My Endura now belongs to the TSA. What do I replace it with?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
willyp_ig

My Endura now belongs to the TSA. What do I replace it with?

Post by willyp_ig »

It's been a while since my last post - many new developments since 2007. I've not followed Spyderco for the past few years and I wanted to get some input on a replacement for my Endura that I donated to the TSA. I really hope someone at least took the knife home instead of it getting destroyed.

The Endura had been my edc for the past 4 years and I had initially planned on replacing it with a new flat grind model. I started looking around and saw the new Manix lightweight. I've never owned one, but I always liked the blade shape of the Manix. I do wish it had a mid lock instead of the ball lock, but I suppose I could get used to it.

Have any of you Endura users moved to the Manix? Also, how is the bd1 steel? I usually sharpen with a 1000/6000 waterstone and touch up the edge on a ceramic steel when necessary.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I got a SS Endura before I got a Manix 2 XL. Not the best to compare with but they were two totally different blades. I would say that you should buy what you like most.

Sorry to hear about your Endura.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

willyp_ig wrote:I do wish it had a mid lock instead of the ball lock, but I suppose I could get used to it.
Welcome back! Danged TSA!

As to the lock, it's a preference thing, of course. I vastly prefer the CBBL to any mid/front/back lock. Much earlier one hand operation, to me. But the others have their fans. You won't know until you try it. (and give it some time)

When I first tried a CBBL I didn't like it nearly as well as the uncoated ball (Phoenix, D'Allara, Dodo etc). That is still my favorite. But I got used to it and now it's my second favorite lock.

Can't help you on the BD1, my favorite Manix is the CPM-M4.

Ken
玉鋼
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Hard to beat the Endura. That is all..
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Since you've edc'd the Endura lockback for so long, why not just get another or a Stretch? Using the Endura is probably second nature to you by now, no need to complicate the search unless you find the knife to be lacking in some way in the years you edc'd it. "My knife" is the Stretch, I highly recommend it and would be an easy switch from the Endura.

There's plenty of options with the Endura, and a SuperBlue steel version is coming out soon if you don't mind a patina. Also consider the waved Endura and my favorite of them all the BRG ZDP189!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I second the stretch recommendation.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I hope it got destroyed so no one got a free knife - stupid laws! Sorry about the rant. FFG Enduras are really nice, by the way.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Sorry about your loss bud. I would recommend Police G10. It's a bit bigger than Endura, but the handle is thinner and it feels great in hand.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

If you are agreeable to change and new experiences, I would go with the Manix. If not, a new Endura would fit the bill.

Personally, I would try the Manix. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Either the FFG Endura or a Stretch would be great choices. I prefer the Stretch personally, but both are excellent. If you were really dedicated to the midlock, you could always try to find an original Manix, which featured the midlock instead of the ball lock.

The Manix 2 Lightweight didn't do it for me the one time I tried it. I'd use it while ultralight backpacking maybe, but for an EDC I want liners. Otherwise it's a bit too light, and doesn't inspire as much confidence as the Endura or even a Delica. I also felt the choil was a bit off, not really what I expected compared to the choil on the Stretch.

BD1 is supposed to be Carpenter's version of Gin-1/G-2, which was the original steel in the first generation of Delicas/Enduras in the 90s. It's known as a good working steel, and I haven't tried it, but I think I'd take VG-10 or 154CM or S30V or ZDP-189 (trying to list what's available for Enduras and Manixes, lol) over it if at all possible.

If you do decide to go Endura, there's a sprint run coming out in Aogami Super Blue steel, which would be a really nice way to get "back in the game." ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Don't most airports have a service that will mail your sharp objects home? I vote for a new Endura.
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

I love my Manix 2 LW, FWIW. I've been nothing but impressed with BD1. Sharpens easily, holds an edge very well for my purposes, and hasn't stained at all with pretty minimal upkeep. Absolutely love the lock and the comfort of the volcano grip'd FRN handles. Perfectly balanced, disappears in the pocket... etc, etc!

Although, as others are saying -- we do have the Endura and Stretch coming out in Super Blue this year. Worth a thought if you like non-stainless.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

You should handle a Manix before getting one. It is bulkier than the Endura. I agree with those who suggest either another Endura, or a Stretch, or a Police. The Police has a blade over 4" long, so check local laws first if you consider that model.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Another vote for the Endura. Perhaps the ZDP blade version.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Ulize?
BAL

Post by BAL »

Sorry about your loss. That's a tough one.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

If it's going to be your EDC, get another FRN Endura or Stretch. They are relatively cheap to replace.
Holland

Post by Holland »

id get either an g10 stretch, or a paramilitary2
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Pardon my ignorance but what is the TSA?
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Skywarp wrote:Pardon my ignorance but what is the TSA?
The Transportation Security Agency.

http://www.tsa.gov/