Looking for a Great quality pocket knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thedwarf

Looking for a Great quality pocket knife

Post by Thedwarf »

I have been looking around to add to my growing collection of knives. Spyderco came to me by word of mouth, which to is the best way to find a great product. What I am having a problem with is the type of knife and the metal used. Does anyone have a recommendation to a good beginning knife from Spyderco? I would like to keep it the price around $60.00 for starters.

Respectfully,

The Dwarf!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!

I would get a ffg delica. It has vg10 steel which is extremely corrosion resistant, it takes a very nice edge, and is easy to sharpen. Plus everyone needs a delica in their collection :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

Hello and welcome Thedwarf in this great community of fantastic people :-)
Same idea of Holland: Spyderco Delica! Great choice of colours, very good steel, very practical, 4ways clip and made in Japan ;-) A good all-rounder and you can also choice with a serrated, partialy serrated or plain edge, or with wave opener!!! Unbelievable...
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I would have to agree with the two previous posts. The Delica is a good buy, and the Endura is another option if you're looking for something a little bigger.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Hi, and welcome. If it was me I'd throw an extra 10 bucks in the mix and get a Stretch. Same steel as the Delica (VG10). Same handle material (FRN). But with a 50/50 finger choil and better ergos. The Delica is no doubt Spyderco classic, as is the Endura. But I like the Stretch because it seems to fit right in between the two and has the above-mentioned benefits.

A little shopping around should net you a Stretch for about 70 bucks.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would agree with Holland's suggestion for the FFG Delica. It has a vast array of color choices and VG-10 is a great steel to learn! I would also suggest looking at the Native. The hollow grind creates a super thin edge and makes for a mean cutting machine depending on the thickness of the media you cut the most. The Native's S30V is also easy to maintain and keep a toothy edge with just the brown (medium) spyderco stone.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
setldown

Post by setldown »

Welcome

Since you already have a growing collection you may want to add something a little different. My vote would be for a Delica with an Emerson opener.
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Welcome man.
I would vote for the Endura, Delica, the Tenacious (if you want to spend less,) or the Native
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Welcome! For that price I would go Delica, or potentially the Tenacious.
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Welcome! Take a gander at the Delica, Native, or Dragonfly.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

Paramilitary II

probably the best all-around knife that Spyderco makes... or if you like bigger blades... go with the Military...

If you like small blades... the G-10 Dragonfly 2

my 2 cents...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Centofante 3 or Stretch get my vote. Classy looking and functional both, without breaking the bank.

Gordon
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Don't go for a Native5. You might conclude there are no better choices.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Delica is a great place to start. If you let us know how it will be used we can make better suggestions.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kromo

Post by kromo »

wrdwrght wrote:Don't go for a Native5. You might conclude there are no better choices.
why???
i have one and is a great poket knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, "great quality" and "around $60" are mutually exclusive. However, $60 will get you a FRN/VG-10 Delica, which is an excellent knife for its price both in terms of steel and fit and finish, and probably the best "introduction to Spyderco" you could ask for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Thedwarf wrote:I have been looking around to add to my growing collection of knives. Spyderco came to me by word of mouth, which to is the best way to find a great product. What I am having a problem with is the type of knife and the metal used. Does anyone have a recommendation to a good beginning knife from Spyderco? I would like to keep it the price around $60.00 for starters.

Respectfully,

The Dwarf!
First question I thought of is are you going to carry the knife or have it in a collection. The Delica is definately one for the collection. IMO it "sets the standard" for Spyderco or knives in general. Personal preference can take you in other directions from there as far as EDC (smaller, bigger, handle shape, etc.). If you will carry and use the knife your needs will dictate what you buy. But, the Delica is a great place to start for collection or use.

So, get a Delica. With the model you have a choice of blade steel and handle color. If you want to carry it and if you want smaller? Dragonfly2. If you want bigger? Stretch. You may need to add a couple bucks for the Stretch but if you want a little extra blade lenght and a GREAT feeling handle it's hard to beat a Stretch. Choice of blade steel also available with the Stretch but more bucks for ZDP-189. Actually, you can get VG-10 or ZDP-189 on all of these models as well as H1 on the D'fly.

Picking the knife is not as easy as some people may think. Sometimes I haven't known which one I'm going to buy until about 45 seconds before placing the order. :) Until then there may be a few on the possibility list. :D

Whatever you decide will make you happy I bet.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Welcome to the forum, Thedwarf!

I'd agree with most of the folks here - the Delica is a great place to start. I've had a variety of Delicas since the early 1990s, and ounce-for-ounce, dollar-for-dollar, nothing can beat it. If you are looking for something a little smaller that fits in the pocket, you might look for a DragonFly 2.

TedP
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Dragonfly,Delica,Native,Stretch, Endura, and the light weight Manix are all in that price range.
JD Spydo

Welcome To Spyderville

Post by JD Spydo »

Pharmagator wrote:Paramilitary II

probably the best all-around knife that Spyderco makes... or if you like bigger blades... go with the Military...

If you like small blades... the G-10 Dragonfly 2

my 2 cents...
Well Brother I agree with your "2 cents" and it makes a lot of common sense when you think it over. There is no way at all you can go wrong with the Paramilitary or Military model either one. First off I like Golden Colorado USA EArth Spyders and I think that a USA made unit is a great way to get your feet wet in a pool of Spyders :D :spyder:

Now my tastes have gotten in a state of being Spoiled Rotten :rolleyes: My main EDC (Every Day Carry) at this time is the G-10 handled Sprint Run of the C-60 Massad Ayoob model. With a VG-10 blade there is just no way you can go wrong >> that is if you do decide to get one of the Japan made Spyderco models.

Or you can go with a ZDP-189 Delica which would be super dependable and you wouldn't have to sharpen nearly as often with ZDP-189 steel. Just look over the online catalog and see what looks pleasing to you >> and by the way WELCOME TO SPYDERVILLE :cool: :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!