Using a Spydie to open bottles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Using a Spydie to open bottles

Post by KardinalSyn »

This thread is a result of another that focused on CF.

I have always been interested in how some members explain how they have used their Spydie to open bottles/remove bottle caps.

The other thread explained about using the handle to do this, using the Spydie hole, using the blade's spine and even the waved part of the knife.

Out of these methods, I am sure that there is a negative impact when using the wave or the blades spines or the Spydie hole.

So I have a simple question. Have any of you seriously messed up your Spydie doing this?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Let Us Slay !

Post by Let Us Slay ! »

I was scared of scratching my spine as well when opening bottles. But after I actually did it a few times with a vg10 spyder it didnt leave a single mark, the bladesteel is obviously much harder than a bottle cap.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My buddy uses his for that purpose all the time. Never even seen him use a real opener.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My old beater waved Delica developed a bunch of play but I don't know if that was just other used or the bottle opening. It was never "sloppy" or unsafe.

Besides looking cool, for me, using a knife to open a bottle is silly. I have a Gerber Shard on my keyring and a Leatherman Style PS in the pocket at all times. Same reason one could use a lighter or cell phone as a flashlight but there are unquestionably superior tools...like flashlights :) .
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm so uncoordinated that I'm afraid of cutting myself opening a cap with one of my Spydies. That's why I carry an Atwood Pest on my key chain...

TedP

Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Tried it with my endura wave before, started thinking what am I doing? I got it off but never did it again. I never considered the handle I'll chew up up some frn for tasty beverages ;)
Use a lighter, its handy to have around and mangling a bic will never be as bad.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I must lead a sheltered life. :o I can't recall the last time I opened a bottle that required a cap lifter anywhere besides my kitchen, a party where the host had one right near the cooler, or a glass bottle dispensing vending machine with a built in opener.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I use my SAK or one of these

Adriolo Wriggler+

Atwood

Love Atwood :D

Keyton

Pest

G5 Prybaby

G5b Prybaby

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:I must lead a sheltered life. :o I can't recall the last time I opened a bottle that required a cap lifter anywhere besides my kitchen, a party where the host had one right near the cooler, or a glass bottle dispensing vending machine with a built in opener.
I switched to the low carb diet (whiskey :p ). Bottle openers are less important than ever before.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I use the lock bar, so a part of the handle, to open bottles when hunting or working in the field/wood. Lately I attached a cap-lifter to my keyring, trying to grow up-I will take it off and again rely on Delica/Robin/Ladybug backlock bars.
Some FRN got scratched and I didn`t expect anything else.
I am aware this is not by all means an intended use for my knives but using the warranty isn`t an option for me, it would cost almost the knife`s value to send it in. Using the blade spine or opening device located on it seems to be too much of a risk stressing the pivot.
I wouldn`t use high end or limited production beauty to get to a sip of beer or lemonade but G10 Byrds and FRN constant production :spyder: s serve me well in that regard and, again, I am aware it is not what the knife is made for.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

I rip it with the spyderhole. Never makes damaged the knife or even scratched it so it works well
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a HEST fixed blade that has a bottle opener built-in, but I've never used it -- it has been 3 or 4 decades since I last had a soda in a glass bottle, and I don't drink alcohol at all. I have my vices, but alcohol isn't one of them :) . If I need a bottle opener, I'd probably use my SAK or leatherman -- I *have* used the can opener on those quite a few times.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Real men open bottles with their teeth.

There, I said it. :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

DO NOT TRY IT ON A TWISTIE!!!!

Very bad things will happen.......I have never had a problem opening bottles with a blade before. The skinnier knife blades work better, delica or endura etc. but I tried it on like a bud light one time and since it was a twist off it jacked it all up, broke the glass there were pieces in the beer lol it was not a good time..I simply put the spine of the blade below the edge of the bottle cap and use both hands to push it upwards. Always works quite well. But like I said only on non twisties lol Sam Adams, corona etc.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Evil D wrote:Real men open bottles with their teeth.

There, I said it. :D
:D

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Or maybe this is a solution :D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When I was a kid, I rode a Schwinn Predator, and we used to use the little opening in the frame gusset behind the head tube to open rootbeer bottles.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Have used the spine of my Stretch (not anymore), tried to use the FRN handle once (BAD idea, smacked myself in the forehead real quick). There is a small mark in the FRN, and an even smaller mark on the spine of the blade. Hard to see unless you're looking for it, but still wish I hadn't tried. Use a SAK at home.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have used spydies in a pinch if there werent any bottle openers around. at home i use this

the kids like to pratice on it when i take it out.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D