A drop goes a long way.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

A drop goes a long way.

Post by Waco »

My Native 5 was getting annoyingly stiff to open and close. One well-placed drop of mineral oil and it feels like new again. :) I went ahead and gave my other Spydies the same treatment.
BAL

Post by BAL »

No doubt. Lubricant is an amazing thing.

I'll grab a can of WD-40 and walk around just looking for something to shoot at.
The dogs all run away from me when they see that blue and yellow can in my hand.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Keep em oiled and sharp. You will never have a dull moment in ur life. Everything will go smoothly. :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i love the feeling of a freshly cleaned and oiled knife :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

KardinalSyn wrote:Keep em oiled and sharp.
That advice would apply to several different areas of life, Kardinal!

TedP
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

waco kid wrote:My Native 5 was getting annoyingly stiff to open and close. One well-placed drop of mineral oil and it feels like new again. :) I went ahead and gave my other Spydies the same treatment.
Waco - when I saw the title to your thread, I thought you had dropped your Native and something had gone terribly wrong... :eek: Whew!

TedP
Holland

Post by Holland »

phillipsted wrote:Waco - when I saw the title to your thread, I thought you had dropped your Native and something had gone terribly wrong... :eek: Whew!

TedP
haha, i thought he dropped it and it solved a problem he was having
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I use MILITEC on my folders and I have for quite some time now. I've heard that there are new lubes out there that can compete with MILITEC but I have had such excellent luck with it that I tend to want to lean on tried and true wisdom >> In other words "IF It Ain'T Broke Then Don't Try To Fix It"

There are so many new "Nano-tech " lubes out there on the market and you most certainly can't go wrong with anything that Sentry Solutions puts out. I don't like WD40 because I've had residue build up problems with it in the past. Most all of your silcone based auto lubes work well on folders as well. Good LUCK
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've used Mil-Tec also with great success. My brother has a heavy flashlight thread grease which also seems to work wonders mostly smoothing operation. Mineral oil is my go-to lube for cost and non-toxicity but I have a Tuff Glide wipe coming in the mail with my Caly3 Super Blue :D .

I would probably stay away from WD-40 unless using it to break up gunk stuck in tools. That or keeping chainsaw blades and larger tools from rusting.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just do not put too much oil. It attracts dust. I oil locks only after I wash knives. Also WD40 is not a good lubricant.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I use mineral Oil on my folders that come in contact with food,and Use MILITEC on the ones that don`t,thanks to my buddy JD Spydo,he got me hooked on the MILITEC,And have been very satisfied with it`s performance.