2013: Year of the Giveaway

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

As per other posts nice sentiment good on ya fella the more good guys the better I'm out but good luck to those in nice knife ;) .
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

tvenuto wrote:To enter, please tell us: What is your primary cutting task? Is the knife you choose optimized for this cutting task (steel, blade geometry, size, etc), or do you choose based on something else?
Thank you for the chance, tvenuto.

My primary cutting tasks are package opening and minor food preparation. My main edc is the zdp stretch 2, which one could argue is very well suited to both of these tasks. However, I chose it based on size, ergonomics, and the rave reviews of forumites.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Schneib

Post by Schneib »

Thanks for the great giveaway Tvenuto!
My EDC is a Manix 2, and I use it mostly for light cutting duties such as cutting cardboard or sometimes food prep. I really enjoy S30-V and VG-10 steels because they hold an edge for a long time and are stainless. I think that the Delica would be great for my cutting tasks. Since I am tight on cash I think that this is an awesome chance to win a great knife, thanks again!
:spyder: Manix 2 XL, Manix 2, Cricket. Can't wait to get more!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I admire you picking up the torch and running with it. I share your love for the delica, but I have plenty in my collection. The green is a lovely shade and I hope whom ever wins will enjoy it. You may leave me off of your list or I will defer to the number that follows mine.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
impulse2010

Post by impulse2010 »

I choose my delica 4 orange for EDC and backpacking for its lightweight and cutting power. I wouldn't mind a different color one to use also ( plus green would go good in the woods :) ). I am sure if i dont win it whoever does win it will be very satisfied.
grandepatron

Post by grandepatron »

As others have stated, awesome to see another give away.

Primary Cutting tasks include: paper, tape, cardboard, food prep, first aid, and light construction tasks.

I base my choice of blades on ergonomics, reviews, steels, and ability for defensive uses.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Thx for the giveaway.
A "small knife" especially one with a coloured handle is Always handy to have around the sheeple.
Most mundane cutting tasks can be accomplished with a delica.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Another great giveaway!! Thanks for the opportunity.

I only own 2 spyderco. Both are frn with molded clips. It is due time to upgrade to a new model. I keep my PE FRN Delica on me at all times. great EDC. light weight, perfect blade shape, and outstanding durability for me.
My other knife that sees more of the hard use is my FRN CE Pro-grip. my daily tasks range from the usual of opening packages and breaking down cardboard to lots of construction work. Stripping wire, de-burring pvc and metal pipe, trimming sheetrock, cutting zip ties, you name it. I love my old spydies, but I am looking forward to testing the newer ones, well new to me. Thanks again!!
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Thanks a lot for the chance, man! Been meaning to FINALLY add a Delica to the lineup.

So, yeah -- primary cutting tasks. Well, lots of food prep lately, and I've been using my carbon steel Opinel for that.
Outside of eating, it would be -- letter/package opening, string cutting, uhm... anything and everything! My larger, do-everything edc knife rotates between a Chokwe and Manix 2 LW lately.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Thanks for the chance.

Primary cutting tasks:
Opening boxes, cutting up cardboard, foodprep.
Love my ffg spydies for those tasks.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

My primary carry knife is a paramilitary2 with various blade steels including S35VN, CTS-XHP, 20CP and M390. I primarily use it for opening packages, the mail and breaking down boxes. The steels are like using an elephant gun for hunting squirrels but I don't care. Thanks for the great opportunity!
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for all the responses, and keep 'em coming. We talk a lot about what blade shapes and grinds are good for what, and which steels have which properties, but I think it's interesting to hear which knife actually makes it into your pocket and why. One week left!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

What do you guys think of RWL34 I have a custom in this steel and it has brilliant edge retention even where it isn't as sharp as some of my other blades it bites harder.
Giving it great cutting ability has there been any mules or spyderco models in this steel ?
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Very generous GAW. My primary use is basically cutting shrink wrap and tape from pallets at work....opening packages, etc...I would definitely use a Delica in that role. Thanks again!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Dankerz

Post by Dankerz »

Thanks for the giveaway!

My primary cutting tasks are cardboard boxes, zip ties, and opening clamshells. Spyderco's full flat grind makes slicing so much easier.
808Manix

Post by 808Manix »

Thanks for the chance.

Primary cutting tasks are cardboard, paper, fishing line.... EDC is the dragonfly salt. Love how the knife disapears in you pocket and having the peace of mind that the H1 won't rust after a day of fishing.
:spyder: C101GP Mini Manix PE

:spyder: SP204MF Sharpmaker
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for the giveaway opportunity!

The primary task for which I call upon my knives is food prep. I don't have any of the Spyderco kitchen knives, so the knife that gets used is whatever Spyderco I have in my pocket: from my H1 Ladybug hawkbill or my orange Military to my M390 Para 2 or the Pingo, they all do food prep. Some do a better job than others, but they all get the job done, whether it be slicing vegetables, chopping spices, cutting up chicken, or spreading peanut butter (okay, I haven't used a Spydie for that last one :rolleyes :) .
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks for the chance, food prep, cardboard box opening and breakdown, and random thread cutting are my usual tasks. I did have to use my GB on sheet rock today for enlarging holes for CCTV cables that we installed at home.
snoofer

Post by snoofer »

Thanks for the Opp

Primary Blade...Byrd Meadowlark 2
At work its used to cut boxes...
Plastic bags...
Towels...
....and saving the Best for Last.... Sharpening Pencils.
Working in Quality (Lab) we have plenty of sharpeners around, but for some strange reason I love sharpening the pencils.
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

My EDC is a Centofante IV. My primary cutting tasks are cutting open card board boxes, food prep, self defense in emergency. I prefer VG-10 as it is SS yet holds an edge and is still easy to sharpen. It's an ideal all around steel.