kershaws and Spydies. For some reason, I've given most of the Kershaws away... ;)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Holland

Post by Holland »

my first quality knife was a kershaw blur, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then i found spyderco and learned what real quality was
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I find this in most brands that "compete" in the same market. Buck, Kershaw, Gerber etc. Even Benchmade, who I think does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting, I just never carry or use.

My first two "quality" knives were a Buck Duke and a Gerber folding Hunter. Then in 81-82 I found Spyderco. Now the only knives I like that aren't Spyderco are in areas they don't compete. My carbon steel kitchen knives for example. And my carbon steel Opinels are keepers. But other than that....

Ken
玉鋼
Invective

Post by Invective »

Sal certainly has spoilt us by putting top quality steels in many different iterations and knives. That said, Kershaw does a lot of work with top steels too, but it seems that they keep them much more exclusive and rarer, and a **** of a lot more expensive. I do like a lot of the higher-end Kershaws an ZTs (the 0888 and 0777 absolutely gorgeous and the 0600 is supposedly coming with CTS B75P which is an absolute beast of a steel, by my reckoning) but for the price, I would much rather try out B75P in the :spyder: mule and Super Blue in the Caly3.5, or even ZDP in my Ladybug.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I like the few Kershaw's that I have. My leek is the one with G10/S30V. But I had to look online for that one, the lower priced versions you'll see at Walmart are slick aluminum handled, and a lesser steel. I haven't had any problems with my Blur, except that the thumb stud is uncomfortably sharp, no comparison to a Spydie hole :) . I like the sturdiness of my ZT 0350, but I am not as excited about its recurve blade shape. My ZT 0560 I do really like, but price-wise it was pretty expensive too.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think Kershaw does a very good job of hitting a lot of price points, kind of the Trek/Specialized of the knife world, if you're familiar with bicycles. Their cheap chinese imports are at least as nice as Byrd knives, and maybe a bit more consistent. Their US-made stuff like the Skyline and the base-line Leeks/Scallions etc. are remarkably well-priced for a US-made product with good warranty. They do produce sprints etc. in higher-end steels (the current run of Blurs with CPM-154 being one example), and they have ZT to compete with Benchmade or Golden/Taichung-made Spydercos.

That said, I don't find as much value in Kershaw's knives (or anyone's, really) as I do in Spyderco's, and there are fewer Kershaws that are really attractive to me from a design standpoint. I find my Spydercos to be the most well thought-out knives I've ever used, and I really enjoy the steel selection, which I feel is lacking from most other manufacturers.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Andy Blackwell

Post by Andy Blackwell »

I have a blur, bought a refurb off of the net, its ok. The thumbstud is sharp, and scratched the crap out of my hands a few times while reaching into my pocket for other things. I used it to pop out an aluminum end-cap thing off of the window blinds at work. This tiny bit of .25 second work marred the edge on the blade.

I like its design, and the speedsafe AO is blurringly fast (see what I did there?) but Im not a huge fan of the knifes quality.

I also had a chive or scallion or another vegetable related knives, but that thing was wayyy to small for my gorilla hands.. You live, you learn I suppose.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I like most of the various knife companies. I have more Spydercos that any other brand too.

Kershaw is one of my favorite knife companies, I only got into them recently. I think that they are doing a lot of neat designs with some great custom makers through collaborations.

There is a lot of great innovation available today for sure. I got into knife collecting just over 18 years ago and am pleasantly surprised by how good it is!
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

kershaw is going low end imho-

they used to do stuff like the minicyclone zdp ti-for a decent price- i have 2- and a damascus ti leek- Frankensteined

now its either a sub 50$ piece or some rare 400$ one- not much in the 100-150 range that ive seen
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have a plain jane Chive and it is a nice quality knife at a reasonable price. great action, holds a good edge for cheap steel, very inconspicuous. grip is small but on a knife this size I'm not expecting a full hammer grip. One of my favorite small knives and it feels like quality. Usually carry larger and defer to spydies. Still will carry it as a third mini NKP-compatible blade for light mundane tasks.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

For me it is just classic Spydies, milie etc.
I have purchased a benchmade presidio lately though.
I would like to see the Rexford series from Kershaw, the style is clean. I need a CPM154 blur too(de-assisted).
I was too late on the Microtech Socom Elite Plain Edge also, preferably a user steel.
spyde

Post by spyde »

I like some of Kershaw older Japan and USA made knives. Some of the lockbacks with the rosewood inlays but spyderco knives have that certain quality of knowing you are holding something reliable and I just don't get that with Kershaw knives.