My Endura now belongs to the TSA. What do I replace it with?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'd say give the Manix 2 Ltwt a try....awesome knife....super lightweight....
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Holland wrote:id get either an g10 stretch, or a paramilitary2
Do they make a G10 Stretch? If so, I want one!!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
willyp_ig

Post by willyp_ig »

Thanks for input everybody. I used to spend more time lurking the forums and I'm glad the see the community is still one of the best to be found online.

I should have asked if there was some option to mail the knife back to myself, god forbid a TSA agent actually be helpful.

From what I've read in this thread I think I'll stick with the Endura. I'm intrigued by this super blue sprint run. I think I'll go ahead and buy a regular FFG Endura and maybe pick up a super blue stretch when it comes out. Right now I'm carrying a Kershaw Zing as a temporary replacement for the Endura. It's not a bad knife, but I'm anxious to have a Spyderco back in my pocket. Thanks for the advice.
Holland

Post by Holland »

jon1all wrote:Do they make a G10 Stretch? If so, I want one!!
oops, meant to say VG10 haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

I've had FRN Enduras in saber and Waved. Now having the Stretch, I couldn't consider another Endura, FFG or not. The Stretch FRN just feels so much better in the hand, and is more compact. You give up what, like 1/8" of edge? Plus, I like the better safety (perception only?) of one-hand closing my Stretch, letting the choil stop on my finger, rather than the kick of the Endura. Oh yes, and around the NKP at my office, every little bit counts...and I just can't help but see the Stretch as less dramatic to the unknowing eye. :)

I've been fondling the Manix 2 FRN for a bit now. I've not added it to my sig-line, as I'm not sure it's a keeper yet. Gives the appearance of being heck-for-stout, and even more hand-filling than the Stretch in each dimension. Yet, shorter blade and edge vs. overall size. Still, I keep thinking it could fill the role of a light-duty MBC as back-up to the gun/s, LOL. That BBL is very confidence-inspiring. I'm not educated enough to be a steel-snob, at least not yet. So, I'm not all caught-up in that so much. So far as around the office? Oh HECK NO! :eek:
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Skywarp wrote:Pardon my ignorance but what is the TSA?
In 2002 or so Bush created the Department of Homeland Security and the TSA, among other things. Most of our (the general public) interaction with the TSA comes in the form of them providing airport security etc, which used to done privately (if I'm not mistaken).

They are notorious for being overbearing, because they introduced some new regulations which were more restrictive than the previous ones (for example, no liquids over a certain amount, say 4 oz).

The OP must have carried his Endura into the airport (forgetting to check it), and the TSA confiscated it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I am like most everyone that is on this forum, in that I carry knives constantly.
I would be more likely to walk out of my house without shoes, rather that
without a knife (or gun for that matter).
My office doesn't allow carry, so I am used to leaving it in my truck in the morning.
However, I constantly have to remind myself that I have a knife or two in my pocket
when I go to certain buildings, such as City Hall where they have a check point.

I have had to make a return trip to my truck a few times. I try to remember, and
usually do, but if you are like me, you don't even think about it, until it is too late.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Some airports do have facilities to mail items back to your home. The TSA may or not not have been helpful in directing you towards any such services though. It is a hit and miss thing depending on the airport.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
iyn

Post by iyn »

Have you tried the stretch 2?
anomad

Post by anomad »

PMBohol wrote:Some airports do have facilities to mail items back to your home. The TSA may or not not have been helpful in directing you towards any such services though. It is a hit and miss thing depending on the airport.
PHX saved my bacon and favourite neck knife. Nice folks, you could buy a padded envelope and postage right there and pay with plastic.
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

Of all the knives I own (expensive or not), the Endura is my most carried knife. Great knife, great price, does just about everything you'd want a knife to do.